Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Beware the Giant Sponge  (Read 105721 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beware the Giant Sponge
« Reply #120 on: February 26, 2012, 05:44:09 am »

Is that for sure? Because a werewhale would be hilarious. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to me that you could use raws to confirm/rule out this one as they don't seem to include a list of werecreatures - you'd have to actually find one.
You mean "mod one in". While at it, make them amphibious instead of aquatic.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 26, 2012, 07:03:49 am »

Is that for sure? Because a werewhale would be hilarious. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to me that you could use raws to confirm/rule out this one as they don't seem to include a list of werecreatures - you'd have to actually find one.
You mean "mod one in". While at it, make them amphibious instead of aquatic.

Well, no, Ms. Usami, I didn't... it may be silly of me, but I haven't yet seen an analysis of how the game creates were-creatures so I'm not 100% it would not create an unsuitable one like a WereBasking Shark or WereFire Imp. Although you would think it would be programmed not to, DF is not actually the most reliable of games that way...

Sure enough though, if you actually wanted to have werecarp terrorizing your fortress modding would be the way to do it.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 26, 2012, 08:01:08 am »

Ah, if we are interested in "does vanilla do it?" rather than "I want one rampaging in my fort" then yes... The solution would then be to get Quietust's extractor for randomly generated raw entries (forgotten beasts, HFS and now night creatures). It's a PHP script on his wiki talk page. Generate lots of worlds with maximum were-ism variety and extract the were-creature raws to see if something silly actually got made.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 26, 2012, 09:26:32 am »

That's insanely handy.

How did you find it? Thank you so much.

With this, I was able to generate a world on my netbook and read all the spoilers, such as whether various areas have thrall-creating mist, and the properties of those thralls, as well as the various syndromes caused by things. For anyone looking for a particular type of syndrome, it would be a great boon.

I'm combing through the 1000 were-beast types I generated as I write this. While I'm having fun reading about the werepangolins, weretortoises and weregiraffes and the "passing on of the ass monster curse", so far nothing totally inappropriate.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 26, 2012, 09:43:42 am »

To continue on that, there would appear to be no aquatic werecreatures in this world. It was a 1000 werecurse small world generated to the year 1000, with plentiful ocean regions.

Furthermore, even though there were caverns, there were no subterranean werecreatures. No weredralthas. There would appear to be only terrestrial ordinary beasts (how boring). Also, it would appear that common things are common and rare things are rare - there must have been like a 50-100x redundancy of werelizards and only a few were-elephants. Will do a test shortly to confirm these.

However interestingly, based on a small sample of 5 different werebeasts, they would all appear to be amphibious despite the creature they're imitating being terrestrial. So a werewhale would actually have no trouble ruining your fortress, if one existed.

EDIT: So, I created a copy of the abundant lizard and called it a "wizard". Generated a similar world - werelizards were abound, but no werewizards. Apparently they're not procedurally generated.

Furthermore there would seem to be a bug, as this world had the age of the "bronze colossus and mountain titan" when the two great powers left were a werecoyote, Duto Dawnedtulips, and a giantess. As the giantess died, the world promptly passed into the age of Duto Dawnedtulips.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 10:08:18 am by Hotaru »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #125 on: February 26, 2012, 03:17:14 pm »

I'm sad that the result of hacking at a sponge doesn't allow the dwarves to soap up more luxuriously.

Yet.

Butcher a sponge and turn the fat into soap.

Sponge soap.

Because why not.

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 26, 2012, 06:47:47 pm »

I'm sad that the result of hacking at a sponge doesn't allow the dwarves to soap up more luxuriously.

Yet.

Sponge soap.

Because why not.
How does one butcher something that can not be killed?
Unless it's tamed, which begs the other question of how you get the thing to a Butcher's shop if it's big as a cow and stuck to the river-floor.

Perhaps you could use a cave-in method to cave the floor it's sitting on onto a butcher's shop.
*Strokes beard*

Wait, does sea sponges even have fat?
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 26, 2012, 06:56:57 pm »

What damage does a nearby (ie, non atom-smashing) cave in cause to the sponge?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 26, 2012, 07:25:05 pm »

What damage does a nearby (ie, non atom-smashing) cave in cause to the sponge?
Caveins amuse the sponge. They don't seem to have any effect under water.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 26, 2012, 07:37:46 pm »

Yet.

Sponge soap.

Because why not.

Ooh, good idea!

@MiniMacker: you air-drown the sponge, which conveniently (but not coincidentally) involves removing water from its vicinity so your butcher can go pick up the corpse.  In an ancient version I used this technique to farm large fish.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 26, 2012, 08:31:40 pm »

Here's a suggestion for weaponizing the giant sponge.  Haven't tried it but I think it should work.  The diagram below is a side view.  Make it the entrance to your fort.  The water (~) keeps the sponge from drowning, and the pumps (%) keep the source tile in the middle clear of water.  Anything walking into your fort has to go between the two sponges.

Code: [Select]
  ~~%% %%~~
 ~~~~s s~~~~
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 26, 2012, 08:35:34 pm »

Sponges should still be pushed by water, so I don't think that will work as ideally as you believe.

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2012, 11:12:10 pm »

Sponges should still be pushed by water, so I don't think that will work as ideally as you believe.

If that's true, maybe we could use that effect to move sponges in a controlled manner.  Build a pump hanging over the water where the sponge is, suck the sponge forward one tile.  Deconstruct, reconstruct the pump one tile down, repeat.

I started a game tonight on a tiny lake where two rivers meet, hoping to find some sponges, but all I got were trout.   :(
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #133 on: February 26, 2012, 11:17:17 pm »

Once you have them where you want them, perhaps pouring water onto them, and have them be on a grate?

z0
+++++ Drainage

z1
S    Sponge on top of a grate

z2
#+++ Water source
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 27, 2012, 09:40:53 pm »

Continuation: RabbitHut the Grass-Devourer

01) Land Layout
02) Land Enemies
03) 2nd migrant wave mystery
04) 2nd migrant wave resolved
05) Code Yellow
06) Dwarves Save Dwarves

07) The Sponge has Spoken

Fate is funny sometimes  :'(

We had heard rumors that Sponges, like Chuck Norris, don't sleep. They in fact wait.
As did this Giant Sponge near my fortress entrance.

It waited.
It let the Harpy Corpse claw at it for 3 seasons while it waited.
It waited while my dwarves built a slab to Komomo who had husked earlier.

But then its plot unveiled.

Somehow, the harpy stopped fighting the Giant Sponge and instead flew at my bunnyz through a diagonal hole in the ceiling.
It brought ash with it...

Dwarf Dwarf dwarf, Crumble Crumble crumble...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If anyone wants the save, PM me.
I have an early version that's pretty good. Has 3 evil ash-husking / reanimating biomes all-in-one.

And 2 annoying sponges ...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12