Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 851632 times)

Burnup

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill until you can't, Then savescum.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #6210 on: June 19, 2014, 11:21:20 am »

Another Q: Is there a list on the wiki or elsewhere which summarized the jobs which the skill either has no effect at all or only affects the speed at which it is accomplished?

A: Here is the wiki link map: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Skill

That's a list of skills, but not what I was looking for.
Found it under labors.

See? Teamwork :)
Just tell her that you were merely doing what the voices in your head were telling you to do.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: June 21, 2014, 08:41:48 am »

I just deconstructed my depot before the caravan had left. I think that was a mistake. What did I just do to myself?

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: June 21, 2014, 09:56:49 am »

I just deconstructed my depot before the caravan had left. I think that was a mistake. What did I just do to myself?

You essentially just stole everything from the caravan. I believe this is considered a bug. It's a violence-free way to seize a caravan, and I think it's the only way to seize a dwarven caravan. Generally the only consequence to this will be that the traders record a loss and thus bring a lot less to trade next year. In the case of the dwarven caravan it might also affect the size of your migrant waves, if their size is related to trader profit. I'm not sure about that.

Zarnium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: June 23, 2014, 11:12:12 am »

I was reading about garbage dumps on the wiki, and I was wondering, why shouldn't I just use garbage dumps instead of stockpiles?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: June 23, 2014, 11:31:38 am »

I was reading about garbage dumps on the wiki, and I was wondering, why shouldn't I just use garbage dumps instead of stockpiles?

It works, but it's micromanagement hell.  You'd need to designate a garbage zone, mark all the items you want dumped there, wait for them to be transported (by hand! no wheelbarrows), undesignate the zone, designate the next zone, etc.

Quantum Stockpiles (minecart-assisted) are a superior alternative.  You can have as many as you want, with each one taking whatever combination of stockpile-able items you desire, all completely automated.  You can use wheelbarrows for the input stockpiles, followed by a short (1 tile minimum) manual hauling of the item from the input stockpile to the minecart.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: June 23, 2014, 11:32:07 am »

You essentially just stole everything from the caravan. I believe this is considered a bug.

Not by Toady:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=293

Quote from: Zarnium

Dumped items are forbidden upon reaching the garbage zone; you'll have to reclaim to use them again. And when you reclaim them, dwarfs may try to drag the items to appropriate stockpiles. This can all be worked around, but dumps aren't the best replacement for regular stockpiles. You can get the same functionality with fewer downsides by building a minecart quantum dump.

Perhaps search for it yourself, i can't find a good explanation right now - basically, you set up a "route" consisting of a single route stop with no departure condition, and the route stop is on top of a track stop (the building in the "C"onstructions list) which dumps its contents into the immediately adjacent stockpile. Dwarfs will try to load items into the cart, but everything falls out immediately, and lands in the stockpile. This is highly automatable and configurable - all the dump pile's compactness without the micromanagement of having to mark stuff for dumping or reclaiming.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: June 23, 2014, 11:36:06 am »

Perhaps search for it yourself, i can't find a good explanation right now

The wiki lists it as an exploit, but it's SUCH a handy one....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Zarnium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: June 23, 2014, 12:04:31 pm »

So what are basic garbage dumps actually used for? Just getting excess materials out of the way?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: June 23, 2014, 12:42:15 pm »

Pretty much.  I use them for easy designation of trash disposal (typically over where an atom smasher can hit it, or into magma).  They're also handy for disarming caged enemies due to the need for a workaround and a high-speed way for rock designations just to get things going (QSPs are better over time, though).

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: June 23, 2014, 06:07:04 pm »

I like to use a 1-tile garbage dump over an indoor 1-tile food stockpile (with everything blocked) as a place to store 1 of each seed I acquire, just in case (using a food stockpile prevents rot, blocking everything means it never grabs anything).

Early on I also use it for a bunch of other storage too, but for most things the Minecart-QSP is better.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: June 23, 2014, 06:55:55 pm »

Garbage dumps are useful for tossing stuff off cliffs.  Or into wells. Or onto the heads of cats at the bottom of nearby ramps.

In ye olden days, before the hauling "update", it was useful for clearing rooms of loose stone.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: June 23, 2014, 08:23:14 pm »

I think the original idea behind garbage zone was utilizing chasms, that's why when placed next to an empty space a dumped item will be tossed into it.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: June 25, 2014, 10:19:27 pm »

I realise the primary purpose of Dormitories is to prevent unhappy thoughts about not sleeping in a bed, but is room value relevant?

Or is that only for personal rooms?

'cos I'm thinking it might just be easier to raise the value of the dorm than decide on a room architechture early on.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: June 26, 2014, 07:21:58 am »

I'm pretty sure that good thoughts like "slept in a bedroom like a personal palace" only happen if the dwarf own the room, so a dorm wouldn't benefit.  The only thing you'd likely get out of doing that is high value items in the dorm being admired for happy thoughts.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Zarnium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: June 26, 2014, 08:42:54 am »

What's the best way to clear out stone from a room? I've been designating the stone to be dragged to a garbage dump, but I didn't know if there was some time-saving trick I'm missing.
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 422