Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 284948 times)

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #450 on: January 16, 2013, 09:40:06 pm »

vjek :
-snip-

There is sand. Lots and lots and LOTS of sand. It's just in the form of "sand floor" and not "sand wall"
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:41:42 pm by crekit »
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: January 17, 2013, 03:18:24 am »

What's the difference?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

crekit

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't know what he's talking about.
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: January 17, 2013, 11:28:21 am »

What's the difference?

Floors don't show up in prospector.
<-- Has no idea what just happened.

He likes gold, native gold, trees that are made of gold, and tungsten. He likes cats for their haunting meows. He needs dwarf fortress to get through the working day. When possible, prefers to consume Potatoes, cheese, cow milk. Absolutely detests elves. And spiders.

Librarian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: January 22, 2013, 04:18:49 pm »

Hi everybody !

My first post here. I've been advised by a friend to ask here, and on reddit, "the pro", for my dream-map, since i have so much trouble generating it myself ( countless rejections mainly )

If you would be so kind, i am looking for some tall mountain pics for my dwarves, taking most or all of the side of an average size embark point at least. The mountains would be taaaall with some serious cliffs. One brook or larger at least outside, and one underground. With a canyon, never managed to generate one. Some of those weird pics isolated from the mountainous mass would be niiiiiice as well as a big bonus. ( for dwarven and aesthetically pleasant environment likely to have been choosen by the settlers in terms of RP, and interesting projects )

Good & Savage medium or high, Temperate ( for the sun berries and the changing landscape, warm is ok )

Trade with all the other civs, war with the ugly

No aquifers. Multiple biomes is a nice plus. Necromancer tower is a plus.

Waterfall would be a bonus.

Shallow Metal, Deep Metal, Flux, Soil, Clay in quantities are all big bonus but none is a necessity, i am already asking a lot.

If someone know how to generate it i would be more than happy. I just don't get it.

However as much as i would be glad for a map, i would also like the generation parameters with their influence so that i can do it myself in the future.

P.S. How can i make sure to get a dragon ? ( Need one for my treasure room )

Thanks a lot my lovely dwarves !
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:48:08 pm by Librarian »

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: January 24, 2013, 07:56:47 pm »

Hello! I eventually found my way here, huzzah! Been looking over the thread from top to bottom (well, sorta.. Ive only gotten about 1/3rd of the way through) but I figured I'd log a request!

First off, I had no idea that large/wide rivers could be done.. Ive never encountered more than stream/brooks 3-4 wide at tops. I rarely play around with erosion cycle and such since I dont fully understand what they do. Seeing some of the huge ones here makes me a little giddy though since thats the sort of thing I'd like!

So!

4x4-6x6 embark
River, 20-30 wide (40 wide is a bit much), in a canyon is nice  but not required. A decent sized island in it would be nice also, but again not required.
Iron and Flux
At least one of: silver, gold, platinum or aluminum
other metals optional (but candy highly encouraged)
savage wilds on the embark location, or savage wilds/joyous wilds (never played in a good biome before..)
moderate evil in the world, a few towers perhaps but no vampires if possible?
plenty of wood in the embark area
no clay, no aquifers, and preferred little soil

Hopefully that is enough useful info. I'd prefer Genesis Reborn (5.17) but will take Vanilla as well.

TY in advance <3
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: January 24, 2013, 11:17:44 pm »

... for Vanilla 34.11, Iwcoyote

Has some of what you wanted, but... savagery, necro towers, and good/evil are a hard combination.

River is narrow, but there is a waterfall!  Serene and Sinister.  Plenty of Feather/Glumprong/other wood, Sliver Barbs/Sun Berries.  No clay, no aquifer.  Lots of metals/flux/candy.  Tower as a neighbor.  No vampires.

