Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12

Author Topic: Beware the Giant Sponge  (Read 106145 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Beware the Giant Sponge
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 07:26:49 am »

Capture them. Place them outside your fort in 1x1 ponds with lever controlled hatches over top. When goblins come pull the lever, the goblins should path to the sponges and attack them. After they all begin collapsing from exhaustion close the hatches and send one dwarf with a hammer to mop up the whole siege.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 07:38:03 am »

or leave the sponge to maul them.

can sponges bleed to death?
Nope, I've never actually observed one die. My concern would be that the sponge might eventually charge and air-drown on shore.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 07:43:21 am »

Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

...Someone needs to make a Spongebob mod.

varangian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 08:16:41 am »

It probably pushed them to death; large creatures that have had all their limbs removed (or, in this case, never had them) can still kill dwarves that way. It's probably easier to imagine that it simply crushed them to death by rolling on them.

That's pretty much it. The dwarves it killed were basically pushed so badly arteries or brains became disconnected or in some cases pushed into the river in which they then drowned.

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 09:19:30 am »

Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...

IS ANGER.
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 10:04:43 am »

Dwarf Fortress The Movie: Revenge of the carp

Without a nervous system...
The only thing they can feel...

IS ANGER.

We have a title and a tagline, now we just need a poster. I'm imagining a pile of bearded skulls, with one sponge-y tendril beckoning the viewer.....

automaticsquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 10:42:14 am »

wait if they basically cant die could one use them for something like incredibly long term marksdwarf training if captured? might be even better then those FBs that are only technically unkilable.does it even move though can you catch it?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 10:44:49 am »

The Sponge is now the 2012 mascot :P

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 10:53:09 am »

I was laughing my ass off at this entire thread, and go to reply, when I notice that i've been sigged! <3 DoctorMonch.

Anyway, back on the rails. To this entire thread:

- The mass of giant sponges makes them dangerous even with a shove. One might wonder exactly how they are able to move.
- They have no nervous system, yet they feel anger. Poor thing.
- They have no central nervous system, yet cutting off the head of a sponge man seems to kill it. And no conventional weaponry seems to be able to have effect on a normal sponge.

A bit of arena testing makes the following conclusion:
Conventional (non-chemical and thermal weapons) are the wise way of dealing with giant sponges. A shove from a giant sponge was more than enough to cave in the skull of an olm man in my arena testing. Rushing a giant sponge with 10 olm men led to something interesting. The sponge crushed 5 of them, before giving in to pain. And it's just sitting there now, still being hacked apart by the olm men with steel battle axes, to no avail. I tried it with a small sponge. It was definitely less lethal, a single olm man fighting it couldn't get crushed, and the sponge quickly passed out in pain.

In the past, I did research on flesh balls as training devices. They could make a legendary soldier not much slower than a danger room, but only with blunt weapons. Sponges seem to be the pinnacle of semi-live-fire training devices, cause they don't move and don't fall to edged weapons. I'm probably gonna do some research on it and report back later.

Obviously, sponges are a sentient, intelligent alien species inside an organic landing pod, cushioned to absorb the impact of hitting the ground from orbit. Inside these pods, the creatures sit. They will sit for as long as it takes, watching. Watching how we function, behave, and react. They will wait until the time is right before emerging from their passive girth that has been their disguise and conquer the world. If you attack the pod, they can fight back, they will get mad at you for denting their ride, and if they are too overwhelmed, they will curl up into a passive state and wait out the onslaught. We need to bathe the impostors with liquid fire, or use their pods as equipment to train the legions of axedwarves necessary to repulse the onslaught when it arrives.

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 10:56:52 am »

Set your engravers and statue makers to full speed: I want to see the depictions of the sponges kills XD.

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 11:02:40 am »

Don't fuck with Spongebob.
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

automaticsquid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 11:34:09 am »

interesting i would love to have one of my own for training purposes or just to mess around with they sound fun! what kinds of biomes do the show up on? i don't think the wiki has updated with the new creatures yet.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 11:38:51 am »

Ocean biomes

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 11:41:12 am »

Giant sponges are a valuable asset.

In a (recently deceased) fort, I embarked on the border between a temperate savanna and a terrifying rocky wasteland, with a river forming the border. There was a giant sponge in the river that ended up acting like a buffer between us and the undead peregrine falcon people - they would all get distracted by it and spend ages pecking at it, and the sponge would very slowly but eventually push them and kill them. The sponge eventually gained the title of Beanblame after killing a giant zombie mongoose.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 11:42:56 am »

Actually, sponges have    [BIOME:ANY_OCEAN], [BIOME:ANY_LAKE], and [BIOME:ANY_RIVER], so they can be found in nearly any water other than ponds or caverns.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12