Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 284732 times)

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #690 on: July 04, 2013, 04:59:26 pm »

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to generate a very special embark spot, i'm looking for a sheer stone cliff in a desert biome with gold and iron deposits as well as some coal. Oh and Clown Car, Is such a thing even possible?
tl;dr: My fortress is literally powered by puppy skulls.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: July 04, 2013, 08:56:54 pm »

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to generate a very special embark spot, i'm looking for a sheer stone cliff in a desert biome with gold and iron deposits as well as some coal. Oh and Clown Car, Is such a thing even possible?
sheer stone cliff will be where two rivers meet.
gold, iron, and coal, no problem.  clown car is always present.
desert and rivers of appropriate size will be challenging, but not impossible.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: July 04, 2013, 11:52:20 pm »

Thanks, now the work begins

GrimDark_Majyyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: July 04, 2013, 11:58:05 pm »

If you use the Perfect World utility you can use the rainfall map and drainage map features to your advantage by raising the desert threshold. After that just add a lot of rivers and your desired location will surely be a reality after a couple of map gens. Deserts are (obviously) low rainfall, and low drainage. Also in the low rainfall categories are rocky wasteland, which is high drainage, and I think medium drainage is badlands.

The DFwiki has enough information on how biomes work that it can be pretty easy to get your desired gen. The only really unpredictable things appear to be good/evil biomes and temperature.

**Minor Update**
I like using the world generator so I went ahead and tried to produce a region heavier in desert biomes. It does have more deserts than I usually produce, but I still intended for there to be greater swaths of sandy desert than are presently available there. I think adding all those extra rivers confused it somehow because it was about then that I noticed an unusual border between zones (the flat one between a forest and then suddenly badlands). I'll try again with some smaller worlds after I plumb the riches of the present one. If I find an embark site relevant to your interests I'll let you know and post its worldgen.txt entry.

Also I deliberately bothered the large zone options and those have a way of turning the entire ocean into an evil biome, which I like because evil oceans are amusing for embark purposes. It is easily rectified by setting the good/evil large region settings to 0.

For now, here is a picture:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

**Update Again**
Found a promising site, which I embarked on and did some minor exploration.

There is a lot of slope, but a sizable plateau exists at the upper z-level. There are actually two different aquifers but both can be readily avoided, as there is a pretty large gap between both of them. The large amount of slope, especially that on the northern side of the map causes the red sand to be available a pretty long way down while also allowing you to have a lot of access to stone at the cliffs. Mind the aquifer, although it is largely out of the way it is pretty big.

The river coming from the south is significantly higher than the one moving along the east-west axis and once it thaws it will waterfall into the river below. My map is in a temperate zone so the rivers are presently frozen and there is snow all over the place.

Here is the relevant prospect info:

Sadly, no coal. I'll resume searching in other areas of desert, since, unless you want to embark half-desert half-place-with-trees you will probably actually need coal in order to protect your dwarves from being killed by sissy gas-butterfly FBs.

**Useless Update**
I am still poking around, but I've found a few more places that are, from the embark screen, similar to what we are searching for. I had to make a copy of the map to continue searching, though, because I found an embark site that I really, really liked for myself and simply had to use it. There are at least three major regions where I found desert river cliffs, two of which have no troublesome aquifers.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:53:20 am by GrimDark_Majyyks »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: July 05, 2013, 11:19:03 am »

Here's a site, Boltlarge, that matches your requirements, Shininglight:

Hot Sand Desert, 3x2 embark size.
There is an aquifer, although it doesn't cover the entire embark.  Also much, but not all, of the hematite is within this aquifer.  Of course, there are different ways of dealing with the aquifer, if it's a big problem.
Coal, Gold, Iron, and Flux as requested, are present.