Of course you can remove the seeds and try your hand at generating a few.  If you want to give up the savagery, and/or give up the good/evil and/or give up the necro towers, I can provide a much more specific embark.  All three is a tall order! :)

Civilized World Population (4x4 embark, 1000 year history)

207 Dwarves
   513 Humans
   7710 Elves
   191056 Goblins
   2327 Kobolds

Total: 201813

Spoiler: worldgen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: prospect (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: embark location (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: embark screenshot (click to show/hide)
EDIT: Remarkably, it doesn't have an aquifer according to the embark finder.  But it does have a small one on Z-Level 136, on the south map edge.  Not a huge deal, but didn't want to be misleading.  8)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:28:24 pm by vjek »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: January 24, 2013, 11:37:50 pm »

May I enquire what command you use to prospect? 'cos whilst I get Aquifer & Temple announcements, I've never seen "Has HFS Tubes" before.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: January 24, 2013, 11:39:19 pm »

May I enquire what command you use to prospect? 'cos whilst I get Aquifer & Temple announcements, I've never seen "Has HFS Tubes" before.
that's 'prospect hell' with dfhack 34.11r2

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: January 25, 2013, 12:19:39 am »

Thank you, I've been using "all", I didn't realise prospect had a "hell" option.

Apologies to all for digression from the thread's purpose.

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: January 25, 2013, 02:37:27 am »

... for Vanilla 34.11, Iwcoyote

Has some of what you wanted, but... savagery, necro towers, and good/evil are a hard combination.

River is narrow, but there is a waterfall!  Serene and Sinister.  Plenty of Feather/Glumprong/other wood, Sliver Barbs/Sun Berries.  No clay, no aquifer.  Lots of metals/flux/candy.  Tower as a neighbor.  No vampires.

Of course you can remove the seeds and try your hand at generating a few.  If you want to give up the savagery, and/or give up the good/evil and/or give up the necro towers, I can provide a much more specific embark.  All three is a tall order! :)

Ack, I think I was too specific, or perhaps not fully clear - I wasnt necessarily looking for evil or a tower in the embark area, just in the world in general.. Im gonna guess that would have made things easier. I'll check out what you posted for sure, once I re-fix my vanilla install.
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

GiantBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: January 26, 2013, 03:25:39 pm »

Hello, I would like to request a world that has an volcano embark with  iron and silver (and aluminium for my statues but it's not necesarry) that's next to an freshwater lake , that's all :).
(English isn't my first language so sorry if i may have misspelled something).

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: January 26, 2013, 05:04:16 pm »

I tried genning a world with no cavern layers, and it genned a legends only map (farming civilization exception).
Then I did it with one, two and three layers, and it still genned a legends only map (with the same error)...
How come?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: January 26, 2013, 05:57:35 pm »

I tried genning a world with no cavern layers, and it genned a legends only map (farming civilization exception).
Then I did it with one, two and three layers, and it still genned a legends only map (with the same error)...
How come?
Despite the player being able to use above ground seeds on above ground farm plots, civ dwarves cannot.
So, you need at least one cavern layer for vanilla 34.11 dwarves to be able to survive via undground farming.  It also must have -some- water in that cavern layer.  Finally, a very small amount of water in the cavern layer will sometimes restrict what types of undeground crop seeds are available on embark.

However, you can change that, trivially, and give your dwarves the ability to use above ground farming, and then generate worlds with no caverns.

joeclark77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: January 27, 2013, 03:15:56 am »

Hi all, I'm still new-ish and am looking for an embark with a tall waterfall and cliff (preferably if there's a curve in the river creating a "crag" that would be good for building a castle), iron, flux, and convenient magma.  I still haven't worked with magma yet as it is always very, very deep.  I'm looking for a site that's moderately dangerous, but not downright evil.  My current map is completely boring, I'm pumping out high-value trade goods as fast as I can but it took me years to get one puny goblin attack.  And all I have for wild animals are a couple of turkeys.

The Dingos

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I <3 Necromancers & Volcanoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: January 27, 2013, 03:08:03 pm »

I'm making a *fun* new world, and it'll have 1999 years of history:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Some of the volcanoes are covered by towers, so you cant see all of them in this image...
Anyone else wanna embark here? I'll post the parameters too if there's interest, but this has taken hours (with 300 civs, that's what I would expect).
I <3 Necromancers & Volcanoes
"The dead walk. Hide while you still can!"
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 62