Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 284972 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #705 on: July 09, 2013, 01:04:03 pm »

I have a request.

5x5 Embark (I could work with any size though bigger is abit better)

Flat ground going to sheer cliff.
Example:
mmmmm       m = Mountain
mmmmm       c = Cliff
mmmmm       f = Flat
c  c c c  c
f  f  f  f  f
Doesn't need to be exactly this shape.

Plenty of Iron and Gold
Lots of candy
Flux
Sand
Clay would be nice but I'm not fussed by it too much.
Some trees.
Open caverns with lots of water.

Can anyone help a Dorf out? :D
Ok, here's one that I think is a close match, Planks.
3x3 embark (you can expand it if you want, this is just the closest match) with mountainous and temperate shrubland.
At least 40 Z levels of "rise".  gold, iron & steel friendly, no sand.  There are other embarks nearby with sand, if that's a deal breaker.  This one had a good slope, though.   8)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 09, 2013, 01:07:57 pm »

Yup, pretty much just chance.

***UPDATE***

I have found one promising gen if you don't mind having a 2x4 or 4x4 embark area, but I will try one more map gen before I go to class since I suspect I can do mildly better with a minor adjustment or two. Considering that the class I am going to is Art History and I remember practically everything I hear I can probably spend some time during class performing minor tasks like taking pictures of promising embark sites.

Also, one more question; do you care if untamed wilds is joyous wilds instead or do you really want it to be untamed wilds? I ask because I think I can generate good biomes with greater control than neutral ones. Furthermore, I thiiiiiinnnnnk Vjek posted something a few days ago that fits nearly all the requirements except having a volcano and we might be able to tinker with that idk. Puzzledceiling or Puzzledroof or something having to do with being puzzled about the top of a building, can't look now gotta run to class.

As an aside, I seem to have stumbled across settings that cause elf extinctions but not human ones. Will test more.
[/spoiler]

Hi there! Thanks for helping me out, I dont know much about Megabeast and Titans, as I've never encountered any :/. I think that having the evil biom and wilds will be enough for now. I'd like to have lots of Civs to interact with, which increases my chances of pissing one off and getting sieged. No aquifers would be prefered, wood would be nice, normal temp, I dont really know what other biome options you need

I would love to know how to fix the world gen issues I'm having too.

Last questions, what is the difference between joyus wilds and untamed?
[/quote]

Joyous wilds has unicorns.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

PLANKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 09, 2013, 11:06:13 pm »

I have a request.

5x5 Embark (I could work with any size though bigger is abit better)

Flat ground going to sheer cliff.
Example:
mmmmm       m = Mountain
mmmmm       c = Cliff
mmmmm       f = Flat
c  c c c  c
f  f  f  f  f
Doesn't need to be exactly this shape.

Plenty of Iron and Gold
Lots of candy
Flux
Sand
Clay would be nice but I'm not fussed by it too much.
Some trees.
Open caverns with lots of water.

Can anyone help a Dorf out? :D
Ok, here's one that I think is a close match, Planks.
3x3 embark (you can expand it if you want, this is just the closest match) with mountainous and temperate shrubland.
At least 40 Z levels of "rise".  gold, iron & steel friendly, no sand.  There are other embarks nearby with sand, if that's a deal breaker.  This one had a good slope, though.   8)

Thanks Vjek I'll check it out.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: July 10, 2013, 01:46:01 pm »

I want to make a clay fortress. I've tried this in a heavily forested area, but incredibly rapid deforestation ended that pretty quickly. So I need magma.

Necessities: surface magma, surface or near-surface clay, no evil fog/rain that will kill my dwarves for being above ground, access to humans/dwarves/goblins, relatively flat ground
Huge bonuses: very flat ground (i.e. the majority of the surface is on one z level), fire clay instead of regular clay, river or brook
Nice bonuses: aquifer (for water, if no river/brook is present), access to elves/kobolds
Not necessary but cool: sand

A seed and location would be nice, but if you just want to give me some worldgen parameters that will make this most likely then I can generate things and search myself.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 10, 2013, 03:00:13 pm »

I want to make a clay fortress. I've tried this in a heavily forested area, but incredibly rapid deforestation ended that pretty quickly. So I need magma.

Necessities: surface magma, surface or near-surface clay, no evil fog/rain that will kill my dwarves for being above ground, access to humans/dwarves/goblins, relatively flat ground
Huge bonuses: very flat ground (i.e. the majority of the surface is on one z level), fire clay instead of regular clay, river or brook
Nice bonuses: aquifer (for water, if no river/brook is present), access to elves/kobolds
Not necessary but cool: sand

A seed and location would be nice, but if you just want to give me some worldgen parameters that will make this most likely then I can generate things and search myself.
Everything but sand, found!
3x2 Scorching Tropical Shrubland embark with stream, fire clay and surface volcano.  Flat.  All races.

