Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 62

Author Topic: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 283637 times)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2012 (v34.01+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #720 on: July 24, 2013, 07:16:21 pm »

I'm looking for a 4x4 or 5x5 embark site to build a mountain fortress. I'm looking for a site with a flat area and then a sheer slope, it doesn't need to be a cliff, but something close to that.

Has to have: Flux, iron, a lot of ore/gem variety, a tropical savage biome, and expansive caves(I know how to get these, but I'm not clear on whether it affects other aspects of worldgen?)
Would be nice: A river, joyous wilds, sand, clay, and a volcano.
Most of this is trivial beyond the sheer slope part.  However, before I start, is something like this what you're looking for?

Astarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: July 24, 2013, 07:25:05 pm »

I'm looking for a 4x4 or 5x5 embark site to build a mountain fortress. I'm looking for a site with a flat area and then a sheer slope, it doesn't need to be a cliff, but something close to that.

Has to have: Flux, iron, a lot of ore/gem variety, a tropical savage biome, and expansive caves(I know how to get these, but I'm not clear on whether it affects other aspects of worldgen?)
Most of this is trivial beyond the sheer slope part.  However, before I start, is something like this what you're looking for?

Pretty much, although a sharper slope would be nice, I guess those are hard to produce in the current version though. I've mostly been having trouble producing the proper biome and getting the rest of the stuff at the same time.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: July 24, 2013, 07:47:19 pm »

... Pretty much, although a sharper slope would be nice, I guess those are hard to produce in the current version though. I've mostly been having trouble producing the proper biome and getting the rest of the stuff at the same time.
Yeah, it's pretty much one slope per Z or a cliff adjacent to a river, those are the two choices.  I'll take a run at this tonight/early tomorrow. 
Is one cavern layer fine, or do you want 2 or 3?  I know you said caves, I'm just asking for clarification.

Astarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: July 24, 2013, 07:52:35 pm »

Does reducing the number of cavern layers affect underground monsters/foliage? Two would be my preference, but I'd like to get all the deep wood and creatures.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: July 25, 2013, 09:58:22 am »

Ok, found one that's close.  There's 15 Z levels of slope on the surface, and quite a few other matching parameters.
4x4 Hot Tropical Shrubland, Joyous Wilds, A brook, sand, clay, flux, iron, lots of ores/gems.
Three levels of caverns, A magma tube starting at 71, embark on 104, plus more in the spoiler.  You can expand the embark to the north and west for more slope/rise if you wish.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Astarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: July 25, 2013, 12:41:26 pm »

Awesome, thanks.

John D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is this normal?
« Reply #726 on: July 25, 2013, 06:06:23 pm »

It's beautiful, I must have it! What are the resources like?

Hematite, Tetrahedrite, Marble. Nothing fancy, sadly.
Spoiler: World Gen (click to show/hide)

OK, this embark with the big symmetric volcano is pretty cool, and it serves as a good foundation for my world-gen theory question: Suppose I wanted to play the same site but with a different biome? Could the parameters be tweaked enough to turn it into a forest while still producing the same topography? Or maybe turn it into a joyous wilds? So far in my experimenting, the changes I can make that produce the same map features only have the effect of moving some civ sites and necro towers around.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: July 25, 2013, 07:53:38 pm »

Forest requires higher rainfall and drainage.  if those are 50+ each you'll get a forest biome.  Give it a try and see.

GrimDark_Majyyks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: July 25, 2013, 09:38:41 pm »

Forest requires higher rainfall and drainage.  if those are 50+ each you'll get a forest biome.  Give it a try and see.

Yes, what vjek said. For reference, use this. More precisely, anything at or above 66 rainfall produces a forest. Drainage will change the type of forest as well as, it seems, take part in determining the presence of an aquifer. I might be mistaken, but I feel like I've noticed a trend where the lower drainage ratings are more likely to produce aquifers. In any case, you definitely need to tinker with the rainfall in order to produce a forest biome. Temperature also will change the type of forest you produce if you are gunning for particular creatures.

