Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12

Author Topic: Beware the Giant Sponge  (Read 106253 times)

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beware the Giant Sponge
« Reply #135 on: March 06, 2012, 12:15:42 pm »

It looks as if Sponges are now benign.

I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2012, 01:13:38 pm »

Doesn't that still mean that they will attack? Even benign creatures will attack if they're cornered. And since the Sponge can't move, it's cornered from the start.

... Right?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 06, 2012, 09:38:12 pm »

Well, now they won't cause mass job cancelations. Making it easier to get rid of the damn things. Then again, if what you're saying is true, woe is the dorf fortress that happens to have giant sponges at the edges of their rivers.

Anyhow, the brief rein of the Giant Sponge as the king of a sea should be commemorated in the wiki. Most passive agressive menace to dwarven society ever.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 09:40:46 pm by Archereon »
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 06, 2012, 11:29:17 pm »

Most passive-agressive menace to dwarven society ever.
Heh, that gives me the image of thousands upon thousands of passive-aggressive notes being left all over a fortress signed simply The Sponge.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2012, 03:58:36 pm »

Just embarked on an untamed wilds area and quickly saw the red C pop up, checking the combat reports I saw a report from an echidna man and woman. The reports said they both had just curled up into a ball. "Well they're more scared of my dwarfs than my dwarfs are of them!" I thought, "And they're on the other side of a stream, so no worries." Well, they are still right there a season later. So I looked in the stream and, sure enough, they are right next to a giant sponge. Did the sponge scare them? Since it won't ever move, will they stay curled up in little balls forever?

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2012, 06:12:35 pm »

Not even a vampire unicorn can stop a vampire giant sponge...

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2012, 06:25:52 pm »

Continuing from my previous post, nothing can kill them. Bronze collossi, Unicorns, Carp, elephants all tests show they are invincible. Is this the trend we are finding?

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2012, 06:27:06 pm »

Nothing but a cave-in, obsidian/ice encasing, a drawbridge or an eerie glowing pit (i mean being tossed in it) can stop a vampire giant sponge. Yes, giant sponges are that badass.

Though best weapon dummy ever.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2012, 06:38:56 pm »

..... terrible thought....

Can sponges create a werecurse? 

Ordinarily, this would just cause riotous laughter, as urist McUseless morphs into the spongy menace.....

But, coupled with autozombies................... and dwarf cloning..................

Oh gods, the terror!

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2012, 06:49:53 pm »

It's winter now and the two echidna people are still curled up in terror right next to the giant sponge. So, as well as all the other badassery they are capable of, they make great echidna traps...

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2012, 06:51:26 pm »

..... terrible thought....

Can sponges create a werecurse? 

Ordinarily, this would just cause riotous laughter, as urist McUseless morphs into the spongy menace.....

But, coupled with autozombies................... and dwarf cloning..................

Oh gods, the terror!

It's my understanding that werecurses are never generated using aquatic animals (as that would be pretty ridiculous-- imagine the mean lifespan of a werewhale).  However, one could certainly mod in such a curse.

The thing is that sponges wouldn't really benefit from zombie lycanthrope cloning, because they don't have any zombifiable parts.  That is, they have no hands or head to cut off, to turn into a new zombie.  A curse that turned one into a giant two-handed weresponge, however, would be something terrifying, at least on reanimating biome.  The proliferation of giant undead weresponges would pretty much spell the end of the world.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 07, 2012, 06:59:49 pm »

Turning into undead zombie dwarves is the danger.  They have severable parts in that form, and being undead, don't need to breathe.

They are motile while in dwarf form, but on the full moon...... forest of blood sucking zombie sponges! Your masterwork axe, it does nothing!

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 07, 2012, 07:05:17 pm »

Duh, of course!

Simply terrifying.  I will not be able to sleep tonight, paralyzed by the howls of giant zombie sponges.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

rkyeun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 15, 2012, 11:31:07 pm »

Sponges need to be coded to have a "root" body part, and several "branch" body parts which act as gills.
Sponges need to bleed "sponge ichor" when bludgeoned, and be severed by slashing weapons. Making it bleed enough will kill it, and severing all its branches so it has no gills will kill it. BUT!
Severed sponge parts use something like the necromancy code to raise themselves as not-undead juvenile sponges.
Sponge ichor is a contaminant infects sponge flesh and causes the growth of those "branch" body parts as a syndrome.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2012, 05:53:38 am »

Sponge ichor is a contaminant infects sponge flesh and causes the growth of those "branch" body parts as a syndrome.
FTFY
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12