Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 283592 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #735 on: August 05, 2013, 03:13:24 pm »

Industrious players can remedy that, but it requires multiple overlapping embarks, and thus, dfhack.

You can create a bridge between the island and the landmass, and that allows other civs to visit.

*tested! I used liquids after forcing the embark over the ocean while still paused on intial site load, to create obsidian floors supported by obsidian walls down to the ocean floors. Worked great.

Legionaries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: August 08, 2013, 08:54:28 pm »

So I've been lurking in the forum for a long time, but this thread contains enough awesome that I had to register just to say this thread is full of awesome.

This thread is full of awesome.  Thank you for helping us out.  I forged my first candy weapon and opened my first pit yesterday evening using the embark on reply 287, and I've generated but not started the world in post 724 because I just opened my first pit and forged my first candy weapon yesterday evening.  I have to see if I can take the clowns on my first try.

I will not make my first post a request - that would not be awesome.  I will make it my third post because I can plan ahead.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: August 08, 2013, 10:59:43 pm »

So I've been lurking in the forum for a long time, but this thread contains enough awesome that I had to register just to say this thread is full of awesome.

This thread is full of awesome.  Thank you for helping us out.  I forged my first candy weapon and opened my first pit yesterday evening using the embark on reply 287, and I've generated but not started the world in post 724 because I just opened my first pit and forged my first candy weapon yesterday evening.  I have to see if I can take the clowns on my first try.

I will not make my first post a request - that would not be awesome.  I will make it my third post because I can plan ahead.
Glad to hear it!  I find myself looking back through the thread now, first, before I gen new worlds.  There's a few nuggets, for sure.

Legionaries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: August 08, 2013, 11:38:29 pm »

I do have a specific question for the world generation masters.
I am very curious about the at war status with other civilizations.  There are plenty of interesting worlds getting generated, but I have a idea in my head.

I think it would be fun to build my army off of the melted down spoils from lots of sieges.  Become powerful enough clear out the HFS wave. Why worry about iron in the ground.. when you can have it delivered by GobEx.  Just kill the goblin and remove.  I'm stating to think about a map without a lot of iron or copper and maybe silver to make this survival story with my fort as I go.  Maybe I will go completely underground as it is the reverse of some of the fort challenges I've seen.

I just played one embark in the middle of 3 towers. I'm a bit tired of undead at the moment.  I've seen comments on how to generate more towers so we can ignore those for the moment.  Every time a goblin siege arrived the undead siege came as well and killed them.  I kill the undead and all is well.

If you wanted to have as many civilizations war with you as possible at embark... how would you approach it?  I saw the wiki entry with all the goblins.  Can you have lots of every other race that hates you as well?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: August 08, 2013, 11:44:41 pm »

I've never tried to get all the races to be at war.  I can see it with elves and goblins, but humans are pretty tolerant.

You can modify races to be easier to go to war with (over philosophical differences and communication problems) but in general, I've found that if you have multiple non dwarven civs, of all types, you can get at least one of them to be at war with you.

I'll see what I can do to generate an at war world, with elves, humans, and goblins.

Legionaries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: August 09, 2013, 12:40:40 am »

I've never tried to get all the races to be at war.  I can see it with elves and goblins, but humans are pretty tolerant.

You can modify races to be easier to go to war with (over philosophical differences and communication problems) but in general, I've found that if you have multiple non dwarven civs, of all types, you can get at least one of them to be at war with you.

I'll see what I can do to generate an at war world, with elves, humans, and goblins.

Thanks a bunch.  I think the only other thing I would ask for some magma close to the embark location.  It doesn't have to be a volcano - I just don't want to attempt another 100z level pumpstack for water or 100z level minecart magma delivery system.  I just discovered volcano joy so I'd not say no to one.

But I'm game to try anything you think fits the description.  The at war is hard enough.

