Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: Beware the Giant Sponge  (Read 106083 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beware the Giant Sponge
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 12:00:15 pm »

They also don't have [CANNOT_UNDEAD] tag meaning there's even more potential fun to be had.
Also, default size of normal sponge is 50 000 which is 5/6th of the size of a dwarf and the giant sponge is eleven times bigger, so it could actually prey on dwarves.  ;D
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 12:59:28 pm »

Giant sponges are a valuable asset.

In a (recently deceased) fort, I embarked on the border between a temperate savanna and a terrifying rocky wasteland, with a river forming the border. There was a giant sponge in the river that ended up acting like a buffer between us and the undead peregrine falcon people - they would all get distracted by it and spend ages pecking at it, and the sponge would very slowly but eventually push them and kill them. The sponge eventually gained the title of Beanblame after killing a giant zombie mongoose.

Are they able to breed?

If so, I can imagine a huge megaproject set up where enemies must travel along a Giant Sponge surrounded bridge.
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 01:00:51 pm »

They also don't have [CANNOT_UNDEAD] tag meaning there's even more potential fun to be had.
Also, default size of normal sponge is 50 000 which is 5/6th of the size of a dwarf and the giant sponge is eleven times bigger, so it could actually prey on dwarves.  ;D

Removing that tag as we speak!
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 01:01:37 pm »

Are they able to breed?

No, they don't have a gender. Not that it would be difficult to mod male and female sponges in, mind. I can see problems with them being immobile once they start spitting out baby sponges, though, as they'll all be stuck on the same tile.
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 01:05:27 pm »

Did anyone else happen to notice that the Giant Sponge has the [PET_EXOTIC] and [MOUNT_EXOTIC] tags included?

If we had Dungeon Masters we could trap them, tame them, and then use them as the organic underwater equivalent of a mechanical bull for our dwarves’ amusement.

dreadmullet

• Bay Watcher
  • Inadequate Comedian
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 01:43:30 pm »

War Giant Sponges. I love Dwarf Fortress.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 02:02:16 pm »

Did anyone else happen to notice that the Giant Sponge has the [PET_EXOTIC] and [MOUNT_EXOTIC] tags included?

If we had Dungeon Masters we could trap them, tame them, and then use them as the organic underwater equivalent of a mechanical bull for our dwarves’ amusement.

Giant amorphous horrors, immune to damage, fueled by hate, and tamed by a civilized race.

Shoggoths, anyone?
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

johnalex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2012, 02:12:27 pm »

i knew it!
the spirit of the carp return: Spongebob is a carpspawned merciless killer!
if a simple sponge does that i don't want to think what a spogeman can do...

I too, afear the 'spoge'man!

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2012, 02:16:10 pm »

[MOUNT_EXOTIC]

Oh god, I laughed WAY too much at this.
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2012, 02:28:39 pm »

...dwarves with ... hygiene on their mind...

Sounds like a bug.

Alestom

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Scotsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2012, 02:29:10 pm »

I Know I am going to regret this... But from my testing, a Giant Sponge can not be killed by conventional weapons, it must be frozen, air-drowned or obsidian-ised, I surrounded it with 100 dwarves with crossbows, 50 minotaurs with addy battle axes and silver war hammers and it didnt have any effect whatsoever
If I had my time again, I know Id be a fighting man

In far Malay or Vietnam, Though I am more a lover

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2012, 02:40:45 pm »

[MOUNT_EXOTIC]

Oh god, I laughed WAY too much at this.
The goblins will arrive riding Giant War Sponges! BEWARE!
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

werechicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2012, 02:56:11 pm »

I believe there's  already threads about how dangerous BRAINLESS, LIMBLESS AND COMPLETELY ****ING INERT SPONGES ARE!

For those who read the last thread, yes this still makes me angry, also how the hell can you tame a sponge, let alone use one as a mount!?

I know, complaining about something being unrealistic in a game where you can set up dragon egg farms is ridiculous, but we each have our bugbears and mine is things that have absolutely no logical basis. (which probably says allot more about my personality than I would normally divulge)

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 03:02:00 pm »

Okay, see, this is what I'd like to do:
  • Make sponges happy with living on land
  • Make them zombiefiable
  • Make them easily tamable
  • Provide some way for them to enclose dwarves within themselves, like bioarmor.
  • Give them WINGS (or legs, wings just sounds cooler)
  • Mod it in so that dwarves can ride them
  • Better than a mech.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2012, 03:03:21 pm »

Wait a second.

Are Giant creatures tameable?

Becuase if they are, I want an army of war sponges.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12