Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 847104 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« on: February 17, 2012, 08:15:44 pm »

We're getting a lot of cross pollenation of 0.25 and 0.34 in the 2010 thread.

Lets see if we can split off the new from the old version questions.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 08:20:16 pm »

Sounds good to me!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 08:37:55 pm »

Has anyone tried segregating a vampire into an area where blood barrels are available but booze and victims are not, and see if they will drink it?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:39:51 pm »

is there any reason a married couple wouldnt sleep in the same bed. for example if one is holding a baby?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 08:42:48 pm »

A bedroom that's assigned to a married dwarf is also automatically assigned to that dwarf's spouse.

They can't both sleep in the same bed at the same time, though.  Nor have I ever seen them attempt it -- but then, I haven't really been watching for it.

Hmm.  Now I'm curious to see if they'd both sleep at the same time if you put 2 beds in the bedroom.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 09:25:04 pm »

Are skinless, rotten zombies less powerful/durable than those who have little damage to the body proper?
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 09:38:49 pm »

Has anyone tried segregating a vampire into an area where blood barrels are available but booze and victims are not, and see if they will drink it?

I don't know, but if anyone does !science on this (or whether they'll drink from barrels of blood at all, even if they're not locked in with them) I'd love to know! It would be a way to have some vampires around without losing important dwarves, anyhow...

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 10:24:09 pm »

How do I read the .dat files in this recently created region 2, under init/saves/region2.  Or better yet, where is this exported .xml from Legends being stored?  Trying to troubleshoot, a world gen error that is causing me many rejects.

Any help would be gratefully accepted.  Not sure if older versions had these .dat files in the save folder.  Did they?  I deltree'd my old versions of the game.  Sincerely, Knutor

PS.  Good idea to start this thread.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 10:33:37 pm »

Wasn't my idea, but I thought it was a good idea when I saw it, so I did it :P

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 10:40:45 pm »

What's with this No Trade, appearing in the Neighbors window, when choosing a location to embark, never noticed that before.  Ya must TAB to get it to appear, normally that panel shows Temperature and Biome stats, rocks, soil, etc.  Looks something like this:

Dwarf        No Trade
Human      No Trade
Elf            No Trade
Goblin       -----------

I'm thinking I'm too far from a road, but I dunno.  All my Dwarf Civs are clumped in one mtn range there in the central mountain range(left of the black/red areas). All land seems to be attached.  *shrug*  Here is a pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76876257@N03/6894346969/in/photostream/lightbox/

I guess my question is, why doesn't it ever say, "Trade".  Is a --------, okay to embark on, if I want to do some trading?  Thanks, Knutor
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:43:10 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 10:46:37 pm »

"No Trade" means you're trying to embark in an area in which those other civilizations cannot survive outdoors without getting frostbite. The "--------" just means that the Goblins are hostile.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 10:50:46 pm »

"       " Blank in there mean that Trade is possible for that neighbor, as usual?  I'd like to stick to trading for my first anvil, so this worries my expedition leader more or less.  Also, I'm seeing No Trade appear for all three races, while hovering my embark X over roads lines!  How do you explain that, Quietest?  I guess something other than Humans, Elves, and Dwarfs are running down these roads.  Kobolds maybe?  Strange.  I wouldn't object to trading with Kobolds or Goblins if they gave a good price. 

What do you make of No Trade, while over a road?

Okay, this is strange.  No Trade, with Elf, while on a wooded diagonal, right next to an Elf stronghold, ring on map.  Roads on either side of me going up and across, yet No Trade!?!  I hope when Toady fixes the embark filtration system, that he includes Good biomes, or changes Evil to Alignment, and adds a choice to filter by TRADE ROUTE.  This is cornfusing me, which is not hard, since I'm easily cornfused. 

I looked in legends, for this world and almost all, if not everyone of the deaths, were from starvation.  My megabeasts all died off prior to year 100, and never made one reappearance in the following 1148 years.  I gotta work on that, I'm thinking all the deaths from starvation have something to do with the lack of a food Trade.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 11:01:20 pm by knutor »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 04:10:38 am »

I have not seen that yet, but I'm going to check on it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 05:35:59 am »

Somewhere between Running Rivers and Forming Lakes and Mineral Veins, the DF2012 World Generator is a bug.  Its attempting to lay trade routes in here.  Shouldn't there be a separate line in World Gen resembling something like this..

Running Rivers..
Commerce and Trade...
Forming Lakes and Minerals...

I noticed on a successful gen that a road went straight to a non-mtn cave.  How is it that caves are counted seperated from Civs?  Are Kobolds caves in the headcount for Civs or in the headcount for Caves?  I cannot seem to avoid this crash, even by removing all Rivers pre-erosion, or snipping all the Caves.  It still crashes to desktop. 

On another note, we are still suffering from that crop map rejection, too.  Sincerely, Knutor

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 06:00:58 am »

If a human merchant or diplomat turns out to be a vampire... Would (s)he try to feed on your dwarfs? Would your dwarfs kill it?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 422