Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 849770 times)

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2012, 11:50:06 am »

Something changed in worldgen between 34.01 and 34.02. Historical events ran smoothly before, but now it runs exceedingly slow, even on default world options. Have I done something wrong???

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2012, 12:20:52 pm »

I'm a fan of evil / terrifying biomes. But my question is this, I normally have a meat industry set up (birds / bears / whatever i can farm). They are normally pastured underground, but with the changes bringing in zombies is it even possible to have a meat industry in evil biomes anymore? or does everything you kill come back as a zombie?
Some evil biomes reanimate, some don't. I have one evil biome with live grass, freakish rain and no reanimation, and one with normal weather and dead flora that does reanimate. Haven't seen yet how reanimation is transmitted -- is hauling a corpse through a reanimating biome without dropping it enough to start the reanimation process?

How far away does a corpse have to be from an evil biome before it stops rising?
One tile. I have a non-reanimating mountain and a reanimating marsh, and corpses left on a stone floor next to a sand floor didn't do anything for the month I left them there. Moving the corpses to a sand floor saw them up less than a week later.

Further testing is required with regard to z-levels. There's a non-evil mostly-frozen lake on the site, and I'd like to see how the ice tiles compare to the stone tiles beneath and around them. The stone is presumably the same sort underlying the marsh, which means reanimation. Without testing, I'd assume that floors dug from the ice are corpse-safe and floors dug from the stone are not.

Not a clue about how the biome boundaries function above ground in this case.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2012, 01:24:18 pm »

ok, so in adventure mode its telling me to kill a mastermind in the sewer but it directs me to a floor grate, how do i go down it?
Also, how do you get your followers to eat? they seem to be starving to death.
lastly with necromancy if you bring somthing back to life does it ebcome a follower or what? and do you need to ahve taken reader at the start to get it?

1: there are multiple grates, one should let you get down.
2: check new release, 34.02, followers don't dehydrate/starve anymore
3: yes and yes

ok how do i know what grate it is? when i stand on them what do i press to go down? ive tried <, > and U(or u i cant remeber) which is meant ot be the interact with furniture button but none do anything. the one it tells me to go to has an upwards ramp below it but that all i know. (its also made off picthblende so i assume highly radioactive)

also, in all three worlds ive genned since the new release, no armourers have any stock, ever. no matter how many i shop at none have nay stock.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2012, 01:34:59 pm »

ok, so in adventure mode its telling me to kill a mastermind in the sewer but it directs me to a floor grate, how do i go down it?

Look for an alley with a ramp or stairway leading down.

First, while in the [T]ravel screen, search for "Sewer Access."

I still have not seen an grate that allows underground access. Not that I have searched exhaustively. Has anyone?
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2012, 01:45:19 pm »

[/quote]

Look for an alley with a ramp or stairway leading down.

First, while in the [T]ravel screen, search for "Sewer Access."

I still have not seen an grate that allows underground access. Not that I have searched exhaustively. Has anyone?
[/quote]

the objective finder compass thing directs me to this grate, i assme this is just to be ignored then? (the last quest i had like this directed me to a sewer access)

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2012, 02:29:20 pm »

that was officaly the most boring half hour of my life ever.
ispent 30 mintues wandering through a sewer finding only amphibian and reptile men skeletons.
im fairly certain i explored the whole thing and found nothing (although its hard to tell when the map youve uncovered disapears when you move away from it mean that unless i get out a paper and pen and actually draw it, it becomes pretty hard to tell.)

i was told to find an amphibian man criminal mastermind in the sewers, this was the first sewer i could find and inside the whole massive thing the little compass thing told me i was at my destination. are all the sewers under a city linked or am i searcing the worng one OR is there a way to quickly find this guy without enduring THAT again.

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2012, 04:11:15 pm »

ok so i thought i accidently claimed a traders items so i forbided all the items in trade depot

now the traders left all there stuff. are they ganna be mad at me now. or if i dont ever take anything will they stay cool

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2012, 04:18:33 pm »

ok so i thought i accidently claimed a traders items so i forbided all the items in trade depot

now the traders left all there stuff. are they ganna be mad at me now. or if i dont ever take anything will they stay cool

They will likely forgive you once, if things haven't changed.

Next time around, pay them 2x what they ask for their items, and then give them a few donations on top of that.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2012, 04:56:12 pm »

.... i was told to find an amphibian man criminal mastermind in the sewers, this was the first sewer i could find and inside the whole massive thing the little compass thing told me i was at my destination. are all the sewers under a city linked or am i searcing the worng one OR is there a way to quickly find this guy without enduring THAT again.

Several threads exist on the topic of sewer quests, sewer access and difficult-to-reach areas. Check out the Adventurer subform. :)
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Sinlessraptor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2012, 04:58:22 pm »

Since web FB's have been fixed, how dangerous are they?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2012, 05:14:06 pm »

Two migrants had the "great tracker skill"

were-animal?
I never saw that skill before

It was actually present in earlier versions, same as now-- it's just that since it's only given historically, you only ever used to see it (very occasionally) on civ leaders that migrated to your fort.  Now that other migrants can be historical figures, you're seeing it more frequently.  As far as I know, it's not used for anything.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2012, 05:19:57 pm »

Two migrants had the "great tracker skill"

were-animal?
I never saw that skill before

It was actually present in earlier versions, same as now-- it's just that since it's only given historically, you only ever used to see it (very occasionally) on civ leaders that migrated to your fort.  Now that other migrants can be historical figures, you're seeing it more frequently.  As far as I know, it's not used for anything.

If you watch your hunters when they leave your fort, if they are not returning to the site of a wounded animal to finish it off after getting more ammo, you will see them casting around somewhat randomly.  The "Great Tracker" skill might reduce the randomness of their hunting patterns?

This would take a significant degree of testing to verify, or a comment from Toady.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Goldmoon627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2012, 06:13:37 pm »

What would be the best weapon to use against the undead. i'm assuming hammers and/or axes but i haven't tested them yet.
Would be cool if one could order amputations to fight infections.

UristMcComsense: But... But.. It's the head wound that's infected!
UristMcMaddoc: Worth a try.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2012, 09:07:11 pm »

How do I make zombie corpses die, permanently? Just keep killing them 'till they don't come back?

Can I make my dwarves throw the corpse into the volcano?

Assuming your zombies aren't due to necromancers, they'll keep rising basically forever. If you've got a volcano, though, you can through them in by designating it as a garbage dump and then designating the corpses for dumping (I forget the keystrokes, wiki it.)

A more permanent (and FUN) solution might be to make it so your volcano can cleanse the map with lava. Best of luck to you.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2012, 10:17:20 pm »

What would be the best weapon to use against the undead. i'm assuming hammers and/or axes but i haven't tested them yet.
Blunt weapons. All you have to do is break a bone to make them collapse.  Sharp weapons hit organs, to no effect, and sever parts that might reanimate.  Punches, kicks, and shield bashes also work great. 
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 422