Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you hate or love vampires?

Hate
Love
Tsundere

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: How to Vampirify your Dwarf in 3 Easy Steps +Vampire Fortress General (SPOILERS)  (Read 62917 times)

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
Re: Fountain of Eternal Life + Vampire Fortress (SPOILERS)
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 02:02:44 pm »

What happens if vampires have nothing to feed on?

There was one guy whose name I forgot (sorry), who just walled the vampire in and played on, his fort eventually crumbling except the vampire. It would appear that either nothing, or it takes years. Vampires mostly feed for fun, apparently.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 02:05:54 pm »

So with this I can either make everyone vampires, or a vampire aristocracy and a dwarf underclass which may or may not be fed upon.

This is awesome.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 02:13:09 pm »

Yes, and you can also make a militia that's stronger and faster and more resilient and damaging (due to material changes) than dwarvenly possible, that never sleeps and doesn't feel pain, that can be stationed outside forever and just left there with no other support. Only downside being they apparently won't fight zombies.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 02:14:33 pm »

I heard vampires also don't gain attributes, is that confirmed? If so vampirism would have to be a reward for my elite soldiers.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 02:15:14 pm »

I heard vampires also don't gain stats, is that confirmed? If so vampirism would have to be a reward for my elite soldiers.
They don't gain attributes, I've watched them gain stats.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 02:16:09 pm »

According to the example interaction raw files, vampires receive a hefty one-time bonus to physical attributes when becoming vampires but after that cannot lose or gain them. So that would be the way to do it.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 02:17:10 pm »

Excellent. This has so much potential, both practical and thematic.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 02:30:55 pm »

Excellent. This has so much potential, both practical and thematic.

Well, if you get working on it, please post as you go. At this time vicarious enjoyment is the best I can do.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2012, 04:18:51 pm »

Only downside being they apparently won't fight zombies.

Vampires and zombies are not aggressive against each other. However, you can still manually order vampires to destroy undead, and they will carry out your orders  :D
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

Vampire army is go.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile

You can build two fortesses on one map. Just pick a site with a river (not a brook). Your vampires will get their fortress entrance on one side of the river, your dwarves the other side. They won't be able to reach each other.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

This is very interesting but i'm going to view vampires not needing to feed as an exploit, if ever i keep captive vampires i'll try to throw a useless migrant to it every season.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

fluffhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

oh man, i'm definately making my military take their turns on the screw pumps before vamping them.  That way we can Max out that strength, then get the stat boost on top.

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile

Nice piece of research there.
But I still got a question - do vampires have children? If so, will a child of two vampires be usual dwarf?

edit: one more - can they become insane/berserk? Do they have moods?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:42:03 am by Diamond »

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, I'm not too sure how I feel about this. It seems very similar to the "danger room", in that it confers extremely high benefits for extremely little work, even fewer drawbacks, and therefore has the potential to make the game unfairly easy depending on the host vampire's weaknesses. That being said, it's really cool that you could theoretically produce artificial vampires, and by forcing your dwarves to drink from a well of blood no less! I don't know if I'll mess around with this feature much until Toady nerfs vampires in some way, but I think it's a really interesting one.

Also: Has anyone tested to see if dwarves afflicted with vampirism can still experience and fulfill moods? If so, do they still experience the legendary skill gain after creating their artifact?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6