Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 285072 times)

Havvy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #630 on: May 20, 2013, 07:44:11 pm »

There you go Havvy.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7678

It has Phobos gfx because that is what I use but you can just switch out the raw folder and copy yours in.

Thanks.

I don't have a non-Linux computer to test this with, sorry. I know for a fact I'm looking at the right location. I've got that section of the map memorized better than I do my own city of residence. It is weird that we are having slightly different generations. I would expect larger variations myself. ...
Yep, no problem at all.  I just presumed that there would be no differences based on operating system.  I'm going to try a few other tests today and see if I can nail down if the slight differences are caused by the initial 29 rejections in that worldgen.  If that is the case, I'll come up with a new world with no rejections, and only provide rejection-free maps in the future or post with Windows-only caveats from now on.  It's good to know, just not very convenient for you, Havvy.  :P

Looks like some World Gen !!Science!! to be performed.

Chiral

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: May 21, 2013, 02:15:47 pm »

I don't have a non-Linux computer to test this with, sorry. I know for a fact I'm looking at the right location. I've got that section of the map memorized better than I do my own city of residence. It is weird that we are having slightly different generations. I would expect larger variations myself. ...
Yep, no problem at all.  I just presumed that there would be no differences based on operating system.  I'm going to try a few other tests today and see if I can nail down if the slight differences are caused by the initial 29 rejections in that worldgen.  If that is the case, I'll come up with a new world with no rejections, and only provide rejection-free maps in the future or post with Windows-only caveats from now on.  It's good to know, just not very convenient for you, Havvy.  :P

Looks like some World Gen !!Science!! to be performed.

Hi,
let me try a useful first post. I tried to gen the same map and got different results with the normal lazy newb pack and the advanced one. Both under Win7 on the same machine. The one that got me the right spot was the normal version.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 21, 2013, 10:07:53 pm »

Ok, so, some results for "Hoofbolt"

This worldgen and embark was generated with no rejections, on both Linux and Win7, with vanilla 34.11.  It produced identical worlds and embarks, down to a 2x2 river + volcano on a flat embark.
So, while not conclusive, it demonstrates it is possible the rejections are causing some issues, cross platform.

In any case, here's the info:
2x2 100% flat embark
temperate broadleaf forest biome, warm temperature
sand
clay
iron (1.4k magnetite)
flux (23k marble)
river on surface (not a brook!)
volcano on surface
Civs:
   69 Dwarves
   436 Elves
   10127 Goblins

Spoiler: hoofbolt (click to show/hide)

I'm going to keep looking for a similar style of embark closer to the original, but thought it was worth sharing this one.

EDIT: A second example, generates and embarks identically, on both Linux and Win7:

Spoiler: soulsfountain (click to show/hide)

EDIT2: And a third example, identical on Linux and Win7 (2x2, flat, volcano, untamed wilds, minor river, steel friendly, all civs)

Spoiler: cryptplunges (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 11:26:54 am by vjek »

swimmerdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: May 24, 2013, 07:41:35 pm »

I have a request for a map with no dwarven civilization. I want this so I can have a 7 dwarf challenge and only populate my fort by birth. Thx :)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: May 25, 2013, 12:09:15 am »

I have a request for a map with no dwarven civilization. I want this so I can have a 7 dwarf challenge and only populate my fort by birth. Thx :)
Even if the dwarven civ is 'extinct' you will still get as many dwarves as your population cap.  The only way to stop them is to remove the ACTIVE_SEASON:AUTUMN entry for dwarves in entity_default.txt in your saved game.  This needs to be done immediately after the embark is created.

You'll still get the first two migrant waves, however, without some hacking.

Sliverine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 25, 2013, 03:15:55 pm »

Hi all, I have a request for a max 5x5 map with:

-volcano and river
-joyous wild/serene/mirthful surroundings
-warm or temperate
-heavily forested or at least has decent amt of trees
-entire obsidian layers near the surface (all within 10 z-levels or so below sea level if possible)
-has iron on map

-no preference for savagery
-slight preference for flat volcano or volcano starting just slightly below the surface but not particularly concerned with that
-mild preference for some soil on the top 2 or so layers
-preference for some form of enemies (goblins, kobolds etc) but not too heavy
-preference for some form of flux, not a requirement tho but wld be nice to have

As some of you may guess from this setup, i'm seeking to make an ideal fortress ala sim city style, albeit with some form of challenge. Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to give it a go.  :)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 25, 2013, 06:55:13 pm »

Hi all, I have a request for a max 5x5 map with:

I believe this will meet most of your requirements, Silverine

Spoiler: cryptplunges2 (click to show/hide)

Sliverine

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 25, 2013, 11:47:12 pm »

Thanks vj, that map is pretty much closer to what i want then all of the other maps i've been sourcing up till now!

