Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Too many children  (Read 6208 times)

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
Re: Too many children
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 06:56:01 am »

They grow up into peasants, you know. And with pretty old children coming as migrants, that's sooner than later.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Ascimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2012, 07:27:36 am »

It was fun to watch a child to rain down punches on the injured troglodyte, locking and breaking his arm at some point. I almost saw the chuckling face of the hunter watching that.
There is a finely-engraved image of Ascimator on the wall. Ascimator is slapping himself in the face. The artwork relates to the loss of the only anvil in Perplextombs in the late winter of 6.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2012, 11:27:12 am »

Dump them in the caverns.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2012, 11:50:15 am »

How do you get kids to go where you want them to in order to oubliette them into the Spartan Project Training Facility? Entice them with levers?

I've always turned off births and basically ignored the handful of migrant kids that showed up. I'm not sure what they can be made to do. They deconstruct walls and help in harvests, those are the only things I know that they can do in order to develop skills and attributes...

I imagine some of the migrants you receive will be older kids that will mature in a couple years, maybe it worth just letting them mill about the fort like they usually do.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2012, 12:10:32 pm »

Use burrows, assign your Dorfy children to sleep on that conveniently placed large serrated disc...

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 12:40:42 pm »

Use burrows, assign your Dorfy children to sleep on that conveniently placed large serrated disc...

My children flat-out ignore the burrows.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 04:10:10 pm »

Place thier bed in the chamber, assign.
As a plus, they'll also be safe from vampires now.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 04:15:57 pm »

My children flat-out ignore the burrows.

Meeting zones then

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 04:50:40 pm »

Children are a great resource. At first they won't be useful, but in at most 12 years you will have new haulers and/or spear catchers.

In my forts I have the founders and original migrants all married and spawning children at incredible rates. These dorfs are protected and exempt from dangerous duties. Their job is to be legendary at as many things as possible and produce more children.

The children carry stuff around for their legendary parents, and also make up the military. Children are produced at a rapid enough pace that it outstrips any losses when I'm big game hunting to produce masterwork demon tallow roasts.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 04:55:01 pm »

Reminds me a little of what someone said yesterday about having vampire dorfs as a ruling caste after a few show up.

Except this time it'd be the parents.
Pages: 1 [2]