Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 284816 times)

KoffeeKup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #330 on: September 28, 2012, 05:27:32 pm »

I like worlds with a lot less ocean and a lot more land. Something like Pangaea, lots of connected land mass surrounded by water. I was thinking of changing the range of elevation to make more land above sea level but are there any other ways I could get more land to walk around on? You can't really build a fortress in the middle of the salty deep, and we don't have boats yet.
...and as all life ends
As elves and trees burn,As goblins are butchered
As humans are slaughtered,As the legions of hell lay waste to the world
Knock back a few drinks and tell yourself:T'was fun while it lasted-The writing on the Adamantine hatch to hell in Gemclod, Armok rest their valiant souls.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 28, 2012, 05:38:14 pm »

In advance worldgen params, turn minimum oceans and partial oceans to 0. You'll still end up with 1 or 2, but they will be a great deal smaller.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

KoffeeKup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: September 28, 2012, 06:48:35 pm »

Doesn't work, I just got an infinite number of rejected worlds, unless I can expect the number of rejected worlds to be in the thousands before its done.

...and as all life ends
As elves and trees burn,As goblins are butchered
As humans are slaughtered,As the legions of hell lay waste to the world
Knock back a few drinks and tell yourself:T'was fun while it lasted-The writing on the Adamantine hatch to hell in Gemclod, Armok rest their valiant souls.

AndreaReina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 29, 2012, 07:23:19 am »

Doesn't work, I just got an infinite number of rejected worlds, unless I can expect the number of rejected worlds to be in the thousands before its done.

Are you sure you didn't mess with other settings? Simply setting minimum complete edge oceans and minimum partial edge oceans to 0 should result in fewer rejections. If you changed any other parameters (distribution/range of elevation, rainfall, drainage, volcanism, etc), then you should turn down the minimum biome count too (minimum initial wetland/hill/whatever tiles/regions).

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 29, 2012, 04:29:36 pm »

Are you sure you didn't mess with other settings? Simply setting minimum complete edge oceans and minimum partial edge oceans to 0 should result in fewer rejections. If you changed any other parameters (distribution/range of elevation, rainfall, drainage, volcanism, etc), then you should turn down the minimum biome count too (minimum initial wetland/hill/whatever tiles/regions).
Size is a factor too. The same set of parameters might go off on the first try with a 65x65 world, but give you infinite rejections on a 33x33. If you scale the world down you should scale down your other minimum factors as well.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

Exovian

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 30, 2012, 01:53:24 am »

Ok, I have an odd request. I'm looking for a Joyous Wilds area with a river, shallow and deep metals, and limestone. No other type of flux will work, as I'm looking for malachite, preferably lots of it. Thanks!

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 30, 2012, 01:46:45 pm »

I've been fiddling with the advanced worldgen parameters for a while, and have finally made a map with an embark that's got just about everything I want!  It's got a flat volcano, flux, and 12k iron.  It'll also let you churn out bronze (~9k each of tetrahedrite and cassiterite), and precious metal goods (20+k gold and 11+k galena).  It's got just over 3k adamantium.  Both sand and fire clay.  The embark spans both joyous wilds and terrifying, giving you access to both sun berries and sliver barbs, as well as an extra heaping of fun.  There are aquifers for miscellaneous hydro projects, but they don't cover the whole map, giving easy access to the deeper layers.  Although there's no source of coal for super-easy steel, the area is well supplied with trees, with over 1000 of them on the surface.  Neighbors include not only elves, humans and goblins (who are already at war), but also two different necromancer towers.  I built this world with the hope of building some sweet above ground cast-obsidian megaprojects, so there are a little over 60 above ground layers to play around in.

I'm about to start my fort on this embark, but the only real drawback I can see so far is that iron anvils are sadly not available.  Be a real dwarf, and use steel.  Otherwise, kick some ass.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 04, 2012, 07:43:38 am »

After playing with a few settings (and editing the RAWS to make this possible) I have spawned quite a FUN world. I wanted to play around with capturing, taming, and breeding megabeasts, so dragons, hydras and rocs were made to lay eggs and have children. I also wanted a pretty little evil area to make a home in, preferably with some Fun weather, because who doesn't like blood rain and thralling clouds?

