Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 285213 times)

Dwemeral

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #360 on: October 28, 2012, 06:45:20 pm »

Or you can set the erosion to a high value: everything will be flat (more or less). Volcanoes will appear but they will be protruding out like chimneys in the middle of nowhere.
That's not a flat volcano, but it's a flat embark.

Edit:
257x257 region
volcanoes
a high civ count(the point where when I embark on a site there's a civ for every race listed as my neighbors)
alot of lakes and rivers
mostly a good/neutral biome with low savagery
wet and a lot of trees

I think I have something like that in store. Mineral occurrence is low though, so you should check with prospector.
Civs around the suggested embark:
Suggested embark:
Wold gen.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit2: after messing with what RedWarrior gave me, I got an almost perfect 60x60 map. Z-1 volcano set into a mountain with a sheer cliff face, large amounts of wood and ponds to get an easy cistern. Flux, not evil, a decent amount of copper but not much else.
Sadly, it's "not freezing, dry", so no above ground textile industry.
If anyone's interested...
thanks

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 29, 2012, 06:41:10 pm »

Thanks for the help, I can find some flat volcanoes.

Too bad the one I currently have is erupting   :P  The magma doesn't spread too far, but the risk of a fire is too much.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 30, 2012, 02:24:17 am »

Since when do volcanoes erupt?  :o
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 30, 2012, 03:32:00 am »

First time I've seen that as well.

When I first started that game, the volcano looked normal.  One empty level on top then the rest full of magma.  As soon as I unpaused the game, that empty level started filling up with magma.  Then it started overflowing.

It only spread to about twice the original diameter.  But it occasionally started a fire.

EDIT  It looks like this was due to a bug with reclaiming a site.  I accidentally used the default embark the first time, so I abandoned the fort and tried again.  According to a thread in this forum, reclaiming a site raises the magma level of a volcano.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 04:24:28 pm by Drawde »

ke1evra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 07, 2012, 03:31:01 pm »

Hi there! Is anyone can help me to find a world where i can find a 3x3 embark site with only 3-10 layers and no stone (or very little), cavern less, 2-3 levels of aquifer, magma on the bottom, obsolete flat terrain (sand desert) with no trees or lakes that will interrupt flatness, with evil biome, elf/human/goblin neighborhood + tower is optional. Temperature should be suitable for honey bees. Thank you!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 08, 2012, 01:21:33 pm »

Hi there! Is anyone can help me to find a world where i can find a 3x3 embark site with only 3-10 layers and no stone (or very little), cavern less, 2-3 levels of aquifer, magma on the bottom, obsolete flat terrain (sand desert) with no trees or lakes that will interrupt flatness, with evil biome, elf/human/goblin neighborhood + tower is optional. Temperature should be suitable for honey bees. Thank you!
The only issue I see with this is cavern-less and no surface trees typically means no wood.  Is that ok with you?  I'm fine with it because I would mod in glass beds, but... just wanted to ask before hand.  No wood is good?   8)
EDIT:  Also, no trees would mean no elves...

drummingpariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 08, 2012, 07:16:25 pm »

First time I've seen that as well.

When I first started that game, the volcano looked normal.  One empty level on top then the rest full of magma.  As soon as I unpaused the game, that empty level started filling up with magma.  Then it started overflowing.

It only spread to about twice the original diameter.  But it occasionally started a fire.

EDIT  It looks like this was due to a bug with reclaiming a site.  I accidentally used the default embark the first time, so I abandoned the fort and tried again.  According to a thread in this forum, reclaiming a site raises the magma level of a volcano.

I've had that happen to me, but not in a long time. As soon as I started there was a cave-in, which seemed to have caused pressure or something-of-that-sort to push magma up over the top.

ke1evra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 09, 2012, 04:43:01 am »

The only issue I see with this is cavern-less and no surface trees typically means no wood.  Is that ok with you?  I'm fine with it because I would mod in glass beds, but... just wanted to ask before hand.  No wood is good?   8)
EDIT:  Also, no trees would mean no elves...
Well, the wood should exist somewhere in the world, but I will embark in desert, so I will have no trees on my site, and i like Elves))

And i was trying to generate the world with this setting:

And always get this:

I assume no caves -> no plumhelmets -> no dwarfes =\ If i pass this reject, i end up with Adv/Legend only :'(

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 09, 2012, 08:41:53 am »

I assume no caves -> no plumhelmets -> no dwarfes
Correct.
No underground plants can exist without at least 1 cavern layer.
You could work around this by modding dwarves to use aboveground-farming instead.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 09, 2012, 12:14:57 pm »

I assume no caves -> no plumhelmets -> no dwarfes =\ If i pass this reject, i end up with Adv/Legend only :'(
True.  However, you can add this to \raw\objects\entity_default.txt (in the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] section right after   [INDOOR_FARMING] )

[OUTDOOR_FARMING]

and it will allow your dwarves to use surface crops for food, and survive just fine without caverns.

ke1evra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 09, 2012, 03:26:34 pm »

True.  However, you can add this to \raw\objects\entity_default.txt (in the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] section right after   [INDOOR_FARMING] )

[OUTDOOR_FARMING]

and it will allow your dwarves to use surface crops for food, and survive just fine without caverns.

I ended up with cavernless world, but damn! I still have 70 layers untill i strike magma level =\ Any ideas of how force the game generate less layers?

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 09, 2012, 03:29:49 pm »

I ended up with cavernless world, but damn! I still have 70 layers untill i strike magma level =\ Any ideas of how force the game generate less layers?
Embark on a low-elevation site, or just decrease the max elevation and change the "Layers above level 1" or whatever to a lower number. Basically the game guarantees you that many layers above the first cavern, plus however many layers are there for elevation. Decrease elevation and you'll be fine.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

ke1evra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 09, 2012, 03:42:19 pm »

My settings:
Layers above level is set to 1
I embarked on zero-level sand desert, but ingame surface was on 116th level, and magma on 40th, also as far as i know if i decrease max elevation (now it's set to 400) there will be no place for dwarves to survive -> Adv/Legend world, am I correct?

UPDATE
second try: embarked on lowest place possible, surface is on exact level 100, magma on lvl 4
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:48:09 pm by ke1evra »

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 09, 2012, 03:49:04 pm »

[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:100]

There's your problem. Set this to something between 5 and 15, depending on how many layers you want for your fortress.

EDIT: At least I think so. Someone else, correct me if I'm wrong here. Or does the "ABOVE_GROUND" refer to the number of "dead air" levels above the surface?
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 09, 2012, 03:51:22 pm »

[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:100]

There's your problem. Set this to something between 5 and 15, depending on how many layers you want for your fortress.

EDIT: At least I think so. Someone else, correct me if I'm wrong here. Or does the "ABOVE_GROUND" refer to the number of "dead air" levels above the surface?

Doesn't that only affect air layers? I know I've told someone else to increase that so they could build a tower sometimes in past week or so.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 62