EDIT: I might not be entirely correct about the aquifers, research presently. Tentatively, it seems like it might be an elevation thing, which just happens to correlate to drainage since the drainage map seems to generate based off of the elevation map, especially when using Perfect World. Presumably the standard advanced gen undergoes a similar procedure.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 10:27:55 pm by GrimDark_Majyyks »

John D

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: July 26, 2013, 10:27:28 pm »

Sorry, I've seen the chart on what rainfall and drainage levels do.

What I'm trying to do, and was asking if you think it's possible, was change the rainfall level enough to go from savanna to swamp/forest without causing more rejections, so that the RNG generates exactly the same elevation and vulcanism maps.

When I change the minimum rainfall setting, the result an entirely different map. Am I changing it too much? Or is it more a matter of changing the weighted ranges and hoping?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: July 31, 2013, 09:17:27 pm »

Haven't been around here in like, forever. I also got back into DF recently.

Anyways, anybody got a good set of parameters that make lots of flat volcanoes on flat embarks (or at least make alot of flat embark volcanoes) with a river?

Alternatively, maybe an embark request.

Medium or small world
5x5 embark
Flat volcano
flat embark
not evil
river
Lots of iron, preferrably magnetite, but any of the three iron ores will do.
Sedimentary flux would be great

also, I'm thinking of trying an ocean embark and am trying to find a nice site with a volcano and access to all civilizations. I would like a flat embark there as well, though meh, sea cliffs would be awesome.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: August 01, 2013, 09:03:08 am »

Haven't been around here in like, forever. I also got back into DF recently.

Anyways, anybody got a good set of parameters that make lots of flat volcanoes on flat embarks (or at least make alot of flat embark volcanoes) with a river?

Alternatively, maybe an embark request.

Medium or small world
5x5 embark
Flat volcano
flat embark
not evil
river
Lots of iron, preferrably magnetite, but any of the three iron ores will do.
Sedimentary flux would be great

also, I'm thinking of trying an ocean embark and am trying to find a nice site with a volcano and access to all civilizations. I would like a flat embark there as well, though meh, sea cliffs would be awesome.
Check these out, smjjames:
one
two
three
four
If those aren't to your liking, let me know and I'll find something similar.  these are small embarks, but you can make them bigger if you want.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 09:07:25 am by vjek »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: August 01, 2013, 03:34:46 pm »

Thanks, the fourth one definetly looks good and has tons more ore if you move it a bit and use 5x5, although not a whole lot of soil.

I like the flat ones of link one, but those are pretty scarce in iron. Mainly I wanted to get a good sampling of what works well for flat volcanoes.

I'm still interested in an ocean embark with volcano, so my ocean embark request is:

5x5, though a 4x4 area could also work.
Volcano, a flat one is optional, and if it's underwater that's fine.
Seacliffs, gotta have those, right? and several z levels worth :D Or at least more than one.
Sand is optional (are there non-sandy beaches?)
non-evil biomes.
Doesn't matter what savagery it is, though it would be awesome to have one of those giant whales beach themselves, but any savagery would work.
Lots of iron and other ores, what other ores doesn't matter, but it MUST have iron.
Access to dwarves, humans, and elves at the very least.
having part of the embark being flat would be good.
Flux, marble at least.
20 layers above the top cavern level and maybe 20 z levels of sky? or go with default value for z levels above ground, not sure about megaprojects.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 10:54:18 am by smjjames »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: August 05, 2013, 10:55:47 am »

I don't remember the exact stance the forum has against bumping since I know in general you shouldn't really bump, but..... just saying that I simplified the requirements a bit.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: August 05, 2013, 01:07:51 pm »

I don't remember the exact stance the forum has against bumping since I know in general you shouldn't really bump, but..... just saying that I simplified the requirements a bit.
Unfortunately, for myself, I haven't found a site that matches after looking through several dozen worlds.  Finding a volcano within 5 tiles of an ocean with cliffs, and flat, is evidently quite rare.
Finding a volcano isolated in the ocean is trivial, but it has no contact with any of the land civs.
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 62