Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 285219 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #795 on: October 15, 2013, 09:36:07 am »

How about this?  Is that kind of what you're looking for, AzeTheGreat?

EDIT: That's 249 max Z level, 149 embark level. (100Z levels of elelvation above ground)
That's Beautiful!

Magnificent even!!!
Here's the embark/worldgen details:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You can make the embark smaller (3x3) if you remove the northernmost row from the embark selection.  It'll still have the three spike mountains.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 15, 2013, 10:11:59 am »

Thank you vjek!

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #797 on: October 15, 2013, 11:07:06 am »

Hm, i'll guess I am going asking for something too. This may can be tricky one...

Zoned world. Imagine something like part from large circle or perhaps from large crater. "Outer" should be very cold, inner very hot. Somewhere center of map should be mountain range. At colder side of these ranges should be frozen ocean and some landmass. Towards hotter there should be first swamp, then lots of volcanic plains. After that wastelands, ending with evil biomes at other end. Good biomes either should not exist or are somewhere with colder areas. Size of world don't matter much, as long those all fits into it.

Yes, tricky one. Probably nothing can live in there, which may mean many rejections. However I need demand quite much for zero rejections. Okay, at least no rejections because of not possible putting on civizations. Going with tough custom creature. Landscape rejections are okay because custom creatures probably won't affect it. Ah, also planning start at Dawn of Time.

In other words biomes like this, in order from edge to edge:
-Freezing wastelands. Bonus if most minerals comes from there. Another bonus if haunting.
-Frozen sea and beach. Bonus if most good biomes are with this.
-Mountain range, probably very sharp and unfriendly one. Cold too.
-Swamp and wetlands. Livable area, in theory anyway.
-Volcanic wastelands or at least zone where most volcanos are.
-Wastelands.
-Evil wastelands.
-Kittens.

Hopefully nobody goes insane with this ^^

AzeTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: October 15, 2013, 11:54:54 am »

I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that temperature was a gradient from one side to the other.  If true, this would make surrounding cold very difficult. (Again, I'm probably wrong).

Grey Goo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Metallic
« Reply #799 on: October 15, 2013, 04:47:12 pm »

I am happy if one edge (bottom or top, no matter) is cold and other is hot. So, yes, gradient, probably? Kind of slice from something larger, yessshhh...

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: October 15, 2013, 06:50:12 pm »

My request: Lots of ores, gems and flux, high savegrey and magma, forest, and a river.

ordenrahl

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: October 16, 2013, 10:34:48 pm »

Hi there,

I checked the OP to see if there were any instructions on how to use these seeds,  but I didn't see anything there.

I understand that you can go into advance parameters to type in the seed code line, but is that all you need to do?  Do I need to go through each line of the world gen file and try and enter in the information on my parameters?

Thanks,

Found the worldgen file in the data/init folder.  Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:54:40 pm by ordenrahl »

chris_strain

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: October 27, 2013, 10:50:39 am »

About a week ago I got a, for me, rare result of one of the dwarf civs at war with the elves. Sadly the world itself is crap. SO I Was wondering if anyone had any saved gens that led to wars. I don't care if it's elves or humans, so long as there's a war.

As a side project.. I'm not sure if using the same history seed on a different gen will still result in the same war but I intend to test tonight. :)

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 13, 2013, 09:45:17 pm »

I've been working on making a Dune/Dark Sun-like world (as in, Arrakis from the book Dune or Athas from Dark Sun). As little metals as possible, virtually no water anywhere. Obviously with trees then being rare elves will be either overrun or hard to find, leaving the world mostly full of humans, goblins, and dwarves - in that order of frequency. I might change elves so they live in caves as well as tree cities, to compensate.

However I'm not having much luck. I can't seem to get it to produce something with mostly desert and very few rivers/lakes/oceans. Even when I set the desired river sources to something low like 5 it just rejects every nearly-right map in favor of those with a lot more rain than what I'm after. And no matter what there's metal everywhere. Every human city has combat-professioned people wearing metal and using it for weapons. I can't seem to make that a rare thing.

