Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 286327 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2012, 12:57:04 pm »

I've tried a lot to get my ideal generation: A good volcano (of any degree, although i'd prefer Mirthful or Joyous Wilds), with some fresh water source (preferably a large river or even a lake), with either clay/sand, flux, and shallow+deep metals. I've always been short one factor; i'm not sure if anyone else would have a better chance at getting me this kind of generation. I have about 7x7 or 49 tiles to work with for decent FPS constraints.

If anyone can help me out, that'd be great, but I can understand that this is a bit of a demanding generation.

Here you go.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

NotErich

• Bay Watcher
  • The Judge of Paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 21, 2012, 06:36:57 pm »

Here you go.

Thank you, very much. That's really great.

NotErich

• Bay Watcher
  • The Judge of Paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2012, 06:09:59 pm »

What exactly does "No controllable entity definitions available" imply?

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2012, 12:29:46 pm »

I've tried a lot to get my ideal generation: A good volcano (of any degree, although i'd prefer Mirthful or Joyous Wilds), with some fresh water source (preferably a large river or even a lake), with either clay/sand, flux, and shallow+deep metals. I've always been short one factor; i'm not sure if anyone else would have a better chance at getting me this kind of generation. I have about 7x7 or 49 tiles to work with for decent FPS constraints.

If anyone can help me out, that'd be great, but I can understand that this is a bit of a demanding generation.

Here you go.

I just generated this is 34.07 and it created a world that looks nothing like the one in the picture.  I am not sure what I may be doing wrong.  I put the WorldGen in the WorldGen file and then ran the game.  Did I need to edit other files?

I also then took your saved files, and embarked using them.  When I ran prospect, I didn't get close to the same results.  I double-checked that I embarked at the location you show.  Everything matches, but the prospect results are vastly different.

Thanks,
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:51:14 pm by Major SNAFU »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2012, 01:17:53 pm »

I used his save and got his prospect results.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2012, 01:20:39 pm »

Can anyone offer suggestions for settings to generate the following:

Volcano
soil
clay
flux
Iron (of some kind)
silver or Gold.

I have been messing about with Perfect World and the WorldGen settings, and I have developed some beautiful embarks that look good on the site finder, only to find that there is no iron-bearing veins anywhere on the map, and I use 5x5 or some dimension so that the # of tiles is <= 30.  But I cannot seem to come up with a winning combination.

Also, what can be done to reduce the amount of time spent testing embarks?

Is there a way to speed up the process of embark and prospect?  What I am doing now is saving the each region just after generation and again right after I select a site.  I store these separate and then reload/copy as needed to get back to where I was.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2012, 01:37:32 pm »

You can use prospect to test a potential site before you embark.  It only lists what can be found in the biome you have selected so you have to do it for each one on your contemplated site.  Don't forget to type "prospect all" instead of just "prospect", or you won't see everything.

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2012, 01:46:09 pm »

I used his save and got his prospect results.

So here is what I am doing:

Place the poster's region data into a new regions folder, say region12, in my save folder.
Run DF
Find the identical location as is noted by the poster, then expand it to a 4x4 region.
Embark

Run Prospect and this is what I see:  (well, not really as I don't know how to post images of screenshots onto this forum.)

But it bears no resemblance at all.  There is almost nothing on the prospect screen.  The original layer materials is listed as over 1 million total, mine shows a total of less than 9000, just to give you an idea of the enormity of the difference.

OMG - I am an idiot.  Sorry for the post of this erroneous information.  face-palm big time.....

« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:49:21 pm by Major SNAFU »

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2012, 01:50:50 pm »

*giggle*  It's okay.  Just go look at your dining room set and you'll be fine.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2012, 03:52:56 pm »

Volcano
soil
clay
flux
Iron (of some kind)
silver or Gold.

Are you still looking for an embark with ALL of these, in a 4x4, Major SNAFU?
Any requirements for races in the world, good/evil, savagery, trees, elevation, water source, necromancers, world age, predominant biomes (badlands <-> swamps) and so on? 
Or just what is under the ground?

NotErich

• Bay Watcher
  • The Judge of Paradise
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2012, 03:58:32 pm »

I have a challenge for y'all:

A volcano with flux, with a lake biome, a sandy desert biome, and some moderately tree-bearing biome. Good aligned, although I could easily fix this myself. I'd prefer it to be a moderately sized world, so I can interact with some civilizations, but I can understand larger worlds take longer to generate, and are harder to isolate the right embark.

I myself have become very close to attaining this with PerfectWorldDF, but i'm always missing one variable.

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2012, 06:31:20 pm »

I did.  It is covered with Arkham Horror and 2nd Edition AD&D material.  Strangely I do feel much better.

Major SNAFU

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2012, 06:34:32 pm »

Volcano
soil
clay
flux
Iron (of some kind)
silver or Gold.

Are you still looking for an embark with ALL of these, in a 4x4, Major SNAFU?
Any requirements for races in the world, good/evil, savagery, trees, elevation, water source, necromancers, world age, predominant biomes (badlands <-> swamps) and so on? 
Or just what is under the ground?

So I confess that what I play DF for (mostly) is the SimCity aspect.  I turn invaders off, etc.

I am just reaching the point where I think I might be interested in turning invaders on after a 4-5 years and seeing what happens.  I have yet to do anything that looks remotely competent with the military screens, organization and I have no plans to fiddle with burrows.

I mostly want all of the goodies to build and experiment as I feel like it.  At some point I will probably grow past this and want to try one of these mind-boggling hard embarks that I read about - but for now that is simply too much *fun* for me.

So yes,  all of those in a 4x4 or 5x5.  I don't care if it is terrifying, happy, etc, etc.  I would prefer lots of trees, but I can work my way around that in other ways.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2012, 11:57:44 pm »

... So I confess that what I play DF for (mostly) is the SimCity aspect.  I turn invaders off, etc.

I am just reaching the point where I think I might be interested in turning invaders on after a 4-5 years and seeing what happens.  I have yet to do anything that looks remotely competent with the military screens, organization and I have no plans to fiddle with burrows.

I mostly want all of the goodies to build and experiment as I feel like it.  At some point I will probably grow past this and want to try one of these mind-boggling hard embarks that I read about - but for now that is simply too much *fun* for me.

So yes,  all of those in a 4x4 or 5x5.  I don't care if it is terrifying, happy, etc, etc.  I would prefer lots of trees, but I can work my way around that in other ways.

Ok, this should do the trick...

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2012, 03:01:57 pm »

I did.  It is covered with Arkham Horror and 2nd Edition AD&D material.  Strangely I do feel much better.
Never saw any of the Arkham Horror material, but I often had piles of 2nd Edition AD&D materials in the floor next to my chair until I closed my NWN PW.  It is very comforting.

The site under discussion has one flaw.  That big river begins to go stagnant by the second spring.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 62