Bumped up the evil/good areas, played with savagery and volcanism, and tried to increase the amount of evil rain/dust/cloud, as well as made there be many more megabeasts and titans than usual (need breeding pairs of megabeasts, and they like to get themselves killed, the more there are the less they die).

Anyways, after checking legends, I find this list of beasties:

Now, I haven't quite embarked yet on this map (the ones I've tried got wiped out by zombies very quickly) so I've just selected a random site for a screenshot of the world.

That spot that is selected has sand, marble, around 1k platinum and 7.5k candy for ores, and various rare gems. Nothing else of note there, so I'm gonna embark elsewhere.

I would post the seed, but I'm at a loss for how to extract that data for you guys. I know its somewhere in this thread or forum, but I'm tired and can't think of where it was. I'll post it if anyone would be interested, and someone tells me how to get it.

Keep in mind, you might need to change your raws to what I have:

DNK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 04, 2012, 09:38:01 pm »

One things I'm having problems with is generating road networks. For a small region, I've set:
sitecap = 35
civ# = 15
endyear = 250

But usually I get no roads, or perhaps just one, which gives me limited choice in terrain if I want to embark on one.

Any advice? Are there things that make roads more/less common?

arkhometha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 05, 2012, 02:24:38 am »

What does the Number of Secret Types actually does? I read the wiki but I don't know if I set it to 1 if I will only have a necromancer slab that will contain the secrets or if I set it to 5 the wolrd gen will generate 5 slabs, or if this is unrelated.

Steelweaver

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 08, 2012, 12:47:23 pm »

Can anyone share plz:
* Evil, very evil, zombie carp appreciated.
* Volcano
* Iron, flux
* Coal or trees
?

oh, and plaster plz.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 01:13:39 pm by Steelweaver »

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 08, 2012, 08:00:26 pm »

Can anyone share plz:
* Volcano
* Iron, flux
* Coal or trees
?

The site I posted has a terrifying corner, although much of the embark is joyous.  You could fiddle with the embark rectangle to get more terrifying and less joyous.  No zombie carp, although I have gotten a lot of undead crow men, undead moth men, and necromancer-led zombie sieges.  It has a volcano, iron, flux, and lots of trees.  Plus goblins (at war), humans, elves and dwarves to interact with.  Plus two necromancer towers.  No plaster, but you can certainly trade for it.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101280.msg3653608#msg3653608

Steelweaver

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 08, 2012, 11:24:00 pm »

Can anyone share plz:
* Volcano
* Iron, flux
* Coal or trees
?

The site I posted has a terrifying corner, although much of the embark is joyous.  You could fiddle with the embark rectangle to get more terrifying and less joyous.  No zombie carp, although I have gotten a lot of undead crow men, undead moth men, and necromancer-led zombie sieges.  It has a volcano, iron, flux, and lots of trees.  Plus goblins (at war), humans, elves and dwarves to interact with.  Plus two necromancer towers.  No plaster, but you can certainly trade for it.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101280.msg3653608#msg3653608

Thank you, i ll try it.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 16, 2012, 12:07:11 am »

Is there a way to simulate the non-advanced world generation in the advanced mode? I'm trying to make only some minor tweaks to the basic generation.

I'm loading the MEDIUM_REGION parameters, but I'm not sure how to achieve stuff like "Mineral Occurence: Sparse/Frequent" etc.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 19, 2012, 08:46:06 am »

Is there a way to simulate the non-advanced world generation in the advanced mode? I'm trying to make only some minor tweaks to the basic generation.

I'm loading the MEDIUM_REGION parameters, but I'm not sure how to achieve stuff like "Mineral Occurence: Sparse/Frequent" etc.

I believe there is a parameter called [MINERAL_SCARCITY:###]
The lower the parameter is set, the higher frequency of ores and minerals.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 62