Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 284951 times)

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2012, 01:37:48 pm »

Not a bad embark for someone who wants iron, but doesn't care about steel. I'm not him, but it's got a fairly broad array of features. It's got just over 25k iron, soil layers for trees, farms and animals, sand, a three-way stream junction near the base of the valley for easy pumping of water into the fort, and a sizable number of underground levels to play with. (If DFHack still had text output from prospect, I'd pass along the stats, but I'm not mucking with a screenshot right now.) (Screenshots and text output now included. /sigh) Scorching, Untamed Wilds, with all the trees you could want to chop and a large variety of minerals to play with (iron, gold silver copper, aluminum and platinum).

The world will run up to ~270 (in 34.04) years without touching the settings. I make no claims about the awesomeness of its legends content, and it could be ended early for a world with more beasts, I suspect.

The general site layout is a moderately wide mostly flat 'valley' that drops off to the southwest and rises to the north and east. The upper portion near the volcano has a 1z box canyon along the south wall that could make a good "natural" site. The river junction is in a canyon to the south of the embark wagon, and the left fork runs up the southwest side of the map roughly across the path of the valley. The volcano can be tapped before you ever strike stone (top layer is soil partial surround) to set up pumped magma or early forges.

Sadly, I want one with flux, too, and I don't want to mod (aside from aquifers and cutting back on clothing varieties). I'm going to keep looking and hope that when Toady says 'fix old bugs' he means 'dwarves will start using claimed clothing properly' so I can get a solid fort location and have the most major gripes I've had in a long time fixed. :)

In the meantime, still looking...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:44:06 pm by Nameless Archon »

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 05:37:56 am »

This is where my current fort is.  It's a good site.

Spoiler: World Gen (click to show/hide)

Embark:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Forested volcano.  Good mix of soil and stone.  The aquifers are a good potential source of water, they're not that big, so they shouldn't be a serious problem.

Minerals:

77.5k native gold
23.4k tetrahedrite
18.6k galena
10k hematite
6.6k sphalerite
3k adamantite
1k emeralds
many diverse gems

I'm going to have to look for more Untamed Wilds or something.  These calm lands are getting boring.

This is a decent world for adventuring.  There's a big human civ in the north with two ☼towns☼ and 4 necrotowers in ther world. Several tombs scattered around.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:26:54 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 07:03:17 am »

Same seed.

Embark:

Warm island volcano.  Very deep map, top point is 171, bottom of HFS is -33.  There are several small to mid-sized aquifers scattered around the map, but you will probably need them for water, since the lake in cavern 1 is at level -1.  And you embark at level 119.  Even more fun: only two candy spires, and both are below the bottom cavern.  If you don't want the volcano itself, the surrounding ocean is Joyous Wilds.

Minerals:

40k tetrahedrite
21k native silver
20k hematite
11k garnierite
6k native gold
361 horn silver
346 bismuthinite
138 native aluminum
101k marble
382 emeralds
sand
clay
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:22:45 am by orius »

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 09:50:05 am »

Lovely.

So I find a promising site.  A nice supply of magnetite, coal, other metals, and diamonds.  I embarked, and ran prospector.  At the bottom it says there's about 160k aquifer tiles.  Oh crap, that does not sound good at all.  I run reveal.

There's an aquifer on the site 8 z-levels deep.  And the top two levels cover the whole damn embark.  And most of the coal is right in this filthy aquifer.  What a bloody tease.  A ton of wealth on the site and its embedded deeply in a huge ass aquifer.

Somewhere, Armok is laughing....

Fortressdeath

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2012, 03:43:27 am »

I'm milking this gen for all it's worth.

Embark:

Savage forest and desert.  Shallow iron and coal and deeper metals.  Sponges!

Minerals:

16.4k garnierite
15.1k native silver
15k marble
13.6k native gold
9.1k hematite
7.7k limonite
5.6k cassiterite
4.2k bituminous coal
3.8k adamantine
3.4k galena
1k sphalerite
858 tetrahedrite
383 emeralds
sand
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:27:30 pm by orius »

Fortressdeath

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 04:22:22 am »

The far eastern evil patch has SIX necromancer towers for neighbours!

« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 04:28:16 am by TinyPirate »

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 01:31:33 pm »

I got a nice location:

No aquifer, 5 z levels waterfall, necromancer tower, flux, iron, copper, silver, bauxite and other ores; magma sea is 43 z levels down, though. There are spongemen, a giant sponge and Hippos

Here is the seed:

« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:46:51 pm by xczxc »

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 04:44:39 pm »

Anyone got tips for getting a joyous zone near an evil zone? I want undead unicorns.

Ramp up desired evil+good biomes per region.

I think that worked... thanks.

Jack up the good/evil squares per small/medium/large subregions as high as they'll go without making worldgen impossible.  Max the possible subregions.  Make the good/evil meshes 2x2, and skew them towards (40-60) ranges and higher.  Input high numbers for savagery X/Y variance too if you want actual Joyous Wilds and not just Mirthful/Serene biomes.  (IIRC I think unicorns only need good, not savagery, but I could be wrong.)

I do that for pretty much every world I gen, and I get nice mixes of good and evil biomes next to each other.  Huzzah for unicorns coated in goblin blood.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 05:56:03 pm »

So I've been working on a certain style of fort for a while, and would like to continue for a little bit so that I can figure out the new features (last fort played was 31.18). If someone could find this for me, I'd be very grateful:

4x4 embark on a glacier with a volcano in one corner(glacial worldgen helps a lot; it's how I found a place in 31.18). The volcano (that is, the lava, not just the mountain around it) must extend a few levels (5 or so should be the real minimum) above the glacier; otherwise, the glacier should be flat (that is, each of the 16 squares in the 4x4 embark except the one with the volcano and possibly one next to it should be flat). 3 caverns, no aquifer. Needs to be able to trade with humans, dwarves and elves.

If it's possible to get 100 levels of air, that would be best, as I'm planning an aboveground megaproject. Even better if it has its own steel stuff, but that's not necessary (and unlikely, as flux doesn't seem to show up much on glaciers).
=Uncool-

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 01:43:42 pm »

02/19/2012 ... a lot of the embark crashes and adamantine spires and weirdness should be fixed for next time ...

As of 34.05, and quite different compared to 31.25, here's what I've observed. (using dfhack 'reveal hell')

TDSS02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012, 06:43:30 pm »

Very nice keep them coming, i was waiting for a DF2012 version cookbook thread. Now to get to work genning some worlds.  :D
Quote from: piecewise on March 14, 2010, 06:22:02 am
  Dwarf Fortress: Beat children with children.

celebrinborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 03:47:32 pm »

Embark:

Forested volcano.  Good mix of soil and stone.  The aquifers are a good potential source of water, they're not that big, so they shouldn't be a serious problem.

Minerals:

77.5k native gold
23.4k tetrahedrite
18.6k galena
10k hematite
6.6k sphalerite
3k adamantite
1k emeralds
many diverse gems

I'm going to have to look for more Untamed Wilds or something.  These calm lands are getting boring.

This is a decent world for adventuring.  There's a big human civ in the north with two ☼towns☼ and 4 necrotowers in ther world. Several tombs scattered around.

I entered in all of the settings you used and used the same seed but I got a different result. Did the world generator get changed? I'm using v0.34.05
Thanks

MehMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 06:32:26 pm »

Embark:

Minerals:

77.5k native gold
23.4k tetrahedrite
18.6k galena
10k hematite
6.6k sphalerite
3k adamantite
1k emeralds
many diverse gems

I entered in all of the settings you used and used the same seed but I got a different result. Did the world generator get changed? I'm using v0.34.05
Thanks
Same here.
EDIT: Nevermind, I just genned an embark with 110088 native gold...
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:01:52 pm by MehMuffin »

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 11:50:07 am »

Well, the world wasn't genned in 34.05, so maybe it's coming up a little different.  I dunno.

edit: Yup, just checked it.  Totally different map in 34.05.  I genned that map in 34.02.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 12:25:49 pm by orius »

Fortressdeath

celebrinborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 12:55:13 pm »

I can't remember, are 05 maps compatible with 02?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 62