Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 849498 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #6225 on: June 26, 2014, 10:00:37 am »

What's the best way to clear out stone from a room? I've been designating the stone to be dragged to a garbage dump, but I didn't know if there was some time-saving trick I'm missing.

If you absolutely must have this room cleared right now, that is the most expiditious way.  Just make sure the garbage zone is right outside the room, because dwarves dump items by hand (no wheelbarrows), and stones are heavy.  You don't want dwarves hauling massive chunks of stone up 74 levels.

Another way is to designate the room in question as a stone stockpile, then designate a second stone stockpile outside the room, and tell the room's stockpile to give to the outside stockpile (and the outside stockpile should take from links only).  The advantage of this over dumping is you can assign wheelbarrows to the outside stockpile, so the dwarves haul stone with wheelbarrows instead of by hand.  If the stockpile is far away, this would be a huge timesaver.  If the stockpile is just in the hallway outside the room, it probably won't be.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 10:03:04 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6226 on: June 26, 2014, 11:08:11 am »

Another way is to designate the room in question as a stone stockpile,

When I have designated an area as a stockpile and there is stuff on the ground there, I later find that those spots are not considered a stockpile. Is that correct? Or do I only see that happening because the 'stuff' on the ground doesn't match the stockpile?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6227 on: June 26, 2014, 11:41:40 am »

When I have designated an area as a stockpile and there is stuff on the ground there, I later find that those spots are not considered a stockpile. Is that correct? Or do I only see that happening because the 'stuff' on the ground doesn't match the stockpile?

Designating a stockpile will skip over any tiles that are currently part of a stockpile or a building (which includes workshops), but does not skip over tiles that simply contain loose objects, like stones.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6228 on: June 26, 2014, 01:31:21 pm »

How does DF handle stockpiles of the same thing? Does it go to the easiest-pathed stockpile with room first?

What about when there are piles give-take chained together? When does it decide to fill the take-from pile? This is related to my ingrediants cooking issue--if I have a single, no-bin stockpile taking from a larger pile and giving to the kitchen, when will a job to move food from the larger pile to the single-spot be generated? When the single-spot is empty, or when the larger is full, or ~always.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6229 on: June 26, 2014, 07:25:59 pm »

Designating a stockpile will skip over any tiles that are currently part of a stockpile or a building (which includes workshops), but does not skip over tiles that simply contain loose objects, like stones.
It does get to be  pain, because if you put a stone stockpile over a bunch of stone, the stones are technically not in the stockpile yet. The stockpile has to generate a "move item to stockpile job" first.

IIRC the little idiots would insist on moving the stone in question a couple tiles, and at least once insisted on sending said stone to a stockpile 20 Z-Levels away

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6230 on: June 26, 2014, 07:27:25 pm »

I realise the primary purpose of Dormitories is to prevent unhappy thoughts about not sleeping in a bed, but is room value relevant?

Or is that only for personal rooms?

'cos I'm thinking it might just be easier to raise the value of the dorm than decide on a room architechture early on.
My gamey tactic was to make a dorm, but turn each bed into a single dorf's bedroom.

For all practical purposes it was a dorm with an incredibly high value. A 10X10 room, with engraved floors, and engraved walls, has 121 tiles. Since each tile has a base value of 1, and smoothing/engraving greatly increase the value, it's pretty easy to get a room so valuable that even when it overlaps another room it's still a "Great Bedroom." Since the overlapping penalty is a straight fraction of the room value, a room that doubles as your Broker's bedroom/office has the exact same value as one that all 89 of your dorfs think of as "their" bedroom.

Note that this means you can fairly simply put all your guy's offices/dining rooms/bedrooms into a single room, and your only problem will be the Baron being pissed that everyone else has such fine quarters. Early game this is a life-saver because you don't have to bother with individualrooms until your good and ready for them.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6231 on: June 26, 2014, 08:30:40 pm »

I realise the primary purpose of Dormitories is to prevent unhappy thoughts about not sleeping in a bed, but is room value relevant?

Or is that only for personal rooms?

'cos I'm thinking it might just be easier to raise the value of the dorm than decide on a room architechture early on.
My gamey tactic was to make a dorm, but turn each bed into a single dorf's bedroom.

For all practical purposes it was a dorm with an incredibly high value. A 10X10 room, with engraved floors, and engraved walls, has 121 tiles. Since each tile has a base value of 1, and smoothing/engraving greatly increase the value, it's pretty easy to get a room so valuable that even when it overlaps another room it's still a "Great Bedroom." Since the overlapping penalty is a straight fraction of the room value, a room that doubles as your Broker's bedroom/office has the exact same value as one that all 89 of your dorfs think of as "their" bedroom.

Note that this means you can fairly simply put all your guy's offices/dining rooms/bedrooms into a single room, and your only problem will be the Baron being pissed that everyone else has such fine quarters. Early game this is a life-saver because you don't have to bother with individualrooms until your good and ready for them.
Ooh. That's useful, 'cos what I want to do is replace all the floors & walls with metal (i'm planning on turning all my tetrahedrite in billon, because I can get better weapon value by producing steel from the available iron ores).

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6232 on: June 27, 2014, 07:11:30 am »

How does DF handle stockpiles of the same thing? Does it go to the easiest-pathed stockpile with room first?

