Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 850999 times)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2012, 07:35:29 pm »

I have a dwarf with a broken finger who doesn't go to hospital, because she hasn't been asked for a diagnosis. I think she arrived as a migrant with it broken. Any way to get her treated?

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2012, 10:05:37 pm »

Break something else? maybe the doctor will notice the old injury when he treats the new one.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2012, 10:08:42 pm »

Which tissue is broken?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2012, 10:23:50 pm »

So there's a fortress listed in Legends mode which I would like to visit as an adventurer.
However, the civ that built does not appear as a choice when I seek to create a new adventurer. How might I go about pin-pointing its general location on a map so I can visit it?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 26, 2012, 10:25:51 pm »

How the hell do you kill a mummy? I shot it, broke every body part it had, severed it's hands and feet, fractured every bone, but the damned beast still is alive and kicking (Literally).
Beheading or bisection.

My question: what is the population requirement for necromancer attacks?

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 26, 2012, 11:30:24 pm »

How the hell do you kill a mummy? I shot it, broke every body part it had, severed it's hands and feet, fractured every bone, but the damned beast still is alive and kicking (Literally).
Beheading or bisection.

My question: what is the population requirement for necromancer attacks?

Maybe it's 80, the same as Titans?

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 27, 2012, 02:37:56 am »

ummm somehow i cant make armor leggings greaves or anything below the waist includeing high boots and low boots.

i also tried on the managers screen.

edit: nvm i may of modded them out on accident when i was trying to removes cloths and didnt relise when i made the world
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:51:47 am by drivec »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 27, 2012, 04:22:08 am »

Dogs are pretty good for all ofthat.
Turkeys are a good meat animal on embark, and because they're egg-layers you can get some nest boxes set up and squeeze some more food out of them before they go off to the butcher's. But they're only that good on embark because they take two years to get to the size they are when you buy adults. Order some dogs from the first caravan.

Sheep are the most efficient multi-purpose animal. They need only 16 tiles of grazing each and give milk and wool, plus horn for the rams. Add in a couple of goats if you want hoof. Goats have the same grazing requirements as sheep, can be milked, and give hoof as well.

Alpaca are 40% bigger than a goat but require 56% more grazing space. Looking at the wiki, alpacas give slightly more muscle meat and the same amount of other meat, but between the small size difference and the arcane workings of the butchery return system* it's probably not worth keeping alpacas over sheep. Would totally do it if alpaca wool was worth more though, since it's such nice stuff in RL.

*Animal parts have to hit a certain threshold before they give anything up. With rare exceptions for large or small individuals, sheep and alpacas are probably both in the same 'assorted organs: one each' category. Even with the exceptions both animals might cross over into different categories at the same time.

I'd still say dogs, they're a little easier to manage since you don't have to make sure the eggs are not taken away if you want them to hatch, or worry about the chicks viciously attacking one another shortly after birth because they feel crowded in the nest. I usually just buy wool from merchants, since it's only for moods, I make enough pig fibers to supply my fort with a lot of socks, wool isn't an issue. I also do take turkeys, but only for the eggs.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2012, 05:55:52 am »

Which tissue is broken?
"Her fourth toe left foot is broken. Her fourth toe left foot is smashed open."

It doesn't seem to affect her, but it bugs the shit out of me :p

Would a 2 z level "accident" be reasonably safe and get her to the hospital where it might get treated?

I make enough pig fibers to supply my fort with a lot of socks, wool isn't an issue
Why do you make socks? Don't stupid dorfs claim them and make them useless? I tried making some for my soldiers but they just got claimed by someone and were useless.

Finally, I have a dorf nicknamed "Blacksmith" (so I know he was mine) who died a while ago in a magma accident and is now a ghost. His name isn't on the engrave list though. Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 05:59:42 am by Yaotzin »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 27, 2012, 10:05:54 am »

I make enough pig fibers to supply my fort with a lot of socks, wool isn't an issue
Why do you make socks? Don't stupid dorfs claim them and make them useless? I tried making some for my soldiers but they just got claimed by someone and were useless.

That you actually took that serious is hillarious. I just meant to express that having sheeps for wool has little practical use, since outside moods I don't need sheep wool cloth. Dogs breed faster and require even less attention was my main point. cloth is used pretty much only for bags
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 27, 2012, 10:16:37 am »

That you actually took that serious is hillarious. I just meant to express that having sheeps for wool has little practical use, since outside moods I don't need sheep wool cloth. Dogs breed faster and require even less attention was my main point. cloth is used pretty much only for bags
:< I took it seriously because I heard about syndromes where wearing socks/shoes prevents them getting infected. Is that stuff part of the same joke? :p

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 27, 2012, 10:19:35 am »

:< I took it seriously because I heard about syndromes where wearing socks/shoes prevents them getting infected. Is that stuff part of the same joke? :p
Ahh, No.

Syndromes that are like so depend on skin contact, if you have boots at the very least or something covering the lower body parts, then said syndrome won't affect your dwarves much.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 27, 2012, 10:31:14 am »

Eventually I'll enroll everyone in the military then and give them boots :D

How do I mod it so I can butcher anything I want? I want to eat elves and minotaurs and stuff.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #283 on: February 27, 2012, 10:34:43 am »

How do I mod it so I can butcher anything I want? I want to eat elves and minotaurs and stuff.

In entity_default.txt, find the [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] entry.  Scroll down to the line [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:UNTHINKABLE].  Change this to [ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER:ACCEPTABLE].  Optionally change the ETHIC:EAT_SAPIENT_KILL and ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT lines as well.  This will require you to generate a new world, you can't do this to an existing world.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 27, 2012, 10:40:53 am »

Thanks! New world eh, pity. Eating elves is totally worth it though.

Guess I'll get around to modifying all the exotic pets..again...wish Toady would put the DM back :<
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 422