Spoiler: Boltlarge (click to show/hide)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: July 05, 2013, 01:07:09 pm »

@Grimdark:
Where was this world when I was doing my challenge fort? I had to settle with the land-side of my embark being evil, and so burrowing into the earth under the ocean when it froze didn't really offer what I was looking for (although the zombies were a problem for the migrants). Now, if undead whales had attacked whenever it thawed, that would have been cool.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Shininglight

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi There
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: July 05, 2013, 09:59:30 pm »

Here's a site, Boltlarge, that matches your requirements, Shininglight:

Hot Sand Desert, 3x2 embark size.
There is an aquifer, although it doesn't cover the entire embark.  Also much, but not all, of the hematite is within this aquifer.  Of course, there are different ways of dealing with the aquifer, if it's a big problem.
Coal, Gold, Iron, and Flux as requested, are present.

Spoiler: Boltlarge (click to show/hide)

If you use the Perfect World utility you can use the rainfall map and drainage map features to your advantage by raising the desert threshold. After that just add a lot of rivers and your desired location will surely be a reality after a couple of map gens. Deserts are (obviously) low rainfall, and low drainage. Also in the low rainfall categories are rocky wasteland, which is high drainage, and I think medium drainage is badlands.

The DFwiki has enough information on how biomes work that it can be pretty easy to get your desired gen. The only really unpredictable things appear to be good/evil biomes and temperature.

**Minor Update**
I like using the world generator so I went ahead and tried to produce a region heavier in desert biomes. It does have more deserts than I usually produce, but I still intended for there to be greater swaths of sandy desert than are presently available there. I think adding all those extra rivers confused it somehow because it was about then that I noticed an unusual border between zones (the flat one between a forest and then suddenly badlands). I'll try again with some smaller worlds after I plumb the riches of the present one. If I find an embark site relevant to your interests I'll let you know and post its worldgen.txt entry.

Also I deliberately bothered the large zone options and those have a way of turning the entire ocean into an evil biome, which I like because evil oceans are amusing for embark purposes. It is easily rectified by setting the good/evil large region settings to 0.

For now, here is a picture:

**Update Again**
Found a promising site, which I embarked on and did some minor exploration.

There is a lot of slope, but a sizable plateau exists at the upper z-level. There are actually two different aquifers but both can be readily avoided, as there is a pretty large gap between both of them. The large amount of slope, especially that on the northern side of the map causes the red sand to be available a pretty long way down while also allowing you to have a lot of access to stone at the cliffs. Mind the aquifer, although it is largely out of the way it is pretty big.

The river coming from the south is significantly higher than the one moving along the east-west axis and once it thaws it will waterfall into the river below. My map is in a temperate zone so the rivers are presently frozen and there is snow all over the place.

Here is the relevant prospect info:

Sadly, no coal. I'll resume searching in other areas of desert, since, unless you want to embark half-desert half-place-with-trees you will probably actually need coal in order to protect your dwarves from being killed by sissy gas-butterfly FBs.

**Useless Update**
I am still poking around, but I've found a few more places that are, from the embark screen, similar to what we are searching for. I had to make a copy of the map to continue searching, though, because I found an embark site that I really, really liked for myself and simply had to use it. There are at least three major regions where I found desert river cliffs, two of which have no troublesome aquifers.

Thanks guys i'll try it out, my idea was for my fort to be built into the stone side of a bluff, i was planning on exporting the gold and much of the iron while importing whatever i can't make, it's going to be a relatively small fort and built around a "supply depot" type idea.

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: July 08, 2013, 05:01:42 am »

I have a request.

5x5 Embark (I could work with any size though bigger is abit better)

Flat ground going to sheer cliff.
Example:
mmmmm       m = Mountain
mmmmm       c = Cliff
mmmmm       f = Flat
c  c c c  c
f  f  f  f  f
Doesn't need to be exactly this shape.

Plenty of Iron and Gold
Lots of candy
Flux
Sand
Clay would be nice but I'm not fussed by it too much.
Some trees.
Open caverns with lots of water.

Can anyone help a Dorf out? :D

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: July 08, 2013, 09:02:41 am »

Some questions for you, Planks.