Interesting note: I've never seen an embark quite like this, in all the hundreds (thousands?) of embarks I've seen.  The surface is... higher than the water, and the pools are two Z levels deep.  It's kind of neat.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 10, 2013, 09:39:42 pm »

How do I generate an embark with:

3x3
No (or minimal) flowing surface water, to speed up frame-rate
lots of diverse metals, with both iron ores and flux
max adamantine
sand and bituminous coal, with clay if possible
not too evil (I'm fairly noobish).
Never pet a burning dog.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 11, 2013, 12:34:52 am »

How do I generate an embark with:

3x3
No (or minimal) flowing surface water, to speed up frame-rate
lots of diverse metals, with both iron ores and flux
max adamantine
sand and bituminous coal, with clay if possible
not too evil (I'm fairly noobish).
Something like this:
3x3 Embark in Warm, Temperate Conifer Forest
Dwarves and Goblins, a few titans & beasts

Organikk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 11, 2013, 11:54:29 am »

Yup, pretty much just chance.

***UPDATE***

I have found one promising gen if you don't mind having a 2x4 or 4x4 embark area, but I will try one more map gen before I go to class since I suspect I can do mildly better with a minor adjustment or two. Considering that the class I am going to is Art History and I remember practically everything I hear I can probably spend some time during class performing minor tasks like taking pictures of promising embark sites.

Also, one more question; do you care if untamed wilds is joyous wilds instead or do you really want it to be untamed wilds? I ask because I think I can generate good biomes with greater control than neutral ones. Furthermore, I thiiiiiinnnnnk Vjek posted something a few days ago that fits nearly all the requirements except having a volcano and we might be able to tinker with that idk. Puzzledceiling or Puzzledroof or something having to do with being puzzled about the top of a building, can't look now gotta run to class.

As an aside, I seem to have stumbled across settings that cause elf extinctions but not human ones. Will test more.
[/spoiler]

Hi there! Thanks for helping me out, I dont know much about Megabeast and Titans, as I've never encountered any :/. I think that having the evil biom and wilds will be enough for now. I'd like to have lots of Civs to interact with, which increases my chances of pissing one off and getting sieged. No aquifers would be prefered, wood would be nice, normal temp, I dont really know what other biome options you need

I would love to know how to fix the world gen issues I'm having too.

Last questions, what is the difference between joyus wilds and untamed?

Joyous wilds has unicorns.

I like Unicorns...

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 18, 2013, 05:33:00 pm »

Well, I've been messing about in world gen, just looking for interesting features.  I found an open volcano sitting under two z levels of lake water.  I had to patch the embark and my dwarves ended up on a small out-cropping of rock in the lower left hand corner of the map.

I'm not sure if this is an interesting embark. Might be completely isolated from dwarf civ, not sure.  Might be a good science embark because of the easy and infinite availability of water and magma in close proximity.

What was interesting was watching the lake drain into the caldera and close it up.  The initial series of collapses often seems to breach some HFS around z -58. Also looks like it effects one of the layers of caverns as well.

WORLD_GEN:

Embark Location:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 05:40:22 pm by flameaway »
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.

Hommit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 20, 2013, 04:00:31 pm »

Had my first encounter with reanimating embark (flat volcano, 4z deep canyon, metals, flux, sand)
that was... interesting :P
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:09:49 pm by Hommit »

Vndetta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 20, 2013, 05:48:03 pm »

I've been trying for weeks (literally) to generate a particular custom world and can't do it. It flat-out crashes with a Windows unhandled exception error while "Finalizing Sites" at the end, no matter if I stop it mid-generation or let it run to completion. Tried everything I can find to fix it; four different PCs, fresh installs, Large Address Aware, etc. but nothing worked. No mods, and I don't think it's the seed, because I had the same issue with different ones, although non-custom worlds generate fine.

Anyway, I really want to play this world with these exact parameters, because it just looks so darn cool. The "# dead" count keeps going backward because of all the zombies, heh. Lots of volcanoes, and it looks like it will be really varied.

Can someone generate it, and share it back with me? I'm also curious to see if it works elsewhere, 'cause it sure ain't workin' here, haha. Just in case someone can do this, I'll add that I would prefer it run to 1050, have at least one standing necromancer-tower at the end of generation, and for none of the races to be completely dead. So is having someone else generate the world possible?

WORLD_GEN parameters:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 05:53:05 pm by Vndetta »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: July 20, 2013, 07:55:06 pm »

Unfortunately, Vndetta, that worldgen has been manually edited beyond what the game would normally permit for input values.  As such, I think you'll have a hard time getting it to work.

Vndetta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 20, 2013, 07:59:06 pm »

Unfortunately, Vndetta, that worldgen has been manually edited beyond what the game would normally permit for input values.  As such, I think you'll have a hard time getting it to work.

Hmm... I did max out some values in the "advanced parameters" screen within the game, but nothing is beyond maximum (I didn't edit the text file manually, I mean). I didn't think it allowed you to go beyond the numbers in-game.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 20, 2013, 08:06:06 pm »

Ok, I'll rephrase then... some of those values are way out of wack, and the only way it's going to work is if you reduce them back to something reasonable/default.  :D

Astarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 24, 2013, 06:07:38 pm »

I'm looking for a 4x4 or 5x5 embark site to build a mountain fortress. I'm looking for a site with a flat area and then a sheer slope, it doesn't need to be a cliff, but something close to that.

Has to have: Flux, iron, a lot of ore/gem variety, a tropical savage biome, and expansive caves(I know how to get these, but I'm not clear on whether it affects other aspects of worldgen?)
Would be nice: A river, joyous wilds, sand, clay, and a volcano.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 62