Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 283590 times)

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #780 on: October 08, 2013, 07:23:55 pm »

ONE IDEA.
Lets try to create a collective parameter.

Lets start with size
surveymonkey.com/s/CSJKKB8

1 means I hate it and 5 means I love it. Vote how much you like every choice.
Umm... no.

All such a thing would do would be disincline those who prefer other sizes from the one voted on to share their worlds, defeating the purpose of this thread (IMO).

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: October 09, 2013, 04:30:37 pm »

Does anyone know a good temperature where dwarfs will eventually start dying on the surface after about a minute from freezing to death, but will be safe indoors? I managed to get a sweetspot a few versions ago but can no longer remember it. The concept of some dwarfs living in a frozen wasteland, hiding inside just appeals to me for some reason.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: October 09, 2013, 04:56:20 pm »

Does anyone know a good temperature where dwarfs will eventually start dying on the surface after about a minute from freezing to death, but will be safe indoors? I managed to get a sweetspot a few versions ago but can no longer remember it. The concept of some dwarfs living in a frozen wasteland, hiding inside just appeals to me for some reason.
In advanced worldgen, if you set the min and max temp to -80, I think you'll get close.  The world will still have a temperature gradient from north to south, but in there, you should find what you're looking for. 
If you go below -80 (say -81 to -85) you'll find more lethal environments where wood/barrels are damaged on embark, for example.

exdeathbr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: October 12, 2013, 11:08:36 am »

ONE IDEA.
Lets try to create a collective parameter.

Lets start with size
surveymonkey.com/s/CSJKKB8

1 means I hate it and 5 means I love it. Vote how much you like every choice.
Umm... no.

All such a thing would do would be disincline those who prefer other sizes from the one voted on to share their worlds, defeating the purpose of this thread (IMO).

Yeah, I get it.
If that is a problem , then, we could just start with other parts of the paremeter and then do the world size as the last thing.
If someone hate the selected size selected by votes on the last pool, he can just skip it use his own, with all the other parts of the world parameter (that were selected by votes)

Legionaries

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: October 12, 2013, 12:57:10 pm »

Also found this embark, if anyone is interested..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes, that's a 43Z maxxed-major-river canyon sheer cliff in a 2x3 embark. :P  No natural waterfalls.

Wow...  I didn't think I wanted that kind of map... but the image makes me want to try it.
The only issue I have right now is that I have some strange bug where a dwarf enters a mood, gathers all the required materials and then goes insane.

Must decide if I'm going to figure out what is causing this, flush my install and redownload, or wait for this next release...

AzeTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: October 13, 2013, 11:52:32 pm »

Hopefully one of you worldgen masters could help me in my quest for a scenic embark.

I'm looking for:
 -Small world.
 -An embark with no major impediments to working outside (goblin sieges are fine, I just don't want lethal rain).
 -No running water on the embark.
 -No aquifer.
 -High mineral occurence.
 -Major elevation variation.  Ideally about 3/4 of the embark would be mountainous with the final quarter relatively flat. (This is the most important.)
 -Ideally heavily forested and green, but this is not critical.
 -Ideally within 6x6 embark area, although I'm willing to go as high as 8x8.

Advance thanks to anyone who helps. :)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: October 14, 2013, 12:25:52 pm »

Hopefully one of you worldgen masters could help me in my quest for a scenic embark.

I'm looking for:
 -Small world.
 -An embark with no major impediments to working outside (goblin sieges are fine, I just don't want lethal rain).
 -No running water on the embark.
 -No aquifer.
 -High mineral occurence.
 -Major elevation variation.  Ideally about 3/4 of the embark would be mountainous with the final quarter relatively flat. (This is the most important.)
 -Ideally heavily forested and green, but this is not critical.
 -Ideally within 6x6 embark area, although I'm willing to go as high as 8x8.

Advance thanks to anyone who helps. :)
I can find all of this in as small as a 3x3.  Do you need the 6x6 for a specific reason, or is smaller ok?
Also, do you want coal/iron-bearing-ore/flux or does that not matter?

AzeTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: October 14, 2013, 02:12:53 pm »

I can find all of this in as small as a 3x3.  Do you need the 6x6 for a specific reason, or is smaller ok?
Also, do you want coal/iron-bearing-ore/flux or does that not matter?
The only reason I was looking for a larger embark is for better terrain.  Ideally the areas that are mountainous would have multiple hills.  I assumed that to get the size and number of hills that I want I would need a larger embark, but if you can make it smaller thats fine.  Flux and ore is nice, but great terrain is more important.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: October 14, 2013, 03:43:51 pm »

How about this?  Is that kind of what you're looking for, AzeTheGreat?

EDIT: That's 249 max Z level, 149 embark level. (100Z levels of elelvation above ground)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 03:47:27 pm by vjek »

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: October 14, 2013, 06:17:01 pm »

Hmmm... That map you linked looks like three cotton candy cones stuck upside down. Please tell me that each of 'em in your picture also have huge fluffy mounds of cotton candy directly beneath them only a few Z levels away....

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: October 14, 2013, 06:24:36 pm »

Hmmm... That map you linked looks like three cotton candy cones stuck upside down. Please tell me that each of 'em in your picture also have huge fluffy mounds of cotton candy directly beneath them only a few Z levels away....
Sadly no.  Two short (mostly)hollow spires 42-Z below embark level. :|  1369 cotton candy tiles, total.

AzeTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: October 14, 2013, 06:28:25 pm »

EDIT: That's 249 max Z level, 149 embark level. (100Z levels of elelvation above ground)
Wow...
I didn't think that was even remotely possible.  Nothing like that at all.  I'm looking for something much more natural looking.  The mountain on the far right is more what I was aiming for, you know, something that could plausibly exist.  The uniformity between those peaks is quite striking however.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: October 14, 2013, 10:23:01 pm »

Wow...
I didn't think that was even remotely possible.  Nothing like that at all.  I'm looking for something much more natural looking.  The mountain on the far right is more what I was aiming for, you know, something that could plausibly exist.  The uniformity between those peaks is quite striking however.
Ok, I'll find something with less vertical.  Most people like the extremes, so that's what I was going for, but no problem at all, less extreme is easier!  :D

AzeTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 14, 2013, 11:42:40 pm »

Ok, I'll find something with less vertical.  Most people like the extremes, so that's what I was going for, but no problem at all, less extreme is easier!  :D
Thanks.  I totally understand the extreme thing; I just think (especially in this case) it looks fairly ridiculous.  Don't rush since I won't be playing until next weekend at the earliest (why is break already over?), and more likely the weekend after that (*shakes fist at soccer taking away DF time*).

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 15, 2013, 02:10:38 am »

That's Beautiful!

Magnificent even!!!
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 62