Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you hate or love vampires?

Hate
Love
Tsundere

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: How to Vampirify your Dwarf in 3 Easy Steps +Vampire Fortress General (SPOILERS)  (Read 62912 times)

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
Re: Fountain of Eternal Life + Vampire Fortress (SPOILERS)
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 08:31:17 am »

I thought dwarves refuse to drink from water contaminated with blood or anything else? Or do they just get an unhappy thought from doing so?

I seem to remember announcements like "Urist McUrist cancels drink: Water source contaminated"

They should drink from wells that become contaminated. Which has lead to the misconception that wells purify water.

Fakeedit: My my, the wiki only confirms that for 40d. Which is admittedly where most of my experience is from too. Testing should be easy though.

Non-fake-edit: It apparently worked in .31, so it should work in .34. But it does annoy me a lot that I can't test these myself right now, and sorry to post so many unsubstantiated things.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 08:35:57 am by Hotaru »
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 11:23:27 am »

In regards to the well, a single naked vampire should be cut by a single training spear.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 03:28:12 pm »

When I made cisterns and threw all sorts of disgusting things into them, water drawn from the cisterns never showed any trace of impurities. Mud, salt and stagnant seem to be the only impurities of water recognized by the game. I suppose it's possible that blood or whatever is in the water and just not mentioned, I doubt it, but I only checked the contents of drawn buckets and what ended up in the resulting pond-zone, not the consequences of actually using the water.

DungeonJerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 03:50:28 pm »

I'm thinking that it should be possible to make artifical vampires. If we can simply contaminate the main water supply with the corpse of one, that should do it.

This is a take on my plan for a zombie orbital bombartment trap that I plan to design. But, bassicly, you build a massive structure going enough Z-levels up with a retractable bridge, have the vampire loaded in it. And l pull the lever. He falls, splats, should explode if done high enough. Body is in the water, blood is in the water. Dorfs have to drink sometime.

The zombie version of it was more elegant in design, I'm just bad at explaining. It's purpose was for mass chaos.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 04:15:49 am »

So, the design's been happily confirmed to work. Now vampire syndrome science and undead fortresses can proceed.

It's also been confirmed computer repair shops are likely run by mafia or the prince of lies ::)
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2012, 04:31:26 am »

Add in Zombie cloning and necromancers and it'll be an orgy of darkness!

DungeonJerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2012, 01:15:05 pm »

I would have worked on proving this yesterday, but my fortress fell to zombies before it took off.

Although the sheer madness was fun to watch as everything turned to zombies and or went insane. And then Migrants showed up and promptly died. The settlement crumbled.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2012, 01:23:17 pm »

GENTLEMEN! I have completed your challenge and done it while constructing a handsome guide to the process.

Pics cuz it happened.
Spoiler: Chamber of Eternity (click to show/hide)
This is the layout, sorry about the miasma I forgot to move the body before I made the well. At the left end in the center of the path there's a well you can't see, underneath it there's a repeating spike on which is impaled the body of a known vampire. The well was filled post-stabbing so it's got all that bloody goodness.
Spoiler: Bucket of Eternity (click to show/hide)
This is what you want to see, if you don't see this when you examine the bucket you didn't get good water and you'll either have to rebuild the well or wait for it to be exhausted and refilled.
Spoiler: End Result (click to show/hide)
After drinking the blood the dwarf will immediately be recognizable as a vampire, they don't seem to be treated any differently for it.

I was going to make another thread about it but the idea of using a tainted well is already all over the place.

I have never seen a dwarf refuse tainted well water.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2012, 01:44:19 pm »

So, the design's been happily confirmed to work. Now vampire syndrome science and undead fortresses can proceed.

It's also been confirmed computer repair shops are likely run by mafia or the prince of lies ::)

Just to check, you have tested a version where dwarves drank contaminated well water and became vampires?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2012, 01:47:17 pm »

Just to check, you have tested a version where dwarves drank contaminated well water and became vampires?
NO! ONLY I HAVE DONE IT! ONLY I HAVE THE POWER OVER LIFE AND DEATH!

But it is confirmed, my step by step guide is replicatable and has photographic evidence.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2012, 01:48:47 pm »

His post is confusing. I'm not sure if he's just being unreasonably sarcastic/skeptical about Broseph Stalin's testing despite the fact that he hasn't done any himself, or if he's actually making a statement about computer repair shops being run by jerkfaces and he did do testing.

Possibly this is just a sarcasm-detection fail on my part, but text has never been a particularly great medium for that sort of thing.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 01:50:07 pm »

x

See Broseph Stalin's wonderful post above, with pics.

NO! ONLY I HAVE DONE IT! ONLY I HAVE THE POWER OVER LIFE AND DEATH!

But it is confirmed, my step by step guide is replicatable and has photographic evidence.

No you're not the only one  :D but you're the only one to post pics. As for me, the Yamaguchi-gumi still has my main computer hostage so yeah... I'm so sad I can't play vampire fortress yet.

Thanks for posting it.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 01:53:13 pm »

His post is confusing. I'm not sure if he's just being unreasonably sarcastic/skeptical about Broseph Stalin's testing despite the fact that he hasn't done any himself, or if he's actually making a statement about computer repair shops being run by jerkfaces and he did do testing.

Possibly this is just a sarcasm-detection fail on my part, but text has never been a particularly great medium for that sort of thing.

I don't understand. How can I be sarcastic/skeptical about a post that happened after?

Anyway, that post was in reference to another person who didn't post in this thread confirming it earlier. The latter part is about a computer repair shop that has my computer, that was supposed to be done with it friday, but apparently they're very busy.

It might be seen as selfish, but I also wanted to bump this thread, because the same vampire questions come over and over and I think most of them are answered in the OP.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 01:57:37 pm »

What happens if vampires have nothing to feed on?

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2012, 01:59:59 pm »

I don't understand. How can I be sarcastic/skeptical about a post that happened after?

Anyway, that post was in reference to another person who didn't post in this thread confirming it earlier. The latter part is about a computer repair shop that has my computer, that was supposed to be done with it friday, but apparently they're very busy.

It might be seen as selfish, but I also wanted to bump this thread, because the same vampire questions come over and over and I think most of them are answered in the OP.

Whoops. Well, forum-reading fail on my part.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6