Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 286314 times)

lwCoyote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #495 on: March 14, 2013, 11:34:41 am »

Vjek> Thanks, I'll check that out. I gotta ask, how the heck did you get the mountains to form a perfect diamond in the middle? Also, I dont mind the odd lake or small river, so I'll poke that and see how it goes.

Im not sure how to use the data you provided (Aside from manually entering it in the game).. is there some way to save it and have the game use it from a text file of some sort?
This is an exceptional obsidian statue of Daral Darkscab.
The item is an exceptionally designed image of Daral Darkscab the dwarf and a slag bar (massive) in obsidian by Ksoth Lolorumril. Daral Darkscab is raising the slag bar (massive). The artwork relates to the masterful slag bar (massive) created by the dwarf Daral Darkscab for the Corridor of Matyrs at Monstergores in the late spring of 312.

I'm so glad my masons have chosen to memorialize the really important events.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 14, 2013, 12:23:05 pm »

Vjek> Thanks, I'll check that out. I gotta ask, how the heck did you get the mountains to form a perfect diamond in the middle? Also, I dont mind the odd lake or small river, so I'll poke that and see how it goes.

Im not sure how to use the data you provided (Aside from manually entering it in the game).. is there some way to save it and have the game use it from a text file of some sort?
The worldgen parameters are put into /data/init/world_gen.txt , just paste them in at the end of the file and then it will appear in the advanced worldgen menu as a choice, which you can use or edit.

As far as the diamond-mountains goes, it was just one of several that randomly appeared that way. :)

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 18, 2013, 11:14:56 am »

Not really looking for an embark, but for a world that consists, if possible, out of 1 big continent, with as many necromancer towers as possible.
Looking more for an adventure world, but as this is the world cookbook...
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 18, 2013, 11:47:13 am »

Not really looking for an embark, but for a world that consists, if possible, out of 1 big continent, with as many necromancer towers as possible.
Looking more for an adventure world, but as this is the world cookbook...
If this doesn't work, reply and we'll find something more to your liking.
This world is filled with human necromancers, and over 40 towers would be typically generated. Due to the nature of Necromancer discovery, the exact number isn't always predictable. Dwarves, Humans, and 75,000 goblins.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: March 18, 2013, 02:44:42 pm »

Thanks, will try!
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. Then it's Fun and Dwarf Fortress.
My trade depot is set to flood with water at the pull of a lever.  It's deep in the tunnels with easy drainage.  I call it my "water for goods" trading policy.

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: March 20, 2013, 01:17:51 am »

How do I identify sites that will have a temple from the embark screen? Are they only in mountains, evil regions?

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 20, 2013, 05:41:09 pm »

How do I identify sites that will have a temple from the embark screen? Are they only in mountains, evil regions?
There's one per embark map square irrc. That's the 16x16 area that you can select your embark from.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 20, 2013, 07:59:57 pm »

There's one per embark map square irrc. That's the 16x16 area that you can select your embark from.

is it randomly distributed within that 16x16 square?

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: March 20, 2013, 08:29:29 pm »

Afaik, yes, the clown fort can appear anywhere within that 16x16 square.

I just make 4 8x8 embarks, then narrow down the location a bit more until I have the right size embark I usually use.

Frelus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 21, 2013, 06:41:23 am »

I think he did not mean a clown fort, but something like the golden temple with a magma pool down below talked about in a thread recently.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 21, 2013, 10:10:26 am »

I think he did not mean a clown fort, but something like the golden temple with a magma pool down below talked about in a thread recently.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Oh, like a temple that has a titan or something in it?

No idea how to find one of those, unless you go through the world in adventure mode, discover the site, then remember where on the world map it is to embark on. That golden temple was, I think, in a human town iirc.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 21, 2013, 09:08:33 pm »

I'd like to start experimenting with some more advanced features. If anyone has a site with:

easy access [preferably above the first cavern layer] to as many raw resources as possible: ie metals of as many types as possible, heavily forested. flux stone.  Sand and clay would be optional

good water supply: lake or river

soil for farms.

A volcano

my prefered [ie its not nesseary, but it would be nice] sort of terrain would be:
three quarters of the map being a plain,
the other quarter would some hills I can build my fortress into. preferably with a few flat plateaus I can use for pastures or above ground construction

other more optional details
high savagery

sinister/aquifer: as long as these areas of the map are limited. I'd prefer safish access to a river or lake and if there is a hill I'd rather not have it be evil or an aquifer underneath. the aquifer would be to teach myself how to breach it, so the map would be useless if I can't find a way underneath it if I can't breach it. the evil is just encouragement to get myself more experienced with milatary matters, I'd rather not build my fort ontop of it.

temperature I guess doesnt matter that much as long as its not too extreme. I'm starting to get bored of warm though.

NB: I use a laptop so I'd prefer the map to be as small as possible. A waterfall may be interesting as long as it doesn't eat up the fps too much.

Obviously I know that getting all of this is almost impossible, but the closer the better, obviously. and of course if anyone has any other maps that they would recommend to someone who understands most of the basics but would like a smallish challenge with enough resources to be able to experiment without having to waste time digging down to or past the caverns they would be considered.

Daetrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 22, 2013, 07:42:09 am »

I'm looking for a world with an extinct Dwarven civ I can embark with.  Been trying to generate one without success (or can you not embark with an extinct civ anymore?).

Of course the very next world I generate has not one, but two.

Of course.

Edit edit:

Apparently I need all civs extinct to not get migrants?  I'll resubmit my need for a world where I can get no migrants!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 01:36:35 pm by Daetrin »
All you need to know about Ardentdikes
It is really, really easy to flood this place with magma fwiw.

Doors stop fire, right?

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 22, 2013, 10:45:30 am »

If anyone's interested, I just genned an incredible site on a pretty nice world.
Features:
-Goblins, elves, and humans as neighbors, but no tower.
-A brook with a small (3 z level I believe) natural waterfall.
-Ready access to wood, surface plants, and water (of course).
-Gold, kaolinite, sand, iron ore, tetrahedrite, and flux all on surface level.

If people sound interested, I'll get the prospector report and gen parameters.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

GiantBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 22, 2013, 11:52:59 am »

I'm interested :D.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 62