Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 851001 times)

HD23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3840 on: January 21, 2013, 03:34:12 pm »

I'm trying to start up my textiles industry, and I'm growing Pig tails. However, I suspect they're getting turned into beer before they can be turned into thread. How can I tell my dwarves not to use pig tails for brewing?

z -> Kitchen -> find pig tails -> press b so the that "brew" is red
(meaning brewing is forbidden for pig tails)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: January 21, 2013, 10:32:41 pm »

I'm trying to reclaim a fort that's fallen to zombies, and am having trouble with soldiers not following orders, and also not equipping the weapons and armour i've brought along.
Anyone got tips on getting them to equip fast?
I tried bringing lots of wardogs along which is usually helpful, but with the low frame rate i have on this fort i can't tell if they are helping.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: January 22, 2013, 08:28:11 am »

What's the problem exactly?  Soldiers dropping dead before they get all of their gear on?  Or just flat not putting it on or going to attack things?

The only thing I've seen that helps to get them to equip stuff faster is to give them a station order after setting up their uniform.  It's still going to take them a little while to put all of their stuff on, depending on how much armor you give them.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: January 22, 2013, 09:55:02 am »

How much force do rollers confer onto minecarts at various speeds (roller speeds, that is)?

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: January 22, 2013, 11:17:31 am »

Depends on what you mean by force. I think that you need more than just rollers to get socks moving fast enough to put holes in gobs if that's what you mean.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: January 22, 2013, 11:36:35 am »

Let me rephrase, then. I am designing a powered rail network to gather surface goods, such as logs. Mine carts careening off of the tracks and smashing dorfs into paste would be a bad idea, so I need to know how high I should set the rollers.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: January 22, 2013, 03:28:41 pm »

Dig around in this thread, it's the best compilation of minecart data right now.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: January 22, 2013, 05:48:22 pm »

How do DF veterans generally go about dealing with the Marksdwarf comabat/training ammo bug? I've been using wood for both combat and training but now I want to switch to iron which I guess means they need iron set on both combat and training ammo, right?

I still want them to train so I did that channel dig trick I read about on the wiki for saving iron ammo. In your experience does this save ALL the iron ammo or at least enough so that training with iron is economically viable? Any sort of trick or pointer would be welcome.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: January 22, 2013, 05:55:20 pm »

1)Typically I just use bone bolts for everything. Sure it isn't the most effective, but when you have huge groups of marksdwarves all shooting it doesn't really matter if 80% of the bolts bounce off.

2)The channel dig trick will save all of the bolts that fail to hit a target. Be warned that falling bolts could potentially kill dwarves that are retrieving ammo! Lastly if you melt down/reforge your individual split bolts you have infinite metal, so if you aren't averse to a little cheating you could do that to ensure you had enough to train and fight with.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: January 22, 2013, 06:49:45 pm »

Thanks. Now these split bolts should still be stacked in 25s and re-used without me needing to reforge them, right? I think I should stick to iron bolts as even goblin copper seems immune to wood/bone.
And my vampire legendary blacksmith makes some fine masterwork bolts too! In return he gets to occasionally drain someone's blood as they sleep, fair trade.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: January 22, 2013, 07:16:50 pm »

Thanks. Now these split bolts should still be stacked in 25s and re-used without me needing to reforge them, right? I think I should stick to iron bolts as even goblin copper seems immune to wood/bone.
And my vampire legendary blacksmith makes some fine masterwork bolts too! In return he gets to occasionally drain someone's blood as they sleep, fair trade.
They'll be re-used, but not re-stacked.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: January 22, 2013, 08:22:03 pm »

While the melt & re-manufacture trick will generate new stacks, it will do so at the cost of both time, but also increasing available materials by 150% even if you don't wish to abuse an exploit.

The answer to this latter issue is unfortunately to invest some additional time, & have your boltsmith waste the extra materials on forging things with a really bad return rate when melted down, according to the Melt Items wiki article, it looks like toys are probably the best bet, melt 25 bolts, make then melt 5 toys, make 1 stack of bolts, this should result in no additional metals, with slight losses to the periodic creation of masterworks.

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: January 23, 2013, 04:23:09 pm »

Would it not waste less time to just dump some number of metal bars into the lava/trash for every so many bolts you recycle?

Crazy Horse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: January 23, 2013, 05:34:23 pm »

I messed around with it and decided to get forget the whole bolt saving thing.. The marksdwarves take forever to pick out a set of 25 (which can bring ruin when you need them for combat asap) and the bolts take a massive amount of storage space as the haulers seem reluctant to store them in bins. On top of that the haulers move them 1 by 1 so it eats up alot of dwarfpower as well being dangerous. It even complicates the stocks screen and stockpile inventory taking.

Not worth it to save any amount of any kind of material IMO.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: January 23, 2013, 11:33:12 pm »

Would it not waste less time to just dump some number of metal bars into the lava/trash for every so many bolts you recycle?
Yes, but it didn't occur to me.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 422