Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 847222 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2012, 01:03:49 pm »

Q: result in vampire dwarfs?

Q²: will they never grow up?

A & A2: I'll take a stab at this.  I haven't witnessed it transfered through boots, yet.  Somehow an ordinary Dwarf will defile a god, I'm thinking thru the ownership of dwarf crafts, jewelry which specifically names a certain god, found in the jewelry's title and description.  When this is done, I believe that god curses them, as a result.  I've seen Human Gods give Dwarfs vampirism.  But I haven't bumped into a child vampire in Legends, yet.  By their nature of immortality and stuff, I betcha they come out, born full grown for simplicity sake.  After all what foolish baby snatcher is gonna snatch one?  Know what I mean?  Saw a Goblin Vampire.  Saw Lycanthrope transfered in combat, via a bite.  Not sure if it was an actual bite attack or just an event, bite.  Hard to tell in Legends.  Even harder to tell when a full moon occurs, to isolate more events like that.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2012, 01:08:45 pm »

What makes better armor, bone or leather?  Or maybe some combination of the two? 

Use both types for the hit areas with a custom uniform, that include them both.

I try and conserve my leather for leather armor, quivers and backpacks.  I reuse loin clothes, since legs are loosable, and bone for important areas like xbow, hands and head.  Heads and heads are not loosable.  I never use bone for ammo.  The small stack size, creates too many needless footfalls and annoying no ammo error msgs.  When I start getting goblinite copper bp, I put them both on.  Copper bp and leather armor.  Same with goblinite copper caps, I put that on with a bone helmet or leather helmet.  Bone helmets will cover what that smaller cap doesn't. 

I use wooden shields, instead of leather.  For some reason I tend to get stuff in this quantities.  Bone>wood>leather.  Until I get a few broker trades under my belt.

Take care, Knutor
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:13:32 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2012, 01:11:30 pm »

Use both types for the hit areas with custom uniforms, that include them both. 

I try and conserve my leather for chests areas, quivers and backpacks.  Reuse loin clothes and bone for important areas like xbow, hands and head.  I never use bone for ammo.  The small quiver size, creates too many needless, footfalls and error msgs.  When I start getting copper bp, I put them both on.  copper bp and leather armor.  Same with copper cap, I put that on with bone helmet.  bone helmet will cover what that smaller cap doesn't. 

Take care, Knutor

Is there a downside to wearing two sets of armor at the same time?  Seems a little odd.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2012, 01:17:41 pm »

I think I discovered what happens to a vampire when he doesn't feed : He gets tired.
Can someone comfirm this?
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2012, 01:18:31 pm »

Boon: I am thinking movement rates. 

As greaves would provide better movement than leggings, but no thigh coverage.  And loincloth would provide better movement than greaves and leggings, but no thigh and ankle coverage.  Agility and injuries were said to determine move rates.  Its possible in this game to move while missing both legs, however.  LOL  But ya can't fight without a head, arms or hands.

Armr weights should be involved, and negligible, once a backpack is equiped.  That's how I would write it, not sure tho how Toady wrote it.  Maybe someone more intelligent knows.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2012, 01:23:01 pm »

In a recent test with a squad clad in metal armor and one in metal armor suplemented with leather (hood, cloak, trousers, gloves and cloth socks), the ones with the extra layer came out  as far superior, iirc.

Ofcourse, a copper helm is better than a bone helm, but if you're pressed for resources, any helm is better than no helm. Extra layers really do help, a lot, to protect your precious militairy.

The weight will mainly be an issue for untrained recruits. As the armor user skill increases, their speed will too, is what I heard.

Vampires:
To become a vampire, your dwarfs would need to drink the blood. Since they don't drink water contaminated with blood, I don't think you'll succeed. Merely being covered in the stuff will have no effect whatsoever
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:24:52 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

K41N

• Bay Watcher
  • only posts when bored
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2012, 01:27:08 pm »

Well thanks for your answers, guys. I don't really wanna start a new Fort, but that seems the only option. I'm creating a significant amount of wealth, I mean, my Fort has allready been made a Count, so.... I guess maybe my Fort IS hard to reach

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2012, 01:31:51 pm »

I think I discovered what happens to a vampire when he doesn't feed : He gets tired.
Can someone comfirm this?

Ask in adventure mode. The people there probably know more about how vampires work, since the indirect observation in fortress mode is not quite the same level.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2012, 02:12:29 pm »

My pop cap is 40, and I hit it with no vampires coming.

I need a funny way to reduce my population :)

(without causing tantrum spirals and stuff..)

eta: Or not, because DF is ignoring my population cap again. Sigh.

I there are two caps.  One for adult population, the other for children.  The child cap can be set as a fixed number, or a percentage, iirc.
Yeah I know. My adult cap is at 40, I had 51 pop with I think 4 children. I was comfortably over it. Maybe it only registers your pop when the caravan comes next? I dunno. More dwarves to kill without a tantrum spiral now as still no vamp...

Other question: are artifacts magma safe? I made a granite floodgate, can I use it for my magma resevoir?

I believe artifacts are indestructable.  Never tried to use one for holding magma though.  You will have to make sure than any mechanisms in the system are magma proof materials though, at the very least.

**EDIT**
I have been corrected - see below.

Artifacts are (as of 0.25) not destroyable by beasts, but apparently they can be destroyed by atom smashing, lava, or anything else that can instantly destroy items.  Presumably, a lava safe material artifact would survive lava just fine.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:19:15 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2012, 02:16:14 pm »

Artifacts can be destroyed by magma.  I have had artifact floor hatches made from non-magma-safe rock simply melt when exposed to magma.  Artifacts can't be destroyed by fire or wear, but they can be destroyed by anything that destroys an object instantly, including atomsmashing, cave-ins, and melting in magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

daishi5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2012, 02:20:23 pm »

Can missing dwarves be tracked by the items they have on them? For instance, if you had a miner with a unique pick and made them go missing, could you go into the stocks screen and zoom to that one pick?
Ya. Stocks -> weapons -> hit tab -> find item -> zoom.
Hmm... So, if you were micromanaging enough, you could put important dwarves in a squad and equip them with items unique enough to act as tracking devices. Maybe crossbows made of particular materials; crossbows are wonderful weapons for civilians.
  I had two problems (lost the fort) one dwarf was dead and I knew where the body was, but couldnt get an dwarfs close enough to see without draining the lake.  Then I had two dwarves die that I cant find any body for, but both have ghosts who hang out at the location of their death.  They seem to have died at my front entrance, where I have eight dwarves constantly training, and the other apparently died in my central stairwell.  I can't imagine no onesaw their corpses (unless kobolds killed them and stole their corpses :)  ).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2012, 02:54:19 pm »

gem windows from any "gem" including ones nt normally transparant still work as window right?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 20, 2012, 02:56:24 pm »

What happens if the outpost liaison gets killed? I had some kind of goblin general ambush him :(

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2012, 03:09:10 pm »

If I lock a vampire in a room, with doors linked to a lever...
Will it still be there after abandoning the fortress, so I can send an adventurer to combat it? I'm thinking about creating an über-foe for adventure mode this way, by equipping the vampire with artefacts and training him up in a danger room.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nef

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 20, 2012, 03:26:43 pm »

I just had a human child appear in the middle of my fort, got a message like a 31 FB/Titan. He is listed as friendly in the units list.

Is this a bug? or somehow intended?

[reference images: 1 (where the child appeared), 2 (message on the announcements screen)]

EDIT: he promptly left my fort, scattering dwarves and animals in his wake. I don't know what to make of this.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:28:22 pm by nef »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 422