When you say cliff, do you mean no ramps?  And how many Z-Levels does the cliff have to be? 1? 10? 32?
Or do you mean a chasm between the mountainous and flat part?
Do you expect that the mountain will rise in elevation away from the cliff, or you just want a Mountain biome and it can be flat?

Can there be running water on the embark?

Do you care about temperature (can it be covered in snow) ?

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: July 08, 2013, 09:32:55 am »

I found something similar to that on DFFD recently, but it does involve a major river. However I think with a few setting modifications you can get something pretty similar to what you are looking for. http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7788
Thanks, nice one. i'll look into that.
Oookay, here we go. Somehow modified that for evilness, soo...

Terrifying warm forest, sand, clay, tons of metals, flux and candy, major river&canyon, waterfall (second stream combines with first one just a few tiles from edge, so can very easily made into second waterfall), and clown tent. sadly no volcano :(
Spoiler: prospect (click to show/hide)
params: http://rghost.ru/47293138
(could some1 plz repost them as text? my poor connection from here can't handle 1mb profile and hangs :(, and filesharing will expire in 1 month

Would something like Rooterracks + an evil-biome volcano be what you're looking for, Hommit?
Maybe half or whole area, not only volcano, but yeah. and wider canyon.
any luck on this?

2 Planks: u can dig right side of ^that map out, lol

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: July 08, 2013, 09:49:22 am »

... any luck on this?
It's tricky.  I can get you a river that's 1 region wide, but the FPS drain is significant.  Getting a river that's more than 10 but less than 50 in width, but many z-levels, and with a volcano, is largely a matter of random chance.  And not a very high random chance. :)

Organikk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: July 08, 2013, 12:57:45 pm »

Hi there!

I'm looking to try out my first evil embark, and I'm looking for a relatively specific embark. I'd like it to be mostly evil, with some untamed wilds, a body of moving water for fishing, and a volcano(doesnt have to be flat), iron, flux, some soil, and preferably no ground or smoke that regenerates corpses. I'm using masterwork if that changed how world-gen works at all.

If someone could possibly make this and post a download link to the world, already made, that would be great, ive had a rough time making worlds with seeds and .txt files(they never turn out how i want them)

If this is possible to gen for me, hard farming off (masterwork options) would be great... I cant stand waiting 4 seasons for plump helmets.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 01:29:32 pm by Organikk »

GrimDark_Majyyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: July 08, 2013, 04:53:53 pm »

I'm not sure if I can actually control the content of evil biomes as far as what will happen with corpses. I also can't control what evil clouds do, however it is possible to eliminate them entirely which is probably the best solution with regard to avoiding reanimation or thrallification. I am not using Masterwork, so as far as I know I can't generate a Masterwork world unless I install the mod. Not that that would actually stop me since I can just make a copy of DF and install Masterwork on that copy, so I may have to do that. I could give you the worldgen.txt info but you've already expressed difficulties with that (which I could help you overcome, if you are so inclined).

Before I generate a map there are other things I would like to know, as they are settings I find can dramatically alter the experience. Do you have any preferences with regard to megabeast and titan populations? Do you like more or less civilizations? Outside of high savagery and having evil-biome diversity do you have any biome preferences? You asked for running water so I am going to assume you don't want many aquifers, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll do a little bit of research and see what I can do about avoiding corpse-raising in evil biomes, and if nothing else I can supply a seed and someone else can probably gen it. Or someone else will beat me to doing this, we'll see hoo hoo hoo

ALSO! About getting volcanoes where you want them:
Yup, pretty much just chance.

***UPDATE***

I have found one promising gen if you don't mind having a 2x4 or 4x4 embark area, but I will try one more map gen before I go to class since I suspect I can do mildly better with a minor adjustment or two. Considering that the class I am going to is Art History and I remember practically everything I hear I can probably spend some time during class performing minor tasks like taking pictures of promising embark sites.