On a side note, is it possible to have just entire layers of mostly obsidian? This one has layers of obsidian but all the layers contain some ovals of other resources, which tend to interrupt its uniformity..

edit: i turned up the mineral scarcity to 800 and i pretty much got what i wanted, although the iron veins disappeared. gonna try to find a sweetspot that gives me enough scarcity for iron veins but not so much that every other thing appears as well

edit2: sweetspot attained at 650 mineral scarcity
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 12:13:13 am by Sliverine »

alexjj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: May 26, 2013, 04:29:47 pm »

I've made my dfworldgen site.

I'm just learning python/django and wanted to keep it simple. Let me know any problems.

I hope people want to use it and then find it useful.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #639 on: May 26, 2013, 11:53:36 pm »

I've been trying to doing this for awhile, with no luck, so maybe someone will point me in the right direction. I've been trying to get a canyon or chasm of some sort with high cliffs with a low center area (something similar to the river canyon map posted in the beginning).

I'd like to do a megaproject of constructing an overland bridge across said chasm, so I'd like to to be fairly large apart. My attempts at getting a good chasm/canyon/etc. whatever seem doomed to failure, despite how much I fiddle with evalations (the best I've gotten is the Z levels and sloping hills across an embark site; its rather frustrating ...)
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: May 27, 2013, 10:35:25 am »

I've been trying to doing this for awhile, with no luck, so maybe someone will point me in the right direction. I've been trying to get a canyon or chasm of some sort with high cliffs with a low center area (something similar to the river canyon map posted in the beginning).

I'd like to do a megaproject of constructing an overland bridge across said chasm, so I'd like to to be fairly large apart. My attempts at getting a good chasm/canyon/etc. whatever seem doomed to failure, despite how much I fiddle with evalations (the best I've gotten is the Z levels and sloping hills across an embark site; its rather frustrating ...)
From what I've seen; The only places non-sloped Z-level changes are created are where lakes meet land or two rivers meet, or for a very large embark, where a river meets the ocean.  Large rivers are huge drain on FPS, as well, so something to consider.
Focus your search where 2, 3, or 4 rivers meet, and you should find something suitable.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #641 on: May 27, 2013, 12:16:41 pm »

From what I've seen; The only places non-sloped Z-level changes are created are where lakes meet land or two rivers meet, or for a very large embark, where a river meets the ocean.  Large rivers are huge drain on FPS, as well, so something to consider.
Focus your search where 2, 3, or 4 rivers meet, and you should find something suitable.

What's the best way to increase the number of rivers to try and get such an intersection? I've tried playing with the drainage, but I've had limited luck in getting that to work proper.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: May 27, 2013, 12:36:01 pm »

... What's the best way to increase the number of rivers to try and get such an intersection? I've tried playing with the drainage, but I've had limited luck in getting that to work proper.
I get a river on every region with 100 min/max rainfall, 100 min/max drainage, and keeping the elevation as flat as possible.  I also set desired and required rivers to 0 and set number of erosion cycles to somewhere between 20 and 1000.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 27, 2013, 07:51:44 pm »

Found an interesting embark today, I think it's worth sharing.

2x2 river/cliff, half temperate broadleaf forest, half temperate woodland, temperature hot
Half calm, half untamed wilds
22-Z level of sheer cliff from embark down to the level of the water in a major river
steel friendly (magnetite and limestone in the first 3 Z levels of stone, also has clay
aquifers, but not full-Z levels, so you can dig around them if you wish
The entire south half of the embark is the empty space over the river
natural 22-Z level waterfall

Spoiler: bronzestars (click to show/hide)
This worldgen and embark are identical in Linux and Win7
EDIT: Added Stonesense 3D screenshot of the bronzestars embark here.

EDIT2:
I've been trying to doing this for awhile, with no luck, so maybe someone will point me in the right direction. I've been trying to get a canyon or chasm of some sort with high cliffs with a low center area (something similar to the river canyon map posted in the beginning) ...

Let me know if this is what you mean, NCommander... (20 Z-Levels from embark to bottom of river canyon)

Spoiler: rooterracks (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 03:38:00 pm by vjek »

derriesen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 30, 2013, 03:37:56 am »

Hi Forums,

thought I´d share the following Embark with you since it pretty much hits what I´ve been searching for big time...

What the embark has (5x5):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is the save:
You can start out with my starting setup (Bunch of usefull stuff including an anvil. Starting Dwarfs are:
- Mason/Buidling Designer (Miner) 2x
- Mechanic/Carpenter
- Gem Setter/Cutter
- Grower/Cook
- Armorsmith/Metalsmith/Weaponsmith
- Diagnostician/Appraiser/Organizer/Record Keeper

Appart from that the Save is unppaused.

If You want your own start you can abbandon the fort, read the Seed and genning information from legends i think and create a brand new embark.

HAve Fun!
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 62