Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 850622 times)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #255 on: February 26, 2012, 07:59:28 am »

Whats the best animal to breed and farm to get the most product from it?
If you haven't edited the raws, probably turkeys. Otherwise crocodiles, either cave or saltwater. They lay 20-60/70 eggs, and grow to full size in 2 years, at which point you can kill them for ~35 meat, ~27 fat, ~33 bones. Generally anything that lays eggs is best, because they can breed incredibly quickly.

You can also breed dragons and rocs for fun and huge value multipliers. A few rocs should feed a fortress for years.

Oh and for wool sheep are probably best. Lowest grazing size, good lifespan, cheap etc.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:04:38 am by Yaotzin »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 26, 2012, 08:03:55 am »

Dogs are pretty good for all ofthat.
Turkeys are a good meat animal on embark, and because they're egg-layers you can get some nest boxes set up and squeeze some more food out of them before they go off to the butcher's. But they're only that good on embark because they take two years to get to the size they are when you buy adults. Order some dogs from the first caravan.

Sheep are the most efficient multi-purpose animal. They need only 16 tiles of grazing each and give milk and wool, plus horn for the rams. Add in a couple of goats if you want hoof. Goats have the same grazing requirements as sheep, can be milked, and give hoof as well.

Alpaca are 40% bigger than a goat but require 56% more grazing space. Looking at the wiki, alpacas give slightly more muscle meat and the same amount of other meat, but between the small size difference and the arcane workings of the butchery return system* it's probably not worth keeping alpacas over sheep. Would totally do it if alpaca wool was worth more though, since it's such nice stuff in RL.

*Animal parts have to hit a certain threshold before they give anything up. With rare exceptions for large or small individuals, sheep and alpacas are probably both in the same 'assorted organs: one each' category. Even with the exceptions both animals might cross over into different categories at the same time.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 26, 2012, 09:11:31 am »

How the hell do you kill a mummy? I shot it, broke every body part it had, severed it's hands and feet, fractured every bone, but the damned beast still is alive and kicking (Literally).
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #258 on: February 26, 2012, 11:14:30 am »

My Dwarfs aren't using weapon and armor racks to store equipment, they just leave their gear lying around. I have the racks set up, set to armory, stockpiles have weapons and armor turned off. What do I need to do to get my dwarfs to put their gear on the racks?

EDIT: Weapons and armor are equipped to the dwarfs, if that makes any difference.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 11:20:19 am by Linkeron »

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 26, 2012, 11:21:51 am »

I don't think racks/stands actually work. Anyway if they do, they're there to store the gear when they're off duty. So if they're on duty, or you have them set to wear their uniform while off-duty (default I think), then they wouldn't be used anyway.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 26, 2012, 11:23:04 am »

I'm having a issue with a dragon.  I've got a great fort defence ready to kill him, but for some reason he hangs out just outside my base, unwilling to come in.  He just paces back and forth and burning any vampires I send out to say hi.  I had a minotaur do the exact same thing a year ago.  I have no idea why they wouldn't just storm the fortress, is there something that would prevent them from coming inside? 

I had a 100 zombie siege earlier and they walked right in without any issues.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #261 on: February 26, 2012, 11:25:47 am »

You're assuming Dragons and Minotaurs are as stupid as zombies, of course xD

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 26, 2012, 11:27:59 am »

Zombie minotaurs. Badical. :o
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 26, 2012, 12:38:07 pm »

I don't think racks/stands actually work.
In .31 they kind of worked, but as soon as a dwarf put anything in there another dwarf would come by to haul the item into a stockpile.

Even if they did work as storage, it's better to have five sets of equipment permanently on five dwarves than five sets of equipment being swapped between seven or eight dwarves.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 26, 2012, 06:24:02 pm »

I just had a bridge deconstruct for no apparent reason. There's no building destroyers in the area, and I haven't been moving it at all. Why could this happen?

Nick

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 26, 2012, 06:33:42 pm »

Tantruming dorfs can wreck your stuff.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 26, 2012, 06:36:40 pm »

I did have a tantrumer. But I got no messages about a bridge being destroyed, and there's nothing on the crime screen to indicate he broke the bridge.

Should I have gotten a message in the log? Should he be written up as a criminal?

Nick

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2012, 06:49:40 pm »

Don't think so, I had tables/chairs/trade depot etc destroyed in a near tantrum spiral and got zero messages and no crimes.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2012, 06:54:44 pm »

Woah, my commander just randomly put his shield away on an Armor Stand, and the next time I gave them a station order he immediately dropped a rock he was carrying and ran over to the stand to grab his shield.

wut?

So, they only work occasionally?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 26, 2012, 07:14:09 pm »

How does this new justice system work?

View the justice screen as usual, and you can scroll down through the various current crimes (and anyone who's been punished or is in line for punishment). Press enter while you're viewing a case that someone hasn't been punished for, yet, and you can select someone to punish. I think shelling "justice" out for people who don't deserve it might tick off your dwarves, though.

If you're lucky, the crime will have had a few eyewitnesses, which are noted in the crime's info, and anyone accused will be at the top of list of people you can choose to punish. Just be careful because sometimes the criminal himself will accuse someone. "Someone" in this case can even be an animal for now (giving you a good idea of who really did it), but that's supposed to be fixed in the next release.

I don't know how mandates not being met works, I'm assuming nobles will still choose someone to punish themselves rather than letting you do it, but I'm not sure. Other than that... hammerers are back in, and can be assigned from the start. I haven't had much luck getting them to actually give hammerstrikes though, my captain of the guard still usually seems to smack the criminal around. (I ended up un-designating my cages used as prisons, since that basically just seemed to make vampires I locked in them go out and drain more dwarves dry as soon as they got out, anyhow.)

About nobles, I've seen (twice) that if a production mandate is failed, they either choose someone with the appropriate labor or with the appropriate experience to punish. I failed to make 2 bracelets (didn't see it...) and the mayor sentenced a craftsdwarf to 1 hammerstrike.

If an export mandate is violated, the dwarf(ves) who carried the exported item to the depot gets punished.

Anywho, thanks for the help.

EDIT: Also, since the crimes are already confirmed for violation of production and export orders, the option to convict somebody is grayed out.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 07:19:22 pm by Jacob/Lee »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 422