Also, one more question; do you care if untamed wilds is joyous wilds instead or do you really want it to be untamed wilds? I ask because I think I can generate good biomes with greater control than neutral ones. Furthermore, I thiiiiiinnnnnk Vjek posted something a few days ago that fits nearly all the requirements except having a volcano and we might be able to tinker with that idk. Puzzledceiling or Puzzledroof or something having to do with being puzzled about the top of a building, can't look now gotta run to class.

As an aside, I seem to have stumbled across settings that cause elf extinctions but not human ones. Will test more.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2013, 06:59:03 pm by GrimDark_Majyyks »

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: July 09, 2013, 04:03:14 am »

Some questions for you, Planks.

When you say cliff, do you mean no ramps?  And how many Z-Levels does the cliff have to be? 1? 10? 32?
Or do you mean a chasm between the mountainous and flat part?
Do you expect that the mountain will rise in elevation away from the cliff, or you just want a Mountain biome and it can be flat?

Can there be running water on the embark?

Do you care about temperature (can it be covered in snow) ?

Sorry let me word it differently. Flat ground that raises straight up into mountains. Ramps are fine since they are usally generated. 30+ levels would be awesome.

So shaped somthing like this:
               _______
              /
             /
            /
           /
          /
_____/

I don't realy want running water as it kills fps. Any temp is fine.

@Hommit My dorfs are going to do lots of digging as it is! :P

Thanks.

Organikk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: July 09, 2013, 11:02:39 am »

I'm not sure if I can actually control the content of evil biomes as far as what will happen with corpses. I also can't control what evil clouds do, however it is possible to eliminate them entirely which is probably the best solution with regard to avoiding reanimation or thrallification. I am not using Masterwork, so as far as I know I can't generate a Masterwork world unless I install the mod. Not that that would actually stop me since I can just make a copy of DF and install Masterwork on that copy, so I may have to do that. I could give you the worldgen.txt info but you've already expressed difficulties with that (which I could help you overcome, if you are so inclined).

Before I generate a map there are other things I would like to know, as they are settings I find can dramatically alter the experience. Do you have any preferences with regard to megabeast and titan populations? Do you like more or less civilizations? Outside of high savagery and having evil-biome diversity do you have any biome preferences? You asked for running water so I am going to assume you don't want many aquifers, correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll do a little bit of research and see what I can do about avoiding corpse-raising in evil biomes, and if nothing else I can supply a seed and someone else can probably gen it. Or someone else will beat me to doing this, we'll see hoo hoo hoo

ALSO! About getting volcanoes where you want them:
Yup, pretty much just chance.

***UPDATE***

I have found one promising gen if you don't mind having a 2x4 or 4x4 embark area, but I will try one more map gen before I go to class since I suspect I can do mildly better with a minor adjustment or two. Considering that the class I am going to is Art History and I remember practically everything I hear I can probably spend some time during class performing minor tasks like taking pictures of promising embark sites.

Also, one more question; do you care if untamed wilds is joyous wilds instead or do you really want it to be untamed wilds? I ask because I think I can generate good biomes with greater control than neutral ones. Furthermore, I thiiiiiinnnnnk Vjek posted something a few days ago that fits nearly all the requirements except having a volcano and we might be able to tinker with that idk. Puzzledceiling or Puzzledroof or something having to do with being puzzled about the top of a building, can't look now gotta run to class.

As an aside, I seem to have stumbled across settings that cause elf extinctions but not human ones. Will test more.

Hi there! Thanks for helping me out, I dont know much about Megabeast and Titans, as I've never encountered any :/. I think that having the evil biom and wilds will be enough for now. I'd like to have lots of Civs to interact with, which increases my chances of pissing one off and getting sieged. No aquifers would be prefered, wood would be nice, normal temp, I dont really know what other biome options you need

I would love to know how to fix the world gen issues I'm having too.

Last questions, what is the difference between joyus wilds and untamed?
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 62