Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 847082 times)

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #210 on: February 24, 2012, 02:38:15 am »

Has it ever been clarified whether battle axes are 1 or 2 handed? The wiki doesn't really specify.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 24, 2012, 06:41:01 am »

Has it ever been clarified whether battle axes are 1 or 2 handed? The wiki doesn't really specify.

I believe if you try to equip a dwarf in the arena with a battle axe and shield, they will drop the shield.  I haven't messed with the arena since it was first introduced though.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 24, 2012, 07:45:36 am »

Has anyone been able to stop a world gen in progress?

I'm genning a pocket region hoping to get closer to 5k years but it looks like I"ll need to stop early as I'm only at 1.5k.  Enter and Esc don't seem to work like they used to.

Is it the complexity of the world, my machine, or does esc/enter actually not work anymore?

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #213 on: February 24, 2012, 09:15:42 am »

I'm genning a pocket region hoping to get closer to 5k years but it looks like I"ll need to stop early as I'm only at 1.5k.  Enter and Esc don't seem to work like they used to.

Is it the complexity of the world, my machine, or does esc/enter actually not work anymore?
I've stopped several medium-sized world gens at year 1, so it's possible with 34.02. What happens when you press Esc/Enter? It could just be taking a while to process the command if you have a slow computer like I do.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 24, 2012, 12:20:57 pm »

First question: Do questions in this thread have to be specific to the new version? :P The other thread's dropped back a few pages, so I'm guessing not.

If not, second question: Does decorating an object with heavy material change its weight?
If that one's a yes, well I think with the new metal bar costs for weapons, I will mod in wooden clubs and decorate them with iron, thus making a (possibly) viable option for metal-lacking settlements...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 24, 2012, 12:28:21 pm »

I've stopped several medium-sized world gens at year 1, so it's possible with 34.02. What happens when you press Esc/Enter? It could just be taking a while to process the command if you have a slow computer like I do.

It does what it used to in DF2010, it goes to "Not Responding", but in DF2010 eventually it would pick back up and respond to my ESC/Enter.  This version doesn't seem to do that when it's getting further along.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #216 on: February 24, 2012, 12:38:15 pm »

It does what it used to in DF2010, it goes to "Not Responding", but in DF2010 eventually it would pick back up and respond to my ESC/Enter.  This version doesn't seem to do that when it's getting further along.
Yeah, I get that 'Not Responding' bit too, but after the first few times of me JUST about to click the End Task on the Task Manager and it progresses I basically just step away and do something and come back in a few minutes. That usually does the trick.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 24, 2012, 12:52:50 pm »

First question: Do questions in this thread have to be specific to the new version? :P The other thread's dropped back a few pages, so I'm guessing not.

If not, second question: Does decorating an object with heavy material change its weight?
If that one's a yes, well I think with the new metal bar costs for weapons, I will mod in wooden clubs and decorate them with iron, thus making a (possibly) viable option for metal-lacking settlements...

Ideally DF 2012v0.34.  Most people will be playing this version after a couple patches come out in any case.  However any safe-for-work DF-related question is fair game.  If it's too far afield then one should be prepared to deal with forum snarkiness and sarcasm.  If it's way out of line, then the moderation team will handle it :P

**EDIT

Not certain about the studding question in relation to weapon mass.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:54:50 pm by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 24, 2012, 01:11:12 pm »

I have a vague memory that yes, it did effect item weight, but was so negligible as to be useless. Or maybe I'm imagining remembering that.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 24, 2012, 01:43:15 pm »

Battle axes are one-handed for 38 out of 49 dwarves and unwieldable by 1 in 49 dwarves. Full data below.

48/49 can one-hand: war hammer, short sword, mace, morningstar, scimitar, training sword (37500 size)
38/49 can one-hand: battle axe, spear, pick, flail, training axe, training spear (47500 size)
31/49 can one-hand: long sword (57500 size)
3/49 can one-hand: pike, halberd, two-handed sword, maul, great axe (77500 size)

1/49 cannot wield: war hammer, short sword, mace, morningstar, scimitar, training sword (32500 size)
(Edited three-and-a-half months later: the above should be 0/49, as somehow I managed to miss that 32500 < 33750 despite being able to work everything else out.)
1/49 cannot wield: battle axe, pick, flail, training axe, training spear (42500 size)
11/49 cannot wield: long sword (52500 size)
17/49 cannot wield: pike, halberd, two-handed sword, maul, great axe (62500 size)

49/49 can wield one-handed: whip, crossbow, bow, blowgun, large dagger, scourge
Spears are a special case, with a relatively large one-handed size of 47500 but a very small minimum size of 5000.

Seems odd that almost a quarter of dwarves can't wield a shield plus an axe or spear (or pick or flail, but those are less common options). I got these figures by taking the 60000 dwarven racial average and then multiplying it by each combination of height and broadness modifiers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 08:17:46 pm by Sutremaine »
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2012, 01:48:41 pm »

Actually, looking in item_weapon.txt it appears that the MINIMUM_SIZE for the spear is only 5k, to allow animalmen to use them. So worst case scenario, everyone can use a spear. Other than that, looks accurate.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 24, 2012, 01:57:39 pm »

Tch, and I was looking directly at the raws to work this out. I'll go back and alter it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #222 on: February 24, 2012, 02:18:52 pm »

Man, it'd suck to be that ONE Dwarf who couldn't 1H a friggin' training sword. Then again, considering how big a fortress can get there's probably more than one.

I can just imagine it now 'Two Hands Anonymous.' "Hi everyone, my name's Urist McNoodlearms, and I have to two hand a wooden plank."

Blurk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 24, 2012, 04:23:45 pm »

Is it normal that my dwarves refuse to make metal chains?

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 24, 2012, 04:29:30 pm »

Is it normal that my dwarves refuse to make metal chains?

If it's like it was in earlier versions, metal chains require the metal crafting labor to be enabled, even though they're furniture.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 422