Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you hate or love vampires?

Hate
Love
Tsundere

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: How to Vampirify your Dwarf in 3 Easy Steps +Vampire Fortress General (SPOILERS)  (Read 62918 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile

Hmm, I'm not too sure how I feel about this. It seems very similar to the "danger room", in that it confers extremely high benefits for extremely little work, even fewer drawbacks, and therefore has the potential to make the game unfairly easy depending on the host vampire's weaknesses. That being said, it's really cool that you could theoretically produce artificial vampires, and by forcing your dwarves to drink from a well of blood no less! I don't know if I'll mess around with this feature much until Toady nerfs vampires in some way, but I think it's a really interesting one.

Also: Has anyone tested to see if dwarves afflicted with vampirism can still experience and fulfill moods? If so, do they still experience the legendary skill gain after creating their artifact?
Vampires get moods, Their ATTRIBUTES get locked not their SKILLS.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile

Nice piece of research there.
But I still got a question - do vampires have children? If so, will a child of two vampires be usual dwarf?

edit: one more - can they become insane/berserk? Do they have moods?
They Shouldn't
[CE_ADD_TAG:BLOODSUCKER:NO_AGING:STERILE:NOT_LIVING:NOEXERT:NOPAIN:NOBREATHE:NOSTUN:NONAUSEA:NO_DIZZINESS:NO_FEVERS:PARALYZEIMMUNE:NO_EAT:NO_DRINK:NO_SLEEP:NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN:NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST:START:0]
And Since there is no CE_BODY_TRANSFORMATION in the syndrome, I'd assume that if you removed STERILE from vampires and even zombies they'd give birth to non-infected children, which they'd get bad feelings from after they ate em.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hmm, I'm not too sure how I feel about this. It seems very similar to the "danger room", in that it confers extremely high benefits for extremely little work, even fewer drawbacks, and therefore has the potential to make the game unfairly easy depending on the host vampire's weaknesses. That being said, it's really cool that you could theoretically produce artificial vampires, and by forcing your dwarves to drink from a well of blood no less! I don't know if I'll mess around with this feature much until Toady nerfs vampires in some way, but I think it's a really interesting one.

Also: Has anyone tested to see if dwarves afflicted with vampirism can still experience and fulfill moods? If so, do they still experience the legendary skill gain after creating their artifact?
Vampires get moods, Their ATTRIBUTES get locked not their SKILLS.

Is that what you meant when you said they can increase stats? Because I couldn't quite parse that. The above makes sense to me though.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

iv heard a guy on irc say that a vampire fortress would not work because his dorfvamps refuse to dirnk alcohol and just perform really poorly at everything...
anyone else actually try it out?

Dwarfler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

iv heard a guy on irc say that a vampire fortress would not work because his dorfvamps refuse to dirnk alcohol and just perform really poorly at everything...
anyone else actually try it out?

This appears to be correct.  My vampire dwarfs all have the "needs alcohol to get through the working day" thing that all dwarfs have, followed by varying levels of "..and is starting to work slowly due to its scarcity".  This second part persists even immediately after they feed on a live dwarf.  This leads me to suspect that an all-vampire fortress would run SLOWLY, but the caste system of vampire aristocracy/dwarven servants would seem to be doable.  I also question the viability of a vampire military because of this - at the very least they would be slow-moving.  Worst case scenario if the "sobriety slowdown" affects their combat abilities in other ways (reducing damage, etc).

Oh well, eternal life has its price I guess.  Would be nice if blood could have the same effect on vampires that alcohol has on dwarves.  At least then we'd have a use for all the barrels of blood the merchants bring.  Maybe in a later version.
Why do I like Dwarf Fortress so much?  It's hard to learn, harder to play, and downright impossible to win.

I mean, what's not to like?

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile

Yeah . . . I went with a vampire manager/bookkeeper walled away in a cell deep within my dungeons.  After a year or so, it took weeks for my work orders to be approved.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile

Also, imagine if you  got bored and abandoned your vampire fortress.  You'd add an entire population of refugee vampires to your game world, each looking for a new place to call home.  Imagine receiving a migrant wave of thirty to fifty vampires in a future fortress . . .

Cowsquid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

The vampires not drinking alcohol is, I'm guessing, due to the NO_DRINK tag, since I believe thirst needs to be present before they seek out alcohol. Perhaps try modding this out?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Alternatively, [CE_REMOVE_TAG:ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT:START:0] in the interaction file. Haven't tested it, don't know how it'll affect vampires who already want a drink. If it doesn't cause the 'wants a drink' thought to go away, you could temporarily remove the NO_DRINK part of the added tag set for a couple of in-game months.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile

And there was me thinking dwarf blood WAS booze. How can there be room for anything else?
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I'm presuming this is a bug since Vampires should need blood the way dwarves need booze.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile

Not so much a bug as thoughtlessness - vampire syndromes add [NODRINK] but do not remove [ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]. Fixing it would be as simple as having the syndrome include [CE_REMOVE_TAG:ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT]. However, at this time it's slightly troublesome, as changing the vampirism syndromes requires you to edit world.dat.

Maybe this is something Toady should be notified about. But how to politely do it?
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Bug report.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile

Right, right. Since my computer is still not fixed even though it was supposed to be last friday  ::) I would ask someone who has actually verified vampires slowing down to submit the bug report. The information in my post above was extracted from world.dat and I think that's the problem and he could fix it with one line.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6