Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 285163 times)

ke1evra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #375 on: November 09, 2012, 03:57:10 pm »

[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:100] Yeah, unfortunately it only affects above groung air levels (( Some one adviced me to set it to MAX, bc it would possibly force the game to create less undergroung levels - it didn't so I have 100 levels above and beyound the surface (200 in total)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 09, 2012, 04:01:14 pm »

[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:100] Yeah, unfortunately it only affects above groung air levels (( Some one adviced me to set it to MAX, bc it would possibly force the game to create less undergroung levels - it didn't so I have 100 levels above and beyound the surface (200 in total)
It shouldn't affect anything underground, and I'd hope it won't affect RNG for world building. If you like towers, you could keep it, otherwise I'd keep it low to reduce lag, maybe around 5ish, or 10ish if you like occasional surface apartment.

Sorry can't help you about the shallowing of the embark, other than to aim for shores/ocean, once you've made it as shallow as you can.

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 09, 2012, 04:12:48 pm »

Not sure if it will work but you could try messing around with erosion and elevation meshes. Never done it myself so I'm not quite sure how they work though.

I second the request though, there's a lot I would like to try using a map like this.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 09, 2012, 05:29:21 pm »

Regarding thin (very few Z-Levels) worlds.

These parameters:

[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
   [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:0]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
   [LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]

Will give you a world that is exactly 10 (ten) Z levels thick, on a flat embark with a single biome.  It goes air, embark level, soil, magma, bottom.  If you want a sample world, PM me. The ones I gen'd had 101 as the top, 91 as the bottom.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 17, 2012, 06:24:59 am »

Interesting, mildly challenging embark:
499 gen years will give you necro towers next to a volcano on a haunted biome. Fun fact: the dead walk.
Gold is litterally everywhere.
Didn't prospect, but with the amount of gold you can dig from z-2 alone, you can buy caravans easily if you want to.
Look for the left-most tower, then go up 2 squares and right 1 square.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 21, 2012, 11:37:48 am »

I am trying to generate worlds for Adventurer Mode and I am having trouble understanding what a few of the parameters mean.

I was wondering is there a way to increase the diversity of animals such as crabs and elephants? And increase their population size?

Thanks,
Snake_Eyes

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: November 21, 2012, 06:04:56 pm »

I am trying to generate worlds for Adventurer Mode and I am having trouble understanding what a few of the parameters mean.

I was wondering is there a way to increase the diversity of animals such as crabs and elephants? And increase their population size?

Thanks,
Snake_Eyes
Animals are placed according to their respective permitted biomes.  You can change that, but you may end up with gila monsters on a glacier, or polar bears in the desert.  You can make the world more suited to particular animals, or make animals more tolerant of a wider range of biomes.  Either is possible.

Temperate biomes have a wide range of creatures.  Warm, Hot, Cold, and Freezing have smaller numbers of creatures.

With respect to population, yes, you can increase frequency, population ratios, as well as birthing rates, when an animal is considered an adult, and so on.  Also, if you want to expand the range of "animals", Savage biomes permit GIANT creatures as well as animal _MEN creatures (so, for example, eagles, Giant Eagles, and Eagle Men).

All of these activities (outside of advanced worldgen) will require editing the raws, which means editing text files.  It's easy, just letting you know ahead of time what's involved.

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 21, 2012, 09:43:03 pm »

Thanks,
Snake_Eyes
Animals are placed according to their respective permitted biomes.  You can change that, but you may end up with gila monsters on a glacier, or polar bears in the desert.  You can make the world more suited to particular animals, or make animals more tolerant of a wider range of biomes.  Either is possible.

>I will go with a range of environments.

Temperate biomes have a wide range of creatures.  Warm, Hot, Cold, and Freezing have smaller numbers of creatures.

>Okay, Ill make sure I include more temperate weather.

With respect to population, yes, you can increase frequency, population ratios, as well as birthing rates, when an animal is considered an adult, and so on.  Also, if you want to expand the range of "animals", Savage biomes permit GIANT creatures as well as animal _MEN creatures (so, for example, eagles, Giant Eagles, and Eagle Men).

>I do not really know where to begin with things like birthing rates, at the moment I am just using the Adavanced World Parameters.

>Okay, Ill increase Savagery drastically, this is probably what I needed to do. :D

All of these activities (outside of advanced worldgen) will require editing the raws, which means editing text files.  It's easy, just letting you know ahead of time what's involved.

I am just stick with the Advanced Parameters, as I am just starting to learn Adventure Mode, and have yet to play Fortress Mode. I will endeavor to try to grasp the fundamentals of editing raws.

I think just increasing Savagery until I find nice amount of creatures should do.

