Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 847109 times)

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #180 on: February 22, 2012, 03:43:42 pm »

I decided to read about the world's Legends, and most people talk about generating an XML - so I did that. The XML file is currently just shy of 100 MB in size and still growing; is this normal?

Also, what tool do people typically use to read the Legends XML? I was planning on using Notepad++, but it can't open files that big.
You should definitely try Legends Viewer. 100MB is perfectly normal; someone on that thread had an xml file of 2.53 gigs, and that worked fine.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 22, 2012, 03:56:11 pm »

I got a gigantic hadrosaurid with deadly dust. How does dust work, and how am I supposed to judge how dangerous a FB is?

Deadly dust carries syndromes and can supposedly blow creatures around as if by cavein (haven't actually seen this myself...).  Deadly dust is to be avoided if at all possible.

The forgotten beast will use its dust attack periodically as it fights anything close to it.  Creatures will get coated in dust, and although armor and clothing will help protect against it, they'll probably get infected with the syndrome anyway.

The syndrome can be up to a few different effects, possibly with a delay.  These effects can be anything from dizziness to rotting skin to having both lungs rot and all but instantly killing your dwarves who get exposed.

There is no really safe way to judge the danger of a FB's syndromes.  The only way to do it without endangering a dwarf is to lure it to an animal that will get the syndrome without dying to melee too quickly, which is a chore.  It's usually far better to find ways to deal with forgotten beasts at range or with more elaborate traps.  Sending in your military to kill them in melee might work just great against one FB, but end up killing your entire fort on another because of the syndromes.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 22, 2012, 06:45:23 pm »

from what I remember of the dev logs, vampires never sleep, they only feign sleep to trick others into thinking they're alive.
Dwarves who need sleep register as either Drowsy or Exhausted.
Tiredness (and later Over-Exertion) is caused by... combat? Clothing? There's only a little information on the status on the wiki.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 22, 2012, 07:41:57 pm »

Requesting Sticky on this thread.

The previous "little questions" thread wasn't stickied, and there was never any shortage of activity in it.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

InfiniVide

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 22, 2012, 08:16:45 pm »

I'm wondering what sort of transformations your adventurer can undergo in the new version.  I've already made one a necromancer and I'd like to have them become a vampire as well.  Is it also possible to become one of the were- animals I see in Legends mode?  And beyond that, is there anything else that can happen to you?

Also, is it possible for your adventurer themselves to journey into the depths of the world?

Goldmoon627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2012, 08:23:07 pm »

Necromancers... are they supposed to come in groups or am i just REALLY unlucky?\

*Speechless* they... They just killed my resident Vampire... Arn't they supposed to have [NO_PAIN] and someother buffs?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:26:50 pm by Goldmoon627 »
Would be cool if one could order amputations to fight infections.

UristMcComsense: But... But.. It's the head wound that's infected!
UristMcMaddoc: Worth a try.

JonesAlpha

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 23, 2012, 07:00:35 am »

I have been training a pair of dwarfs on gem cutting and gem setting by having one cut an abundant stone into cabochons.  The Setter puts it onto my low grade finished goods, and I get slightly more valuable trade goods, less stone clutter, and skill in gem setting and cutting.

This seems to be working rather well for me, except for one thing: I cannot seem to find what in the gem stockpile the cabochons are.    See, I tried to set up a jeweler's workshop in the middle of a bunch of stone, and I put a gem stockpile next to him, and my dwarfs started bringing jewels from all over the place - which I didn't want.  My question is: what is the item on the jewel stockpile list that identifies the cabochons?  Since they are not identified by stone type in the list, I have no idea which one it it.

I think I've deducted that it is in the rough gem list, as I put a rough and cut gem stockpiles next to each other, and the cabochons got moved to the rough side, but they were also low quality cabochons.  Maybe it changes at higher qualities...

I've looked pretty much everywhere I can think of for an answer, but no luck.  The wiki hasn't really been updated to incorporate this new area, and these forums don't seem to have the information.  I'm at a loss.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 23, 2012, 07:08:43 am »

It's quite possible it simply isn't there. Being a new feature Toady may well have simply forgot to put it in any of the stockpile lists.

You could try make a gem stockpile and disable all the normal gem types, and see if the stone ones still get put in.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:11:01 am by Yaotzin »

Olix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 23, 2012, 07:26:14 am »

I want to maximize FPS in my game. Does putting items into bins help, or do I have to atomsmash them/trade them away?

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 23, 2012, 08:06:11 am »

So I found some world gen parameters that I like but for one thing: they always seem to have the magma sea at ~level 50 tops. I'd like more levels to work with, like 0-150. What influences this?

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 23, 2012, 09:16:31 am »

Will all evil areas have an evil rain?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 23, 2012, 10:16:49 am »

No. And not all evil areas reanimate the dead either.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 23, 2012, 12:01:10 pm »

ok so a mummy threw me across a room and i exploded, is it possible to throw enemies as an adventurer now?

now that there is site/object memory thingy, if i dump some armour in places will it stay there if i make a new adventurer and look there?

can i make a band of 16 people, 1 of whom im playing as and 15 who are previous adventurers?

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 23, 2012, 12:09:51 pm »

Any chance of limiting the number of migrants in a wave? I'm ok with a 200 dwarf max pop, and I'm ok with children, I just don't want 20-40 coming at a time. 5-15 per wave would be doable...

I doubt this is controllable though.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 23, 2012, 12:13:00 pm »

ok so a mummy threw me across a room and i exploded, is it possible to throw enemies as an adventurer now?

now that there is site/object memory thingy, if i dump some armour in places will it stay there if i make a new adventurer and look there?

can i make a band of 16 people, 1 of whom im playing as and 15 who are previous adventurers?

1- yes, but it's always been possible. You just need to be way bigger and stronger than your opponent for it to work.

2- yes, that's the way it should work, but I've never tested it.

3- yes, theoretically, but the more awesome your previous adventurers the less likely they'll join you (until you start doing amazing things yourself.) You'll also have to be pretty amazing just to get 16 companions in the first place.

Any chance of limiting the number of migrants in a wave? I'm ok with a 200 dwarf max pop, and I'm ok with children, I just don't want 20-40 coming at a time. 5-15 per wave would be doable...

I doubt this is controllable though.

Yeah, migrant waves size is hardcoded. Your best bet is to set the pop cap low to start, then raise it whenever you're ready for another wave.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 422