Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 847267 times)

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2012, 05:22:24 am »

My pop cap is 40, and I hit it with no vampires coming.

I need a funny way to reduce my population :)

(without causing tantrum spirals and stuff..)

eta: Or not, because DF is ignoring my population cap again. Sigh.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:53:47 am by Yaotzin »

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2012, 05:52:42 am »

engrave slabs for missing dwarfs?
Personalized slabs take 3 steps.
Yup.  True.  But what is a dwarf to do when his craftsman menu has no dental records or death cert?  ^ Keyword: Missing.  Farmerbob, until Urist McCSI finds evidence, ya can't engrave a slab from what I am gathering.

Oh ya, in the new version, he has to stay missing for a while before they give up and say they are dead.  Not sure of the duration, probebly no more than a season.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2012, 05:56:38 am »

Sooo, I hadn't played DF in a while and therefore started my new fortress in a calm enviroment. I wanted an easy one. My Fort is now 4 or 5 years old and so far 6 Mega Beasts showed up and disappeared rather quickly without attacking me, which doesn't bother me yet. The thing that bothers me is, just recently the first Goblin ambush happened, after 5 years 5 Goblins appeared and tried to kill my Dwarfes. That's a bit too easy for me, so my question is: Is there gonna be more? I have got Goblins as neighbours and I really DO wanna be sieged at some point. Do I have to start a new fort in an evil biome for that? Or do the Goblins just need more time?

Are you creating significant wealth?  If you are working on digging out huge amounts of tunnels and storing masses of raw goods in preparation for a megaproject or something, the goblins might just not think you are worth the time.

Start making masses of valuable items, and the goblins will come :)  Except food.  I don't think food counts for created wealth.  But it does let you buy lots of stuff that can be made into bling :)
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2012, 05:59:13 am »

I there are two caps.  One for adult population, the other for children.  The child cap can be set as a fixed number, or a percentage, iirc.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2012, 06:31:15 am »

I there are two caps.  One for adult population, the other for children.  The child cap can be set as a fixed number, or a percentage, iirc.
Yeah I know. My adult cap is at 40, I had 51 pop with I think 4 children. I was comfortably over it. Maybe it only registers your pop when the caravan comes next? I dunno. More dwarves to kill without a tantrum spiral now as still no vamp...

Other question: are artifacts magma safe? I made a granite floodgate, can I use it for my magma resevoir?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2012, 07:07:12 am »

wait for an ambush and zergrush
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2012, 07:15:11 am »

Artifacts are magma "safe". (It will burn if not magma safe, but not be destroyed.)

utuki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2012, 07:58:53 am »

Other question: are artifacts magma safe? I made a granite floodgate, can I use it for my magma resevoir?
Floodgate will be deconstructed but not lost if magma is in it.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2012, 09:06:38 am »

Is the dev page frequently updated ? It seems to me that some features has been implemented already (bandit camps etc.).

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2012, 09:14:33 am »

Is there any way to keep all my idiot children inside so they stop getting kidnapped? Will they obey a burrow?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2012, 09:17:29 am »

Is there any way to keep all my idiot children inside so they stop getting kidnapped? Will they obey a burrow?
Yes. But better yet, a Meeting Place or personal bedrooms. Children congregate at meeting places as they have all the time to play and idle around, only helping with the harvest and deconstruction of constructions.  :)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2012, 09:18:08 am »

In my experience, children don't obey burrows reliably.  Burrows only constrain what jobs a dwarf can do.  Children don't really do jobs, other than deconstructing walls.  If they're just following their mother around, they won't obey burrow designations.

To stop children from getting kidnapped, you need to keep their mothers inside, so the children won't follow their mothers outside.

Back in 40d I built an automatic device to divert children into a safe internal area using pressure plates with carefully chosen weight settings.  This doesn't seem to be possible in the current version due to the changes in how creature size works.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

uggi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2012, 09:34:54 am »

Ineth the Hunter, and the 7th embarker who just up and vanished the minute the game started, from Therapist list and the u list from within DF, DROWNED.  He drowned.  I had a nice high cliff surrounded by a falls and moat, a wonderful fortress spot.

So you have a waterfall there? The dwarwes will try to cross the river using the edge of the waterfall because it has less water, and are swept downstream to their deaths. See bug 5158.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2012, 09:47:11 am »

The old DFhack works with this version or there is a new DFhack version out?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2012, 09:58:00 am »

No and no. Couple days apparently, for a prelim version.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 422