Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 283587 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #420 on: December 16, 2012, 02:56:26 am »

Thank you.  I wonder how many more years the history has to be, for it to turn into a WAR.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

nbp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 16, 2012, 10:15:57 am »

Sadly no, the Neighbors for that embark show as:
Dwarves
Goblins          --------
Elves
Humans

But I'm sure the Goblins will show up pretty quickly.

If you change just the history seed, you will generate the same physical world with settlements and civilizations playing out differently.  So you can fiddle around with that one parameter until you find a world where this physical site has the neighbors you want.  I'm sure if you run it a dozen times, you can find one where the goblins are at war with you, or you have three neighboring necromancer towers, or whatever you're looking for.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 18, 2012, 10:49:41 am »

Apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask this, but how does one go about changing the default world gen thing to the old, mostly land parameters?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 18, 2012, 10:59:27 am »

If you want mostly land, change  Minimum Elevation to 100, and set Minimum Partial Edge Oceans and Complete Edge Oceans both to None.

That should work.  If it doesn't, you may have to change all those "Square Count" and "Region Count" settings to None, as well.   In any case, try those first three settings and see if you get what you're looking for.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 18, 2012, 11:19:11 am »

Hmm, didn't get any rejections, but still got oceans.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 18, 2012, 11:36:37 am »

You also need to set "Minimum low-elevation squares" and all ocean-related biome settings (minimum initial square count, initial and final region count) to "none".

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 18, 2012, 01:27:00 pm »

To verify, I just took the default "Small Island" parameters, copied it, and modified the three fields as I mentioned, in the copy.  In version 34.11.

change  Minimum Elevation to 100, and set Minimum Partial Edge Oceans and Complete Edge Oceans both to None.

I got lakes, but no oceans.  I tried 10 different worlds, all similar.  Rivers and lakes, mountains, plains, forests, etc.  No oceans.

If you've done that, exactly, and are still getting oceans, please post your current worldgen, Chattox.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 19, 2012, 06:47:14 am »

Here we go, set minimum elevation to 100, minimum oceans to none, then changes the minimum ocean square counts to 0 also. I now have my perfect oceanless world :D Thanks guys.

Trigonous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 24, 2012, 03:28:59 pm »

Anybody else like river canyons?  I love river canyons.  Here comes a world with two very interesting river canyons (10+ z-levels of canyon), shit-tons of dragons and other megabeasts (in case you edited your raws to kick-start a dragon-breeding program), and one embark has two necromancer towers as neighbors.  Bring it!

EDIT:  I have disabled aquifers in my raws, and after regenning this world with orcs, beastmen, and ratmen, it seems both sites have aquifers (I had forgotten to disable them again).

NOTE:  I believe I stopped world-gen around the year 765-ish, in case that affects any megabeast numbers for you guys.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This first one is pretty sparse as far as vegetation goes, but it has the *ahem* interesting neighbors and a fair sampling of minerals (I actually embarked with the 4x4 moved one tile lower than in the picture below):

39k Marble
33k Tetrahedrite
15k Magnetite
74k Microcline.  All hail the blue fortress!

The second location has, IMO, much cooler cliffs.  There's a flat area in the south-east corner of the site that makes the cliffs look just that much cooler, and the rivers are 10 tiles wide on one and 4 on the other instead of just a measly 4 all around.  It doesn't, however, have any tower neighbors.  You can expect to get attacked by goblins, but that's about it.  You can also find a ton more trees to get your fortress up and running a little faster.  In this embark I also moved the 4x4 square one tile down:

87k Obsidian
52k Marble
37k Tetrahedrite
Only 5k Hematite
3k Native Gold

Embark locations, in the order they appear above:

I'm gonna try and regen with different civ layouts to see if I can get that second site with more interesting sieges.

EDIT:  After regenning this world with the Difficulty+ Plugin Races mod (everything but gnolls), that second embark has Orc, Dwarven, Beastmen, Goblin, Human, Elvish, and Necromancer neighbors.  The first embark loses both necromancer neighbors, but does gain orc and beastmen.  However, there are now even MORE dragons; one lair has an impressive 11 Dragon outcasts living in it!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 07:53:36 pm by Trigonous »
So of all the things you can do in DF, it's the fractal artifacts that make you think dwarves are crazy.

Never mind the magma falls, the atom smashers, the cog-and-axle turing-complete computers, or the colonizing of Hell itself... all those are fine, but man, those recursive artifacts! Where do they get such ideas?

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is this normal?
« Reply #429 on: December 27, 2012, 06:42:55 am »

Is it normal to have highly symmetric vulcanoes?

Spoiler: Top (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Middle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bottom (click to show/hide)

57-z high. 3x3 region squares at the base.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 06:44:27 am by DTF »
(a>b) ? false : true

daveralph1234

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Dwarf Fortress for it's complexity.
    • View Profile
Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #430 on: December 27, 2012, 09:45:47 am »

Is it normal to have highly symmetric vulcanoes?

Spoiler: Top (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Middle (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bottom (click to show/hide)

57-z high. 3x3 region squares at the base.

It's beautiful, I must have it! What are the resources like?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 27, 2012, 09:54:53 am »

It's as normal as anything is in DF.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #432 on: December 27, 2012, 10:16:39 am »

It's beautiful, I must have it! What are the resources like?

Hematite, Tetrahedrite, Marble. Nothing fancy, sadly.
Spoiler: World Gen (click to show/hide)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 27, 2012, 05:59:53 pm »

Is there sand, at least? I must have this embark, it's exactly what I want!

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 27, 2012, 06:35:14 pm »

Is there sand, at least? I must have this embark, it's exactly what I want!

No, no sand. But plenty of clay - maybe there's some sand hidden beneath some grass on the surface, but I doubt it. If anything, you can just cheat in a tile of sand with dfhack, couldnt you?
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 62