Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you hate or love vampires?

Hate
Love
Tsundere

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: How to Vampirify your Dwarf in 3 Easy Steps +Vampire Fortress General (SPOILERS)  (Read 63132 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

So they need a new tag then, [Blood_dependent]
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alternatively, [CE_REMOVE_TAG:ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT:START:0] in the interaction file. Haven't tested it, don't know how it'll affect vampires who already want a drink. If it doesn't cause the 'wants a drink' thought to go away, you could temporarily remove the NO_DRINK part of the added tag set for a couple of in-game months.
In which file do I put this tag? I was supremely disappointed at the performance of my bookkeeping/manager vampire for this reason :( And of course the bug scuppers any hopes of an effective vampire fort.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Unfortunately it looks as though vampires are completely hard-coded and the one in the raws is only there to show players how the relevant tags work. If it worked it would go in raw/interaction examples/interaction_vampire.txt, and the tag would be slotted in next to the long 'add tags' line.

You can't remove alcohol dependency from the live dwarves in a fort in progress, I tried that. Short of waiting for an update which fixes the issue and also fixes existing vampires, the only thing you can do is remove the tag from the dwarven entry and regen. Creatures of a non-dependent race can develop dependency, possibly through trauma. If it is from trauma, your military vampires aren't going to do so well after a while.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Aye, did some searching and got that impression.

I removed that dependent tag from dwarves, but they can still get it from trauma? Weird..

I plan to turn only my already hardened warriors so hopefully that's fine. And my bookkeeper won't get traumatised :D

Removing the tag will only make dwarves lose the whole "work slowly if no alcohol thing", right? They still need to drink? Pretty minor change if so, should be fine 'till it gets fixed.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile

I think, if you created a syndrome that removed the ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT tag (assuming it works with CE_REMOVE_TAG) and a controlled way to infect it, that would be a workaround.

Such as, maybe the easiest way - modding dwarf blood to have the quality of removing alcohol dependence. That way anyone who gets infected with vampirism also becomes non-alcohol-dependent.
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

is it fixed in 3404? the bugtracker says resolved but my vamps still suffer

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

is it fixed in 3404? the bugtracker says resolved but my vamps still suffer

The issue you saw was likely a duplicate. It's still an open report here, so presumably not yet fixed.

Would Hotaru's dwarf blood syndrome idea work? I got my first vampire migrant today, and I'm all giddy with the prospect of creating a vampire citadel, but I'm disappointed by this whole alcohol dependance issue.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for not having seen it through, I find I don't really have the time for DF lately. The thing would be adding

Code: [Select]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:blood intoxication]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
                        [CE_REMOVE_TAG:ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT:START:0]
[SYN_INGESTED]

where appropriate. Namely, in this case I think maybe just sticking it after [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE] for creature raws' "dwarf" would work.

If it's still like it used to be, you shouldn't need to re-gen for this to work.

Note that this won't necessarily help your original vampire (who's probably relatively useless anyway), unless the [BLOODSUCKER] tag really makes it ingest blood on the game mechanics level. It should, however, make any well-generated vampire alcohol-independent.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:49:59 am by Hotaru »
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile

Actually, I think it's probably better to leave vampire dwarves unhappy with a lack of alcohol.  Vampirism was supposed to be a threat to the fortress and not the road to superpowers.  This makes vampirism come at a price, which is thematically appropriate.  Plus, it makes vampires somewhat more likely to flip out and kill people in frustration, and that I like too.

And now for a change of topic -- do vampires heal from wounds?  If so, do they heal better than normal?
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Actually, I think it's probably better to leave vampire dwarves unhappy with a lack of alcohol.  Vampirism was supposed to be a threat to the fortress and not the road to superpowers.  This makes vampirism come at a price, which is thematically appropriate.  Plus, it makes vampires somewhat more likely to flip out and kill people in frustration, and that I like too.

I'm not sure I follow your logic. On the one hand, you say that vampirism should be a threat, but on the other, they should suffer the effects of alcohol dependance, which makes them sluggish and weak? Removing this would make them more threatening, not less.

The road to superpowers, as you put it, is probably more in allowing fortresses to survive without any non-vampiric dwarves left.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:56:43 am by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And now for a change of topic -- do vampires heal from wounds?  If so, do they heal better than normal?

It's just that it's a little stupid that the vampire can be slowed to the point of taking forever to complete simple tasks because he won't drink of the fort's alcohol reserve when offered. Especially when this same vampire did fine for hundreds of years and killed thousands before coming to your fort. If they were "blood dependent" and would slow down without feeding, I don't think anyone would feel that is wrong, but as it is it reeks of oversight.

While being able to make dwarves immortal with this method may be theoretically nice, it's not easy at all giving them good stats before and keeping them alive in a vampire-infested fort to turn them into good vampires. On the other hand if turned immediately they'll eventually benefit much less from military training, since they won't become stronger or faster.

I don't see anything in the raws to suggest they'd recover quicker, unless not sleeping, never being nauseous and not having fevers helps.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile

It's just that it's a little stupid that the vampire can be slowed to the point of taking forever to complete simple tasks because he won't drink of the fort's alcohol reserve when offered. Especially when this same vampire did fine for hundreds of years and killed thousands before coming to your fort. If they were "blood dependent" and would slow down without feeding, I don't think anyone would feel that is wrong, but as it is it reeks of oversight.

While being able to make dwarves immortal with this method may be theoretically nice, it's not easy at all giving them good stats before and keeping them alive in a vampire-infested fort to turn them into good vampires. On the other hand if turned immediately they'll eventually benefit much less from military training, since they won't become stronger or faster.

I don't see anything in the raws to suggest they'd recover quicker, unless not sleeping, never being nauseous and not having fevers helps.

+1 to this.

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile

Especially when this same vampire did fine for hundreds of years and killed thousands before coming to your fort.
This is the only part of it that really bugs me.  The lack of consistency. 
Well, the slowness is a little irritating, but the unhappiness is a good thing, IMHO.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

(assuming it works with CE_REMOVE_TAG)
It doesn't, the errorlog says it isn't a valid token for CE_REMOVE_TAG. NO_DRINK can be removed and arena tests have been promising if confusing (hunger and thirst work in strange ways if you're flipping between controlling one creature and observing them all, and I'm having trouble separating normal dwarf / vampire dwarf / modded vampire dwarf behaviour), but I haven't had any vampires in a fortress yet to test it properly.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(assuming it works with CE_REMOVE_TAG)
It doesn't, the errorlog says it isn't a valid token for CE_REMOVE_TAG. NO_DRINK can be removed and arena tests have been promising if confusing (hunger and thirst work in strange ways if you're flipping between controlling one creature and observing them all, and I'm having trouble separating normal dwarf / vampire dwarf / modded vampire dwarf behaviour), but I haven't had any vampires in a fortress yet to test it properly.

Would it be helpful if someone provided you with a savegame? I have a single vampire locked away in my current fortress. I tried modding in the blood syndrome but I'm not sure if I did it right (I haven't done any modding that didn't require a newly generated world).

It just so happens that I uploaded a save recently to demonstrate the "dwarf brings water to healthy person" bug, so you can use that if you like. The vampire is called Edzul Madoshogingeg, you can find her quickly if you hit F2 and then scroll all the way north-east.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5815
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6