Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Beware the Giant Sponge  (Read 106243 times)

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beware the Giant Sponge
« Reply #105 on: February 25, 2012, 02:27:25 pm »

Tested these guys in the arena. Twenty grandmaster Dwarves with spears, axes, crossbows, swords, hammers hit it for ages and it was still alive. It was somehow unconscious though, and couldn't wake up while the dudes were wailing on it. Excellent training dummies when incapacitated.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2012, 03:08:59 pm »

Normal sponge vs flesh ball. Who wins?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2012, 03:55:01 pm »

The dwarven viewing public.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2012, 04:32:38 pm »

I'll check...
... fleshballs can't be used in the arena so I pitted the sponge against a giant skunk. The battle was eventless but then the giant sponge air-drowned.

The giant skunk didn't use any spray attack. I am disappointed.

Pitted a giant sponge against a giant cave spider ... in water the cave spider drowned and only shot webs at the sponge. on land he shot webs at it and bit it. he was unable to inject venom into the sponge though... and the sponge soon drowned.

Right now dwarves are shooting a sponge in water up with arrow bolts. The sponge is feeling PAIN ain't that something? Now he's feeling EXTREME PAIN ... and has 17+ bolts stuck in the body. He refuses ... to die! .. and now the pain went away he's feeling right as rain.

Fuck it. Sponges are immortal unless you dry them out.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2012, 04:59:44 pm »

I'll check...
... fleshballs can't be used in the arena so I pitted the sponge against a giant skunk. The battle was eventless but then the giant sponge air-drowned.

The giant skunk didn't use any spray attack. I am disappointed.

Pitted a giant sponge against a giant cave spider ... in water the cave spider drowned and only shot webs at the sponge. on land he shot webs at it and bit it. he was unable to inject venom into the sponge though... and the sponge soon drowned.

Right now dwarves are shooting a sponge in water up with arrow bolts. The sponge is feeling PAIN ain't that something? Now he's feeling EXTREME PAIN ... and has 17+ bolts stuck in the body. He refuses ... to die! .. and now the pain went away he's feeling right as rain.

Fuck it. Sponges are immortal unless you dry them out.

Skunks have no syndrome attached to them in the raws.  I think it was a side effect of all of the sponsorship animals getting thrown in at crunch time prior to the release.  Even if they did, would it effect sponges at all?  They have no eyes and likely no sense of smell so any effect would be minor especially considering they’re submerged in water.

Thinking about it now, sponges really just should have been added as a plant type.  They’re not really cut out for Dwarf Fortress’ killer world where everything should have the ability to kill everything else.  They’re just too simple to be included in Dwarf Fortress at this point.  They’re far too durable with their homogeneous sponge body and there’s nothing vulnerable about them except their dependency on being an aquatic creature.  Although I do find undead sponges incredibly comical.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 25, 2012, 05:08:38 pm »

I disagree. Sponges ARE animals, but what is lacking in their execution is a pulping mechanism. Once Toady implements that, sponges will make much more sense.

For now, we should enjoy the show.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 25, 2012, 09:03:33 pm »

If i have a waterline that is only 2 or 3 hight (iirc that was the save hight for walking over a tile) would the sponge still drown? I could see a wet trench with hip high water acting as entrance.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 25, 2012, 09:19:57 pm »

If i have a waterline that is only 2 or 3 hight (iirc that was the save hight for walking over a tile) would the sponge still drown? I could see a wet trench with hip high water acting as entrance.

I just tested a giant sponge in a 3/7 water tile in the arena and it did drown.  You’ll need a water level of 4/7 or higher to keep the giant sponge alive.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2012, 12:56:22 am »

I'm sad that the result of hacking at a sponge doesn't allow the dwarves to soap up more luxuriously.

Yet.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2012, 03:04:33 am »

It's interesting that after all this the sponge or giant sponge doesn't have a wiki page jet....
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2012, 03:51:46 am »

I wonder how terrifying a were-sponge would be... but it's an aquatic animal right? those can't turn into werecreatures that I know of.  :-\
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2012, 03:56:28 am »

I wonder how terrifying a were-sponge would be... but it's an aquatic animal right? those can't turn into werecreatures that I know of.  :-\

'The peasant transforms into a giant sponge!'
'The peasant has drowned!'

I see why you cant be were-aquatic.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2012, 04:29:47 am »

Is that for sure? Because a werewhale would be hilarious. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to me that you could use raws to confirm/rule out this one as they don't seem to include a list of werecreatures - you'd have to actually find one.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2012, 04:31:03 am »

Unless you gave a secondary Wereism disease, except modded in for Carp only, and they're the Were-Aquacreatures.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2012, 04:53:19 am »

make all carps were-sponges.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12