Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 847235 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2012, 10:37:14 am »

Q: Does vampire blood (say stabed by a upright spear) + water + soaking dwarfs in it result in vampire dwarfs?

Q²: What happens if you soak/create children-vampires? Will they never grow up?

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2012, 11:32:10 am »

engrave slabs for missing dwarfs?
Personalized slabs take 3 steps.
Yup.  True.  But what is a dwarf to do when his craftsman menu has no dental records or death cert?  ^ Keyword: Missing.  Farmerbob, until Urist McCSI finds evidence, ya can't engrave a slab from what I am gathering.

Oh ya, in the new version, he has to stay missing for a while before they give up and say they are dead.  Not sure of the duration, probebly no more than a season.
I had a slab for one corpse  could find, but after six years I still could not engrrave a slab for my missing dwarf.  I also had two dwarves die with completely missing bodies.  they apparently died in well trafficed areas, because thats where theirs ghosts are at, but no sign of bodies.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2012, 11:39:27 am »

Can missing dwarves be tracked by the items they have on them? For instance, if you had a miner with a unique pick and made them go missing, could you go into the stocks screen and zoom to that one pick?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

nef

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2012, 11:45:11 am »

In 34, I seem to be having trouble getting dwarves to mine above an up/down staircase.
That is to say, they'll do it, but only after idling and thinking about doing it for a while. They'll immediately go after any designations below, but they prefer to sit and contemplate socks for ~6 in-game days before they'll dig above an up/down staircase. Haven't tried it with simple up stairs, yet.

Anybody else have this problem/know why it occurs? Never happened in 31.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2012, 11:54:22 am »

Can missing dwarves be tracked by the items they have on them? For instance, if you had a miner with a unique pick and made them go missing, could you go into the stocks screen and zoom to that one pick?
Ya. Stocks -> weapons -> hit tab -> find item -> zoom.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2012, 11:55:08 am »

How do I remove corpses of tame animals that died in a cage?

Bloody hell caravans bring a LOT of stuff. Bloody animals die of hunger before I can slaughter them all!

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2012, 11:59:55 am »

You must link the cage to a lever and pul lthe lever.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2012, 12:05:56 pm »

Yeah I tried that :p I ended up with the exact same cage as before - with a corpse in it.

Also, how come my soldier suddenly has a fetish for using his shield to bash heads? He has a sword (even named it), but he still insists on using his shield all the time. It's an artifact one that I specially assigned to him. Is it actually better so he's using it instead? The sword is just some copper junk.

dumping worked, thanks
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:11:19 pm by Yaotzin »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2012, 12:08:51 pm »

Dump the corpse.  Either select it through the stocks menu, or area-select the cage for dumping and then manually cancel the dump designation on just the cage, not the contents.  That should result in your dwarves dumping the corpse, provided you have a garbage zone set.  You may also have to turn on gathering of refuse from outside.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2012, 12:20:06 pm »

Ya. Stocks -> weapons -> hit tab -> find item -> zoom.
Hmm... So, if you were micromanaging enough, you could put important dwarves in a squad and equip them with items unique enough to act as tracking devices. Maybe crossbows made of particular materials; crossbows are wonderful weapons for civilians.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2012, 12:35:17 pm »

Is there any way to look at Legends mode while still in a fort? I come across curious creatures attacking me and I'd like to look them up.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2012, 12:45:59 pm »

Anybody else have this problem/know why it occurs?
I'm thinking what we are seeing is a priority over ride from within the AI.  But I am not positive.  The miner doesn't want to make too many upward digs, as it is dangerous.  He could flood out himself and his comrads, void all his prior work, by breaching a water block-aquifer.  In addition to that, I'm also thinking dwarfs tend to prioritize deeper jobs, over shallow jobs.  I notice your described behavior in my miners, too.  Skill doesn't seem to change the job choices, priorities or break times.  Attributes might change the break times, or rest, food, and drink.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2012, 12:55:48 pm »

Is there any way to look at Legends mode while still in a fort? I come across curious creatures attacking me and I'd like to look them up.

Not without abandoning the fortress.  What you can do is make a copy of the entire save region folder, open that copy, abandon and look at legends mode in that, while keeping your original save game in fortress mode.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2012, 12:56:50 pm »

No (Though I haven't messed around with the XML dump, so I'm not quite sure how that works yet). What you can do is copy your save file, abandon in the copy, and then use it as a legends mode while still keeping your fort going in the original save.

Nnja'd :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2012, 01:01:44 pm »

What makes better armor, bone or leather?  Or maybe some combination of the two? 

I'm playing a fortress where I'm not doing any blacksmithing so I've got to make due with the cheaper stuff.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 422