Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 285109 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #765 on: September 19, 2013, 12:05:36 pm »

Hellooooo, worldgenners!

Hokay, I'm looking for a fun world. Not ‼fun‼, though, unless I start playing with artificial magma waterfalls...

Anyway. I want a 3x3 embark, heavily forested, too warm to freeze, with a maxed-out major river (IMPORTANT) slicing it in half, completely straight and its surface at least 20 Urists below the rest of the embark, 30+ absolutely glorious. Ideally I'd like both non-river 1x3/3x1 sections to be completely flat. Waterfalls are fun but bad for my FPS, so I'll make my own.

Please and thank you!

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: September 19, 2013, 12:35:02 pm »

Merendel, these are the settings I'm using for World Gen:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Results in a small world dominated by hot, low rainfall, high drainage terrifying biomes (so, lots of badlands).  After that, it's just a matter of searching for aquifer, very deep soil, no clay, and hoping for reanimating.

Thanks I'll give it a try.  one I was useing before dominated with colder climates and I'm not really good enough with advanced gen to do enough tweeks to fix that without haveing an infinate reject loop.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: September 19, 2013, 01:28:00 pm »

Hellooooo, worldgenners!

Hokay, I'm looking for a fun world. Not ‼fun‼, though, unless I start playing with artificial magma waterfalls...

Anyway. I want a 3x3 embark, heavily forested, too warm to freeze, with a maxed-out major river (IMPORTANT) slicing it in half, completely straight and its surface at least 20 Urists below the rest of the embark, 30+ absolutely glorious. Ideally I'd like both non-river 1x3/3x1 sections to be completely flat. Waterfalls are fun but bad for my FPS, so I'll make my own.

Please and thank you!
Have a look at this one, Lielac, in particular, bronzestars.  If that's close to what you want, let me know and we'll find one exact.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: September 19, 2013, 03:00:54 pm »

Hellooooo, worldgenners!

Please and thank you!
Have a look at this one, Lielac, in particular, bronzestars.  If that's close to what you want, let me know and we'll find one exact.

This embark location, on top of Bronzestars' location, is nearly poifect (other than the waterfall and aquifer waterfall, one of which is pretty easy to fix and the other really annoying because it is less easy to fix)

Spoiler: It's a giiiiif (click to show/hide)

Except that the southern half of the embark is hill heaven. I wouldn't even mind that if I was embarked on the other side, but as it is I have to either make a bridge (which I was planning on doing anyway, thus the request for the awesome cliffs, but not until I have enough dwarves and infrastructure to make it 11 Urists wide and maybe move my whole fortress into the canyon air instead of walls) or dig down and then up again and mess up the aesthetics of the place.

Hmmmmm. On the one hand, ew those southern hills. On the other... limestone. And visible limonite and lignite. And according to the prospect report from the original embark magnetite, although I knocked the mineral scarcity down to 300 and all I see jutting out of the southern hills is bauxite blobs, which are cool and all because red is Armok's second favorite color (the favorite being adamantine cyan) but magnetiiiiite. And I don't have DFHack on this copy to see for myself...

Nyehhhh. I don't like the look of the aquifer waterfall, my FPS is taking it badly and it's not something you can dam unlike the stream. I'm entirely willing to drop the forested requirements in exchange for no aquifer waterfall; I'm too reliant on free deforestation opportunities as it is.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: September 19, 2013, 04:09:36 pm »

Why not disable the aquifer entirely?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: September 19, 2013, 10:34:00 pm »

Ok, I'll do my best to find one without the aquifer/waterfall.  It might be impossible almost impossible, given the need to have two intersecting rivers to generate most cliffs, but I'll give it a whirl.  Should have something in the morning.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: September 20, 2013, 01:10:10 pm »

Ok, try this one, Lielac.
Spoiler: flyarches worldgen (click to show/hide)
There's a bunch of +20Z cliffs in this world, on the major rivers north of the central mountain, but this embark location is the best I've found, so far.  The aquifer is not a waterfall, and does not cover the entire embark.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: September 21, 2013, 09:15:34 pm »

Also found this embark, if anyone is interested..
Yes, that's a 43Z maxxed-major-river canyon sheer cliff in a 2x3 embark. :P  No natural waterfalls.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: September 21, 2013, 09:27:11 pm »

OK, where did you find that? share the goodies, that looks amazing to work with.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: September 21, 2013, 09:53:59 pm »

Ok, first, for lielac, I think I found an exact match to your request...
Take a look at this stonesense screenshot and let me know if that's what you wanted.

And here's the details for the s-curve 43Z world/embark:
Yes, it takes a long time to gen, I was trying my best to get very deep rivers.  :D

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: September 21, 2013, 11:53:13 pm »

Ok, first, for lielac, I think I found an exact match to your request...
Take a look at this stonesense screenshot and let me know if that's what you wanted.

And here's the details for the s-curve 43Z world/embark:
Yes, it takes a long time to gen, I was trying my best to get very deep rivers.  :D

YES THAT STONESENSE IS PERFECT

Sorry about going radio-dead for a couple days in here, RL bit me in the ass. But yes, vjek. PERFECT EMBARK IS PERFECT THANK YOU

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: September 22, 2013, 09:12:18 am »

Sorry about going radio-dead for a couple days in here, RL bit me in the ass. But yes, vjek. PERFECT EMBARK IS PERFECT THANK YOU
Ok, good to hear!

So, that's the good news.  The bad news is, it's in the same world as the 43Z S-curve, so it will take a long time to generate the world.  :-\  But at least it's there!
Also, the aquifer does not create a waterfall, and doesn't cover the entirety of either side, so trivial to work around.
There is iron, but no flux.
I'm working on trying to find a similar location in a smaller world, but it seems to get these really deep canyons you need a large world for the river to run far enough/long enough and/or combine with another major river to get the required steepness.  If I find a smaller world with a 20+Z canyon meeting your requirements, though, I'll post it.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: September 22, 2013, 06:03:17 pm »

Ok, good to hear!

So, that's the good news.  The bad news is, it's in the same world as the 43Z S-curve, so it will take a long time to generate the world.  :-\  But at least it's there!
Also, the aquifer does not create a waterfall, and doesn't cover the entirety of either side, so trivial to work around.
There is iron, but no flux.
I'm working on trying to find a similar location in a smaller world, but it seems to get these really deep canyons you need a large world for the river to run far enough/long enough and/or combine with another major river to get the required steepness.  If I find a smaller world with a 20+Z canyon meeting your requirements, though, I'll post it.

Thank you, you wonderful person you! :D

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: September 30, 2013, 11:22:49 am »

I just found out that adding reactions in the entity file changes the outcome of history - even if it are dummy reactions with no product.
I mean I could understand a different outcome from history if a civ gets access to e.g. steel. As this changes its powerlevel and that basically can change the cause of history.
[EDIT] Just tested changing the output of a reaction does NOT affect worldgen. Forget this. It changes history. It was just a coincidence that a tower spawned really close where it used to be. [/EDIT]

This appears to only affect history and not the landscape.
However I think it would be possible that other changes to the raw files change the outcome of worldgen to a larger or lesser degree. E.g. adding a low-boiling mineral for an "inhaled syndrome by workshop reaction" could very likely change the landscape generation.
This could be an explanation for some of the "not reproducible worlds" posted here in this thread.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 11:30:25 am by SeelenJägerTee »

exdeathbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: October 08, 2013, 11:58:57 am »

ONE IDEA.
Lets try to create a collective parameter.

Lets start with size
surveymonkey.com/s/CSJKKB8

1 means I hate it and 5 means I love it. Vote how much you like every choice.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 62