Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 847074 times)

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2012, 10:27:28 pm »

Blunt weapons. All you have to do is break a bone to make them collapse.  Sharp weapons hit organs, to no effect, and sever parts that might reanimate.  Punches, kicks, and shield bashes also work great.
I've just decided to embark near 2 necromancer's towers.  Looks like I'll be handing out silver hammers to everyone.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2012, 10:53:39 pm »

Yikes.  I had a nice embark, high up on cliff, between two rivers, in a 5x5, and was all psyched to build a fabjoyous fortress, when my 7th dwarf went missing, not even 1 minute into the game.  He was the hunter.  And he sorta just disappeared off Therapist, and DF.  Now I see a Missing(1) in u list. Noobie cornfusion, here.  There is no u option, in root list where it should be.  That a bug?  No u. 

Well, only a couple of things on the map present at the start, I spend about 15min surveying a spot and checking rock formations.  What critters I saw present: black mamba, hippos, milkfish.  I looked down the river bottoms, to make sure there wasn't one of those sponges, saw nothing and haven't had any luck finding that 7th dwarf, since he poofed.  Got no message.  Since he was sorta a key figure, the hunter.  I just quit.

Q:  Is that supposed to happen?  I mean I didn't even have a robust population yet, in order to hire a Sheriff to investigate. 

To conclude, I spent more time viewing that Dwarf's attributes, setting up his skills during the pregame, and planing his best functions within the squad, than I actually did witnessing him do anything.  That supposed to happen?  Seems illogical if it is.  I'm all for a toggle to make the starting 7 dwarfs immune to whatever it was that just happened here.  Restarting over and over.  Bleh!  That's worse than scumsaving.  Course I guess I could have started with 6.  *shrug*  Would have you?

Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2012, 10:55:55 pm »

Is there any way to engrave slabs for missing dwarfs?  I have two dead dwarfs, one fell to the bottom of a 4z level deep huge lake, and one body just mysteriously disappeared.  Now I have two ghosts that are just sitting there, and I can't engrave slabs for them. 

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2012, 11:25:09 pm »

re: Knutor

Sounds like he probably got killed by something. Maybe by a black mamba, which is venomous? I don't know how deadly their poison is to dwarves yet though. From what I can gather from observation so far in this new release, if no one's actually close enough/in line of sight to see a dwarf get killed, you don't get a message and they just show up as missing until another dwarf pretty much stumbles over the corpse. (Well, you'll get a message after a week that "so and so has been missing for a week." Dunno why you couldn't find him, maybe you just didn't spot him for some reason? No clue.

re: Daishi

I've heard that if you wait a while longer, "missing" dwarves if they aren't found after a while are basically presumed dead, and you can engrave slabs for them (although I don't know if they get listed as "dead" in the dead/missing screen then or still "missing." I haven't yet confirmed this for myself. Although I think I'm going to have to soonish, since I just had a couple miners cave in through some cavern levels and end up drowning, oops.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2012, 11:45:41 pm »

re: Knutor

Sounds like he probably got killed by something. Maybe by a black mamba, which is venomous? I don't know how deadly their poison is to dwarves yet though. From what I can gather from observation so far in this new release, if no one's actually close enough/in line of sight to see a dwarf get killed, you don't get a message and they just show up as missing until another dwarf pretty much stumbles over the corpse. (Well, you'll get a message after a week that "so and so has been missing for a week." Dunno why you couldn't find him, maybe you just didn't spot him for some reason? No clue.

Ahh, thanks Stormie.  That makes sense.  After I quit it, I went back and abandoned it.  Got no message unlike the older version, and immediately thought.. VAMPIRE!!!  Oh crap on the first minutes of gameplay!  Your right, Stormie, Legends confirmed it.  Ineth the Hunter, and the 7th embarker who just up and vanished the minute the game started, from Therapist list and the u list from within DF, DROWNED.  He drowned.  I had a nice high cliff surrounded by a falls and moat, a wonderful fortress spot. I wonder if I can embark, there again.  I gave up thinking I got screwed by some invisible vaporform bloodsucker.  Sincerely, Knutor

PS.  Reading the Legends stories, before embarking in Fortress mode, can be good and can be bad.  In this case, it was very bad, I got myself all sweaty and in fright, about this goblin vampire in here, that is averaging 13 murders/year.  Ya know, what would be truely terrorfying, a kobold vampire.  With that stealth, OMG!  Haven't seen one of those, have you?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:51:43 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2012, 11:58:42 pm »

Is anyone else having problems with corpse ravens? Like many of the new birds they're [SPEED:400], but they're twice as big as crows (ravens are 1200 adult size), which are in turn at least twice the size of the rest of the new birds. One of those things took down a yak, and another broke a civilian's neck.

In this undead state they're like honey badgers that are permanently enraged and flying. God knows what husk ravens would be like.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2012, 01:18:21 am »

Is there any way to engrave slabs for missing dwarfs?  I have two dead dwarfs, one fell to the bottom of a 4z level deep huge lake, and one body just mysteriously disappeared.  Now I have two ghosts that are just sitting there, and I can't engrave slabs for them.

