Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 851579 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #6120 on: April 12, 2014, 07:50:49 am »

I found a first one, which i discovered, and as I was digging around it, found one much deeper, about 10 layers deeper... would that one be unsafe to explore with soldiers?
You can probably explore all 3 layers without much trouble. Just the risk that your soldiers bump into something big increases the further down you go, usually :P

thesuker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6121 on: April 13, 2014, 12:16:09 pm »

Is there any way to forbid hunters from hunting giant cave spiders or any other specific creature I don't want them to hunt?

Also, is it not posible to train animals who have owners to be war/hunting dogs?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2014, 12:18:40 pm by thesuker »

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: April 13, 2014, 01:11:48 pm »

No and no, if I'm not much mistaken.
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6123 on: April 13, 2014, 05:29:43 pm »

Is there anything I can do to remove ramps on the edge of the map? If not, how can I otherwise keep invaders from being able to use them to access the slopes of my mountain fortress?

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: April 13, 2014, 06:03:09 pm »

Is there anything I can do to remove ramps on the edge of the map? If not, how can I otherwise keep invaders from being able to use them to access the slopes of my mountain fortress?

Obsidian casting and bridges work right up to the map edge. So if the very edge has ramps, and 1 tile away is already on a higher z-level, one option would be to build bridges as a "roof" above the ramps? You don't even need to toggle them, and thus it doesn't really matter if they're retracting or raising, but I'd go with retracting in case I'd want to access those ramps later (and would choose to do so by activating the bridge rather than taking it apart).

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: April 13, 2014, 06:17:22 pm »

Obsidian casting and bridges work right up to the map edge. So if the very edge has ramps, and 1 tile away is already on a higher z-level, one option would be to build bridges as a "roof" above the ramps? You don't even need to toggle them, and thus it doesn't really matter if they're retracting or raising, but I'd go with retracting in case I'd want to access those ramps later (and would choose to do so by activating the bridge rather than taking it apart).

Thanks for the quick answer. About 3/5ths of the borders of my current embark are mostly sheer cliffsides, so I doubt I'll be availing myself of either of those methods. If I do, however, will invaders and caravans still spawn on map edges that don't have access to my fort? What about wildlife?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #6126 on: April 14, 2014, 10:39:05 am »

Just started exploring caverns and it's kind of crazy trying to figure out where I am, where to go to, etc.  Any tips on cavern exploration you guys may have?

if it's adventure mode - don't or make a map
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: April 14, 2014, 08:40:03 pm »

Just started exploring caverns and it's kind of crazy trying to figure out where I am, where to go to, etc.  Any tips on cavern exploration you guys may have?
if it's adventure mode - don't or make a map
You can use the quest target map, I think. Trees in narrow paths will be the bane of your (vanilla) adventurer's existence in any case.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

thesuker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: April 15, 2014, 06:56:53 am »

Playing fortress mode, not adventurer, but got some pro tips from a friend that will help me not get raped by what's lurking deep under :P

Another doubt that comes to mind...  do dogs need to eat?  Or can I just assign them to a guard an entrance, and they're just fine without going anywhere to eat or drink?

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: April 15, 2014, 07:01:02 am »

Dogs are self-sufficient. You can chain them anywhere and they'll survive until they are killed or die of old age.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: April 15, 2014, 09:07:56 am »

Another doubt that comes to mind...  do dogs need to eat?  Or can I just assign them to a guard an entrance, and they're just fine without going anywhere to eat or drink?

The only things that need to eat are grazers. Here's a list, if you want to know which animals to watch for. Almost everything else will be fine on its own.

The only exception are certain intelligent pets, such as tigermen, who will need to eat and drink.

ustrikemagma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: May 03, 2014, 02:24:35 am »

the farm plot produces too much crop, and is there an option to let it idle?

another question is about falcon breeding. there is already a tame female falcon and the surrounding is desert where wild falcon may appear. if the gate is closed for most of the year, will the egg still get fertilized by a passing-by wild falcon? some say it happens as long as its within the map.

ustrikemagma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: May 03, 2014, 02:28:41 am »

well, i figure out the farm plot question by myself. i always thought that option is "follow" and wondered how a farm plot can move around!

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: May 03, 2014, 06:42:30 am »

Dwarf Fortress: Adding less-than-useful words to everyone's vocabulary!
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: May 03, 2014, 08:23:01 am »

Has anyone tried segregating a vampire into an area where blood barrels are available but booze and victims are not, and see if they will drink it?
They will not.

the farm plot produces too much crop, and is there an option to let it idle?

another question is about falcon breeding. there is already a tame female falcon and the surrounding is desert where wild falcon may appear. if the gate is closed for most of the year, will the egg still get fertilized by a passing-by wild falcon? some say it happens as long as its within the map.
Yes, in fact, he can be even caged (female can not!)

Edit; I just realized i replied for very old question, sorry.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.
Pages: 1 ... 407 408 [409] 410 411 ... 422