Spacebat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: August 14, 2013, 02:58:11 pm »

so here's my worldgen parameters. I want to make this world a patchwork of good and evil biomes next to each other, but raising the SAVAGERY_RANGES values just results in endless rejections and without it I just get a few good and evil biomes scattered around. I tried raising the GOOD_SQ_COUNTS and EVIL_SQ_COUNTS but that didn't do anything except make oceans good or evil. I also used perfectworlddf to make a predefined volcanism map, but that's too long to include in the post.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: August 14, 2013, 03:33:53 pm »

You might try adjusting the weights on the good/evil meshes as well. By default, there is no weighting on the algorithm, but you can turn it on for fun and profit.

Works wonders when futzing with elevations as well.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: August 15, 2013, 01:09:57 am »

so here's my worldgen parameters. I want to make this world a patchwork of good and evil biomes next to each other, but raising the SAVAGERY_RANGES values just results in endless rejections and without it I just get a few good and evil biomes scattered around. I tried raising the GOOD_SQ_COUNTS and EVIL_SQ_COUNTS but that didn't do anything except make oceans good or evil. I also used perfectworlddf to make a predefined volcanism map, but that's too long to include in the post.
Give this one a try, Spacebat:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You can make a larger world, but you run the risk of rejections due to running out of subregions.  As the max subregions is 5000, and the max number of regions in a 65x65 is 4225, there's no risk of that.

In any case, that'll create a tremendous number of good/evil regions, adjacent.  That particular world is also steel friendly, and has a great steel-friendly embark if you're looking for one.  If that's not what you want, just randomize the seeds for different worlds.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #744 on: August 15, 2013, 03:32:04 pm »

Hi,

I'm looking for a particular sort of embark for my next fortress and I was hoping this thread could help.

I'm looking to make a dwarfen monestary where my dwarfs can dedicate their lives to wrestling and !!science!!

I want a mountain which goes up many z levels in the middle of a plain, the more z levels the better! Ideally it will be fairly broad and square, I'm going to shape it later on. I don't want anything too cold either (and no volcanoes). To clarify I'm looking for a mountain with plains surrounding it 360 degrees, hopefully in the middle of a large embark.

I'd like it to span across many biomes as I want a rich variety of stone and metal, however I am not fussy what metals they are as long as there is an abundance of either gold, silver or platinum. I'd also like as much candy as possible.

Bonuses would be at least one river or one aquafier, decent collection of wild animals, plenty of invaders and people to trade with. Trees would be very useful too.

Ideally I'm planning an 8x8 embark so hopefully it won't be too difficult to get everything i want...

What do you guys think? :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 04:25:03 pm by Ravendarksky »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: August 15, 2013, 03:54:07 pm »

... What do you guys think? :)
Do you only want one slope in the embark, or the entire mountain, surrounded by plains, within the 8x8?

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #746 on: August 15, 2013, 04:07:28 pm »

I want a lonely mountain type thing, plains all around! Ideally the mountain is rocky too so I can engrave high up in it... I've had no luck finding something like this myself but I'm not great at world genning.

Spacebat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: August 16, 2013, 12:50:57 pm »

Well, for the sake of science, I tried fiddling with the weighted mesh on savagery, and even setting the mesh size to 2x2 and telling it to make 90% of the world savage didn't work. I still just have a pretty normal distribution of savagery with almost no good/evil areas. Further research is required.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: August 16, 2013, 04:23:45 pm »

I'm having some trouble finding a Glacial/Tundra terrifying aquifered embark that raises the undead.  Basically, everything gone horribly wrong.  I'm hoping one of you kind folks can help me.

I've tried messing with advanced worldgen and I'm getting tons of rejections as I can't seem to get the temperature and glacial values worked out to lower the # of rejections.  Any recommendations?

Spacebat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: August 16, 2013, 04:27:43 pm »

Wow, okay, so I jacked up the good and evil square counts just for large regions, just a little bit below the max so I could get some neutral areas, and this came out. http://i.imgur.com/bp5DgUe.jpg No humans at all, just one little dwarf civ and volcanoes everywhere (as intended). If anyone wants it I can put the world gen for it on pastebin, I think it's too long to put here with the volcano map from perfectworlddf.

EDIT: Uploaded anyway, so people can check it out if they want. http://pastebin.com/5D6xc7r0
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 04:31:22 pm by Spacebat »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 [50] 51 52 ... 62