Another question is it possible to generate worlds that use non standard metals for adventuring equipment? Things like Lead Mace, or Aluminum Spear? I noticed that starting Dwarf will get something like Bismuth Bronze Long Sword which is a bit different to the Humans, is there a way to find more of these uncommon items?

Does the age of the world affect the types of items as well as the quality of items I find in Adventure Mode?

If I change the amount of minerals available will it affect the items that I find in Adventure? Is there a way to make things like Lead, and Mithril as common building material as Copper or Iron? Does this have anything to do with "Mineral Scarcity"?

Thanks very much for your help,
:) Snake_Eyes

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: November 22, 2012, 01:00:14 am »

... Another question is it possible to generate worlds that use non standard metals for adventuring equipment? Things like Lead Mace, or Aluminum Spear? I noticed that starting Dwarf will get something like Bismuth Bronze Long Sword which is a bit different to the Humans, is there a way to find more of these uncommon items?

It's possible reducing the Mineral Scarcity to under 500 may cause this to be possible, but I can't say for certain.

Does the age of the world affect the types of items as well as the quality of items I find in Adventure Mode?

Probably not much change after 300 years or so.  After then, I would imagine things would level off, but that's some speculation on my part.

If I change the amount of minerals available will it affect the items that I find in Adventure? Is there a way to make things like Lead, and Mithril as common building material as Copper or Iron? Does this have anything to do with "Mineral Scarcity"?

If anything can affect it, Mineral Scarcity will.

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: November 22, 2012, 01:41:57 pm »

... Another question is it possible to generate worlds that use non standard metals for adventuring equipment? Things like Lead Mace, or Aluminum Spear? I noticed that starting Dwarf will get something like Bismuth Bronze Long Sword which is a bit different to the Humans, is there a way to find more of these uncommon items?

It's possible reducing the Mineral Scarcity to under 500 may cause this to be possible, but I can't say for certain.

>Ah okay, Ill try to generate a world with more minerals next time.

Probably not much change after 300 years or so.  After then, I would imagine things would level off, but that's some speculation on my part.

>I found that long histories have better dungeons, that was all I noticed with 2,000 year world generation, and an increase in masterwork items, but no rare materials.

If anything can affect it, Mineral Scarcity will.

Thanks very much for answering my questions, Ill try to generate a world with different mineral scarcities, and see what affect that has on item materials.

Tyvm,

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: November 23, 2012, 02:21:13 am »

Finally genned a world with a nice site

Three Biomes
  • Mountain | Warm | Wilderness
  • Temperate Freshwater Swamp | Warm | Untamed Wilds
  • Temperate Conifer Forest | Temperate | Untamed Wilds

Volcano

Brook

Plenty of resources (mineral scarcity set to 220) , plenty of wood, flux (chalk), lignite, coal, iron (6k hematite), copper (28k tetrahedrite), gold (5k), Lead and silver in the 15k galena and numerous other minerals scattered about. All neighbours (very close to an elven civ with a particularly amusing werecurse
)

Only things it lacks is sand, clay and gypsum really, but you can import sand and I've found rock crystal for some nice windows. No aquifier or evil/goodness either.

Seed:
Note: Seed is set to 25 years, feel free to bring it up a bit, I used this seed on year 300.

How to find:

Enjoy!

*EDIT I'd also like to ask if anyone finds an embark similar to this but maybe with added sand, clay, longer brook/stream/river and maybe a square or two of evil/good somewhere, it would be awesome if you would PM me the seed. Need to have high savagry.

I can't get this world to gen, did worldgen change from .01?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:13:17 pm by Nistenf »

Snake_Eyes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 27, 2012, 11:00:09 pm »

(Hope this link works)

I generated a world with a skull like feature at the center of the 257x129 (landscape) map.

The seed name parameter is DORF GOLD, but I do not know how to extract the rest of the parameters, but if anyone is interested I can type them out. As it occurred on the 16th reject.

As I have a terrain that I am happy with I have been trying to play around with other parameters such as civilization, rainfall, creature variety, savagery, good and evil. I am still trying to familiarize myself with Legends Mode, and the World Generation parameters.

Is there such a thing as a good Creature Seed, or History seed?

Thanks,
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 02:42:26 pm by Snake_Eyes »

Nistenf

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is a lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 28, 2012, 02:28:17 pm »

The link doesn't work. You should go to that link, right click the image, click "View Image" or the equivalent in your browser and then use the new url to post here

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: November 28, 2012, 05:05:36 pm »

There is a Creature Seed and a History Seed.
The history seed is the one that makes you get necro towers etc.
The Creature seed is the one used to gen titans etc.
There is no "good creature" seed.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Zombi

• Bay Watcher
  • Was too long. Sorry Urist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 28, 2012, 07:54:46 pm »

How do you get world gen seed for an existing world?
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 62