Ideally the end result is a game where obsidian swords are the best melee weapons most people ever see (meaning I've got to mod picks to make them constructable out of non-metals), and wars take place for the right to settle near some water. Not even sure if that's possible, but it's what I'm after.

Assistance would be appreciated.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 14, 2013, 12:39:43 am »

Getting a world that's mostly desert with dwarves, humans, and goblins is trivial.

Having elves in there as well, that's exceedingly difficult without manually painting rainfall and drainage.  Are elves a must-have, or optional?

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 14, 2013, 01:12:28 am »

I only care that there is at least one dwarf civilization (duh), there are hardly any (or no) metals, and nearly the whole place is a barren wasteland.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 14, 2013, 07:19:02 am »

Specifying extremely low rainfall (minimum zero, maximum zero e.g.) helps somewhat; i allowed 0-1 rain and 95-100 drainage, and got nothing more luxurious than savanna, more than half of the world was rocky wasteland, no rivers were found anywhere. There were still oceans and most of the world still had aquifer. You'll have to nullify most "minimum xxx-yyy square" (medium-rainfall, low-drainage etc.) counts and minimum river starting positions. You could also try switching off orographic effects.

Setting mineral scarcity extremely high helps in getting fewer metals provided in the ground, but civ units will still be equipped with metal. AFAIK kobolds and goblins get random metals regardless of what materials are available in their settlement areas, humans and dwarfs are limited somewhat by ores found in areas they control, but they get automatic access to all alloys they know to make - bronze for humans, dwarfs also get bismuth bronze and steel. A proper no- or low-metal world would probably require heavy modding.
Extreme mineral scarcity also massively reduces the frequency of gems and uncommon minerals, which makes digging quite uninteresting.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 14, 2013, 10:17:58 am »

I only care that there is at least one dwarf civilization (duh), there are hardly any (or no) metals, and nearly the whole place is a barren wasteland.
Give this one a try.  It may not be exact, but let me know if it's getting close..
Spoiler: worldgen (click to show/hide)

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 14, 2013, 07:29:36 pm »

Larix, I did try a few of the things you suggest, but ran into nothing but rejections. I'm not sure if I tried all of your suggestions together though, I could probably have been more scientific about it. I never tried turning off orthographic projections though.

Thanks for the note on metals. It should be enough for metals to be rare on embark - if I want to approximate a full-on Dark Sun world I can mod the critters and metals. The only annoying thing about that is keeping separate raws just for that type of world. Is there a rawset manager somewhere that helps you switch between one set and another?

Vjek, thanks a lot I'll give that a shot soon!

NSlasher

• Escaped Lunatic
  • We dont NEED to go deeper, but we will regardless.
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 16, 2013, 03:09:32 am »

Hey there im new on the forums, nice to meet yall. Now to the point...

I had that vision for a fort but i cant seem to find the embark i need for it. Heres roughly how im seeing things: a fort made entirely out of glass and id like some war leopards guarding it and other beasts (my first idea was giants scorpions but it looks like you cant train those). So here a list of what im looking for:
Embark size: 4x4
Biome: Desert
Volcano: Yes
Clay: Dont care/Doesnt matter
Aquifer:Dont care/Doesnt matter
Evil?: No
River/brook:Dont care/Doesnt matter
Trees:Dont care/Doesnt matter
Oher vegetation:Dont care/Doesnt matter
Savagery: High as hell
Temperature: Hot (i can live with scorching but id rather not if possible)
Minerals: I only need iron.
Flux Stone: Yes
Gems: Anything will do just dont leave me gemless.

I think thats covers about everything. Its probly not even that hard to gen but im a scrub when it comes to the advanced world gen, i always get like 10k rejects, i might be doing something very wrong lol. Thx in advance.
[insert sig here]
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 62