Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 847125 times)

Valience

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #195 on: February 23, 2012, 01:03:08 pm »

So, I have a justice system going. Captain of the Guard, hammerer, and about 15 jail cells for my 50 pop fort.

One of my dwarfs broke a production order of the mayor. Big whoop, I figure, he'll get a couple months in jail or something. But no, I turn around and they're laying dead in the jail cell after my hammerer killed them. Has anyone else noticed this type of nonsense? Capital punishment for not completing a production order? Seems a little on the "completely effing retarded"/bug side.

If it had been a legendary dorf you can bet I'd be ragin' and save scumming, at any rate.
Regardless of what I said previously, DF elves don't chop. They merely coax the wood out of a tree in a manner which is probably sexual. So yes, they are terrible, terrible beings.

Antonater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 23, 2012, 01:15:25 pm »

if i am cursed by a mummy in adventure mode is there any way to get rid of it?
does it go away if i kill the mummy because it seems pretty cripiling, anytime i get a curse i immediatley cant hit anything and die soon after.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 23, 2012, 01:50:53 pm »

Can't seem to remember this, so I guess I'll ask here.

Can doors be attached to windows?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Valience

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 23, 2012, 02:13:39 pm »

According to the wiki page for windows, they don't act as supports for doors or stuff above them.
Regardless of what I said previously, DF elves don't chop. They merely coax the wood out of a tree in a manner which is probably sexual. So yes, they are terrible, terrible beings.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 23, 2012, 02:42:54 pm »

According to the wiki page for windows, they don't act as supports for doors or stuff above them.
Darn.
Guess my guards will have to remain somewhat blind to the going-ons right outside their front door.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 23, 2012, 03:14:36 pm »

I want to maximize FPS in my game. Does putting items into bins help, or do I have to atomsmash them/trade them away?

In my experience, neither is particularly effective.  However, there's the potential for slight improvement with destruction, but almost no potential (that I can see) to be gained from binning.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 23, 2012, 03:21:53 pm »

@Olix, Turning back reporting to Some Alerts, from All Alerts, I've found to help with the interface lag, and desktop crashes when mouse wheeling zoom.  Removing of the Repeat feature from within keybinds, will aid in running more smoothly, but it'll require more clicks.  Toss up, I guess.

They say turning historical entities on during adv world gen, shortens the save pauses.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 23, 2012, 03:32:26 pm »

Is it normal for the elves not to bring wagons? I get them for dwarves/humans.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 23, 2012, 04:47:23 pm »

I seem to have a necromancer that keeps raising himself as a zombie (also his hand keeps raising itself).  Is this normal on a non-evil biome?

If I keep smashing them whenever they get up will they eventually be put down for good, or do I have to toss the bits of them into a special undead hole and ignore them?
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 23, 2012, 05:24:16 pm »

Elves don't ever bring wagons because their entity file isn't set up for it.

Did the material sizes fix cause adamantine items to require as many wafers as they did in 40d?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 23, 2012, 05:28:17 pm »

I'm wondering what sort of transformations your adventurer can undergo in the new version.  I've already made one a necromancer and I'd like to have them become a vampire as well.  Is it also possible to become one of the were- animals I see in Legends mode?  And beyond that, is there anything else that can happen to you?

Also, is it possible for your adventurer themselves to journey into the depths of the world?

I've had an adventurer become a vampire, then read a slab and become a vampire necromancer. Haven't had one become a werecreature, though. But I haven't encountered one in were form.

I've also had a different adventurer find a lair in a cave that had ramps downward that eventually led into caverns. Managed to get myself royally lost. It took me hours or wandering around to finally find the way back out. This was back in 31.25 so I didn't need food/water. But I think I encountered enough wildlife and lakes that I could have survived indefinitely down there in 34.02. Maybe with enough searching downward I could have found more interesting areas, but it might have taken ages. It's very difficult to navigate, since you keep forgetting the maps of areas you wandered away from, and there is no way to tell how deep you are.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 23, 2012, 05:36:23 pm »

Darn.
Guess my guards will have to remain somewhat blind to the going-ons right outside their front door.

Nope, this will work:

Code: [Select]

WWW WWW
FFFDFFF

W= windows
F= walls that have been carved into fortifications.
D = door
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:30:05 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 23, 2012, 07:16:30 pm »

Nope, this will work:

WWWWWWW
FFFDFFF

W= windows
D = door

Pray tell, what is the purpose of that door? Dwarves cannot yet launch themselves through a window like they're in a Wild West saloon brawl, so that door appears to be about as useful as a third nipple on a caterpillar.

Unless I'm missing something.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 23, 2012, 07:29:51 pm »

Nope, this will work:

WWW WWW
FFFDFFF

W= windows
D = door

Pray tell, what is the purpose of that door? Dwarves cannot yet launch themselves through a window like they're in a Wild West saloon brawl, so that door appears to be about as useful as a third nipple on a caterpillar.

Unless I'm missing something.

Ack sorry.  Fixed it
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 23, 2012, 07:47:41 pm »

xD No need to apologise. I was wondering if that was a typo or if there was actually some odd glitchFEATURE that allowed Dwarves to walk through windows adjacent to doors.

It wouldn't be the first time there was something odd like that, after all.

Now that I think about it, if they COULD get launched through the windows that'd be freaking awesome.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 422