From my experience, stockpiles seem to generate "feed me" jobs whenever they have unoccupied tiles and they can "find" a suitable item that would fill one of those tiles.  Or when they permit bins, and have no empty bins.  Or when they permit barrels, and have no empty barrels.

So if you have 2 iron bar stockpiles with empty spaces, both of them should start generating "Bring item to stockpile" jobs, targeting iron bars.  I don't know whether the stockpiles search for items by doing an A* path-traversal starting from themselves, or by scanning the list of items, or by scanning map tiles in some other order.

What about when there are piles give-take chained together? When does it decide to fill the take-from pile? This is related to my ingrediants cooking issue--if I have a single, no-bin stockpile taking from a larger pile and giving to the kitchen, when will a job to move food from the larger pile to the single-spot be generated? When the single-spot is empty, or when the larger is full, or ~always.

When a "taking" stockpile has an empty tile, it should generate a "Bring item to stockpile" job if it finds an eligible item, whether that's in a "giving" stockpile, or a workshop, or just lying on the ground.

For food stockpiles, barrels are relevant; bins are not.

Beware of barrel issues, particularly if the "giving" stockpile permits barrels.  This can cause weird behavior.  If a bunch of eligible-to-take items are stuck in a barrel along with a bunch of ineligible items, all those items might be disqualified because of the barrel.  I've found it works best if you never permit barrels in "giving" stockpiles.  They can be used in "taking" stockpiles (but only at the very end of the chain).

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6233 on: June 27, 2014, 02:06:59 pm »

I don't know whether the stockpiles search for items by doing an A* path-traversal starting from themselves, or by scanning the list of items, or by scanning map tiles in some other order.

I think, based solely on casual observation, that stockpiles search for items using the same preferences that dwarves use when selecting (d)esignated jobs; starting at the top-left of the map at the deepest z-level and checking each z-level for a given x,y position before moving to the next. I've used this as a working hypothesis since my current arena's seasonal miasma problems were solved by tactically forbidding hungry head teeth and troglodyte giblets in the caverns. This can also be useful if, say, you want to make sure your butchers get to war jabberer corpses that died at your gates, but the dwarves won't stop hauling gobline corpses on the edge of your map. Just forbid corpses from west to east until the ones you want hauled are the westernmost unforbidden corpses.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6234 on: June 27, 2014, 06:04:40 pm »

What's the best way to clear out stone from a room? I've been designating the stone to be dragged to a garbage dump, but I didn't know if there was some time-saving trick I'm missing.

1) minecart track, 2 tiles long, trackstop on the ending side set to dump.
2) put a small 6 tile or so stockpile next to one side, and 1 single tile stockpile on the other. The 6 tile one accepts stone, and the minecart route draws from that stockpile only, also accepting stone. The one tile accepts links from rails only, and accepts stone, and is the dump target.
3) Assign a bunch of wheelbarrows to the 6 tile one.
4) Set the schedule of the route to push when full, and dump into the 1 tile stockpile

From now on, whenever you dig out a room ever, dwarves will automatically swoop in without you doing anything, wheelbarrow the stone to your rail area thing, and automatically quantum stockpile all the rocks on that one tile that the cart dumps onto.  Which usually you should have immediately next to your stonemasons, etc.

This goes much faster than garbage dumping due to using wheelbarrows, it is automatic, and you don't have to unforbid the stone before masons will start using it.

You can also make two of them to separate out magma safe and non magma safe stone for two workshop areas, or color coding, or whatever. Also automatically. I usually do non magma safe and magma safe, each with masons and mechanics and such, and build mechanisms and floodgates in the safe pile and tables and such in the non safe pile.

(Note: this same system works for everything. Auto log collecting and quantum stockpiling by your carpenter, auto ore collecting, auto bar stockpiling from the smelter to the forge, etc. etc.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 06:08:43 pm by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6235 on: June 27, 2014, 06:31:33 pm »

Minecart quantum stockpiles do not require tracks or push orders.

BossChase

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6236 on: June 27, 2014, 11:19:52 pm »

I read that hammers work best vs undead. Do cross bows do any damage?

If I can get my dwarves to engage with bolts first and then move in with hammers once they run out of arrows. I might have a chance.

The seem to come back to life faster than I can kill them all. Lol

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6237 on: June 27, 2014, 11:38:43 pm »

Blunt damage is much less likely to sever limbs than edged damage, resulting in less possible zombies, which is why hammers and maces are good choices.

Bolts are small, so they are unlikely to remove anything, making ranged attacks a good choice as well.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6238 on: June 28, 2014, 03:55:07 am »

a dwarf inside my "inside" burrow is spamming the message "cancel store item in stockpile, drop-off inaccessible". He is hauling clay to a stockpile. I've double checked and the burrow is connected. Both sites are underground. I don't know what to do. Help.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6239 on: June 28, 2014, 08:40:52 am »

I read that hammers work best vs undead. Do cross bows do any damage?

Bolts fired from a crossbow do a tremendous amount of damage to undead.  Unlike everything else in the game, undead use a "hit point" system, which Toady is not satisfied with but is using as a stopgap.  A bolt (especially metal) traveling at crossbow-fired speeds does a shitload of HP damage, usually taking out smaller undead in a single shot.  Larger ones, like undead yaks, may need multiple hits.
Pages: 1 ... 414 415 [416] 417 418 ... 422