Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 285011 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #435 on: December 28, 2012, 04:02:15 am »

Ah, very true. Now to carve away at the side of the volcano and claim it as MINNEEEE

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: January 01, 2013, 07:51:40 am »

Dunno if anyone is interested but I have 257x257 param set that generates worlds with lots of flat volcanos near running water, it's derived from the "Tri-River Canyon Embark" world on DFFD, but I made adjustments in a failed attempt to get more Major River canyons (I haven't actually found any on the dozen worlds I've genned on it).

I've reduced evil entities drastically, & if you want Necromancers you'll need to add secrets back in (& probably gen longer too).

Also, for some reason the metals on the sites I check tend to suck (I've had a few with "Shallow Metals" & "Deep Metals" that Tetrahedrite [or Native Copper] & Candy, no other ores).

Still if you want to do something with Clay, Glass, or Obsidian on generally flat embarks, these worlds may work for you.

Note: This is a general parameter set, not a specific world, so no maps or prospector data unless you want the ones from the world I'm playing, with no garauntees they'd be relevant to your experience.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

edit: I've just realised I seem get more varied ores with a mineral scarcity of 900 than any on any of the worlds I genned with other values (2100, 1800, 1200, 750, 600).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 08:02:51 am by JAFANZ »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: January 04, 2013, 10:39:14 am »

Can someone help me find either of these, please:

1) 3x3 Embark site with a 40+ tile wide "Major River" in a canyon running through the middle 3 embark tiles N-S or E-W, with the lowest point(s) of the canyon walls being at least 1z above the water (i.e. so Hippos & what-not can't climb out), a waterfall acceptable, but not preferred.

or

2) A river canyon like the above, though not necessarily central, near-enough to a volcano that I can get the volcano & the furthest side of the canyon within an, at largest 5x5 embark.

I'm not overly worried about Minerals as I'm more than happy to play with scarcity across multiple regens.

Edit1: Sorry, forgot to mention, I need a river that remains liquid year-round.
Edit2: Also, if anyone can tell me how to adjust my settings so that less of a generated world freezes in spring, that would be very helpful.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:39:08 am by JAFANZ »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: January 04, 2013, 12:56:48 pm »

... Also, if anyone can tell me how to adjust my settings so that less of a generated world freezes in spring, that would be very helpful.

Change:

Minimum Temperature
and
Maximum Temperature

to both be 75.  That's about as hot as you can get without getting into the 78+ "fat melting off their body" range.

You'll still get cold/freezing regions, but they'll be quite small.

I found an embark that matched (major river + volcano, in 2x5) but the river was only 30 wide.... so close.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: January 04, 2013, 01:21:27 pm »

I found an embark that matched (major river + volcano, in 2x5) but the river was only 30 wide.... so close.
Can you post this please?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: January 04, 2013, 02:43:40 pm »

I don't have the exact one anymore, but here's one similar:

Spoiler: worldgen (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: embark location (click to show/hide)
(middle west <-> east, far south)

Spoiler: embark screenshot (click to show/hide)

If you randomize the seeds for that worldgen, you should find at least 2 or 3 volcanos on major rivers, per world.  I'm reasonably certain you could find one in a 3x3, it would just take time.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: January 04, 2013, 02:55:32 pm »

Quick questions thread couldn't help me, so I'll post here:

Can someone please provide me with an interesting embark and a world with an interesting history? I tend to spend days and weeks finding the perfect site, instead of diving into FUN. I would tread a site you give me as an order of the high king! Nothing fancy, just a world you enjoyed and think I might enjoy as well. Thanks =)

Just three restictions:
-Nothing drasticly hard, like glaciers, war with several civs and so on
-Max 4x4 embark
-Vanilla DF
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: January 04, 2013, 05:47:37 pm »

Quick questions thread couldn't help me, so I'll post here:

Can someone please provide me with an interesting embark and a world with an interesting history? ...
The interesting history part is sort of a matter of opinion.  Personally, I remove werebeasts, necromancers and vampires as they tend to dominate quite a bit once involved in history.

However, Night Trolls are fun.  They abduct/imprison various "good" civ races and transform them into mates for themselves.  That makes for a good read in the ol' Legends mode. :)

So, here's a ~5000 year history world with many night trolls and their respective "families" as well as humans, dwarves, goblins, and elves.  I've scoped out a steel-industry friendly embark with a stream, lots of trees, and Untamed Wilds for Giant creatures, clay, sand, etc.  Details in the prospect. 

Civilized World Population

601 Dwarves
   339 Humans
   430 Elves
   10240 Goblins

Total: 11610

Spoiler: prospect (click to show/hide)

Snippet from Legends...
In the early winter of 54, Os abducted Acithi Dutyearthen the Umbra of Crypts from Hideisland.
In the early winter of 54, Os imprisoned Acithi Dutyearthen the Umbra of Crypts.
In the early winter of 54, Os changed Acithi Dutyearthen the Umbra of Crypts from a elf into a moon horror mate.

Spitfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: January 05, 2013, 03:32:45 am »

Thanks so much high king vjek! I will build a glittering fortress of FUN in your name.
Quote from: Rex_Nex
Wanting boobs is primal, not something sparked by the degradation of humanity.

Eneverforgets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: January 11, 2013, 06:47:38 am »

I don't have the exact one anymore, but here's one similar:

(middle west <-> east, far south)

Spoiler: embark screenshot (click to show/hide)

If you randomize the seeds for that worldgen, you should find at least 2 or 3 volcanos on major rivers, per world.  I'm reasonably certain you could find one in a 3x3, it would just take time.

This river on the embark site you've noted is huge.  80fps on embark huge.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: January 11, 2013, 10:49:01 am »

This river on the embark site you've noted is huge.  80fps on embark huge.
Yeah, Major Rivers can be like that.  Personally, I'm not a fan, but some people love 'em, and I'm happy to oblige.

It's a real shame DF isn't multi-threaded.  It would be sooooo much faster on multi-core systems.  All of these FPS concerns would likely be, if not a distant memory, definitely reduced significantly.

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: January 13, 2013, 05:46:42 pm »

Where's the embark location for that symmetric volcano?

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: January 14, 2013, 07:44:23 am »

So I made a boring default setting world to make sure I had applied the binary patches correctly. I embark, test, and am about to abandon when i start to wonder if this area might be any good for an actual fort, and.....
the candy goes up to the third cavern, i've got all 3 ores of iron, bronze, both fule ores, more marble than rome, and what must be several layers worth or orthoclase.
It's just a regular old world, in a plain untamed wilds forest, not a seaside volcano at war with the elves, but here it is anyway.

embark
prospect
worldgen

Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

thepodger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: January 15, 2013, 04:33:19 pm »

I just started playing DF again after a few years hiatus and I'm looking for a nice starting location in a reasonable environment with access to as many features and materials as possible to reacquaint myself with how everything works and see all the new features without worrying too much about material availability or extreme environs.

Flattish, cliffs, or valley preferred, but any 'interesting' topography is welcomed!
Volcano--Ideal is just a cindercone on a plain
Not evil, savage is a bonus
Candy
Major ores all accessible
Obsidian and marble
Sand
Clay
River
No acquifer in at least one biome

Just looking for a plain ol' fun map with lots of metal, magma, and water for building my first fortress in years!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 04:40:30 pm by thepodger »

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: January 16, 2013, 06:23:42 am »

Credit to vjek http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101280.msg3878516;topicseen#msg3878516

"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 62