Personalized slabs take 3 steps.  Make blank slab, engrave slab, place slab.  Mason shop / craftdwarf shop/ furniture moving
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2012, 03:19:56 am »

Is anyone else having problems with corpse ravens? Like many of the new birds they're [SPEED:400], but they're twice as big as crows (ravens are 1200 adult size), which are in turn at least twice the size of the rest of the new birds. One of those things took down a yak, and another broke a civilian's neck.

In this undead state they're like honey badgers that are permanently enraged and flying. God knows what husk ravens would be like.

I found it odd too.  I had an ordinary Raven produce a job interruption error.  When the job was Hunt.  So much for being an undercover brother. 

Haven't embarked in an aligned biome, yet.  Thanks for the heads-up on them, I'll play more cautious when I see one of them. 

I know from reading bird books that Ravens and their relatives in the Corvidae family have the 2nd largest brainmass to bodymass, right behind us of anything on the planet.  I would think they would be more brainy, than brawny.  They've been known to break open lifeless carcasses and hard to open seeds, by dropping them on our busy paved roads, to use our vehicles and tires as food producing tools vices, then they swoop down and carry off mashed din-din.

I'm glad Ravens are in the game.   I want a pet hunting Raven in the worst way.

Sincerely, Knutor

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2012, 03:28:09 am »

engrave slabs for missing dwarfs?
Personalized slabs take 3 steps.
Yup.  True.  But what is a dwarf to do when his craftsman menu has no dental records or death cert?  ^ Keyword: Missing.  Farmerbob, until Urist McCSI finds evidence, ya can't engrave a slab from what I am gathering.

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2012, 03:31:14 am »

I know there's been information about this on the wiki but I'm still confused. I generated two worlds, one went into "The Age of the Dwarf" and the other went into "The Dwarven Age"

What's the difference between the two? I found no info on "The Dwarven Age"

At first I assumed it was just "The Age of the Dwarf" renamed for the new version until my brain kicked in and realized I just genned that 10-20 minutes before.

K41N

• Bay Watcher
  • only posts when bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2012, 04:10:17 am »

Sooo, I hadn't played DF in a while and therefore started my new fortress in a calm enviroment. I wanted an easy one. My Fort is now 4 or 5 years old and so far 6 Mega Beasts showed up and disappeared rather quickly without attacking me, which doesn't bother me yet. The thing that bothers me is, just recently the first Goblin ambush happened, after 5 years 5 Goblins appeared and tried to kill my Dwarfes. That's a bit too easy for me, so my question is: Is there gonna be more? I have got Goblins as neighbours and I really DO wanna be sieged at some point. Do I have to start a new fort in an evil biome for that? Or do the Goblins just need more time?

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2012, 04:18:13 am »

Sooo, I hadn't played DF in a while and therefore started my new fortress in a calm enviroment. I wanted an easy one. My Fort is now 4 or 5 years old and so far 6 Mega Beasts showed up and disappeared rather quickly without attacking me, which doesn't bother me yet. The thing that bothers me is, just recently the first Goblin ambush happened, after 5 years 5 Goblins appeared and tried to kill my Dwarfes. That's a bit too easy for me, so my question is: Is there gonna be more? I have got Goblins as neighbours and I really DO wanna be sieged at some point. Do I have to start a new fort in an evil biome for that? Or do the Goblins just need more time?

I could be wrong BUT I don't think Biomes matter in terms of sieges, goblins just have to be able to get to you as far as I know. It's really weird that it was only 5 goblins. Maybe you just picked a location that's hard to get to, I'm not sure. I've had goblin sieges happen with tons of enemies in normal savagery areas and even "good" areas. I'd probably start another fort, seems like something weird is going on in your current one. Save the world just in case and try another one.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2012, 04:50:21 am »

What's the difference between "The Dwarven Age" and "The Age of the Dwarf"?

The age description for both in Legends, seem very similar.  Time when Dwarfs ruled the world. Compared to time when they were major power.  Might have to do with whether they had a King or not as their ruler.  *shrug*
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:11:48 am by knutor »

Seraphyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2012, 05:09:10 am »

What's the difference between "The Dwarven Age" and "The Age of the Dwarf"?

Dwarf Sites vs Dwarf Entity.  That's a great question.  I always wonder about Golden Age.

I'm guessing the later is a non-noble Dwarf, that must have achieved a worthy event.  When a noble Dwarf produces an event, his name goes up there.  I had an Ostrich perform a great deed, and got an Age of the Ostrich.  It didn't last long.  I'm guessing what you have there with The Age of the Dwarf is some lowbred hunter of unknown parentage out killing a minotaur or achieving renown.  As opposed to a Noble or a Dwarf with parents, doing the same thing.  Not sure tho. 

Just a guess.  The Dwarven Age is based on most sites, or most war victories, or something encompassing the entire race, like population.   What do you think Golden Age is?  Most good subregions?

The wiki is kind of vague on most things but it says that the Golden Age is basically a time of peace and expansion after there were wars and battles.

Interesting theory on the Age of the Dwarf. I wish I still had that world so I can upload for confirmation. Unfortunately I let it generate too long and it crashed when it was offloading units or whatever ;s

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2012, 05:13:00 am »

Sorry I edited out that, and changed my post on you Seraphyx.  I spun up a couple dozen worlds to get regions with both Ages, to compare.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 422