Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 847152 times)

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #225 on: February 24, 2012, 04:53:45 pm »

I just lost a bucket full of lye. Is there a chance I could find it back?
I started on a frozen biome and didn't think twice about building my Ashery outside. Resulting in the only Lye I can make in a year being frozen. Now I thought to try to get it back in by building my Soap Maker inside and ordering him to make soap but when I tried to order soap I couldn't. So I checked my stocks for the Lye and it was gone... Did Urist McSomebody just dump it from the bucket without saying?
"Gullydwarf cancels play Dwarf Fortress. Interrupted by stray female."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 24, 2012, 06:48:28 pm »

Man, it'd suck to be that ONE Dwarf who couldn't 1H a friggin' training sword. Then again, considering how big a fortress can get there's probably more than one.
It gets weirder. Spears have a minimum size requirement of 5000 but training spears have a minimum size requirement of 42500.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 24, 2012, 07:24:23 pm »

Man, it'd suck to be that ONE Dwarf who couldn't 1H a friggin' training sword. Then again, considering how big a fortress can get there's probably more than one.
It gets weirder. Spears have a minimum size requirement of 5000 but training spears have a minimum size requirement of 42500.

Well, training weapons are often made heavier so the trainee will build up muscle using them. :)
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #228 on: February 24, 2012, 07:27:43 pm »

I started on a frozen biome and didn't think twice about building my Ashery outside. Resulting in the only Lye I can make in a year being frozen. Now I thought to try to get it back in by building my Soap Maker inside and ordering him to make soap but when I tried to order soap I couldn't. So I checked my stocks for the Lye and it was gone... Did Urist McSomebody just dump it from the bucket without saying?

The lye is probably frozen.  It's not usable when frozen, and won't be moved to a stockpile because there is no stockpile for frozen lye.  You need to make a dump zone inside, then find the lye (inspect every bucket till you find the one full of frozen lye) and then dump it.  Once it's dumped inside, the lye should thaw, and then you can reclaim and use it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 24, 2012, 07:44:25 pm »

More of a general question, but if a dwarf does not have nerve damage, only fractured bones, will his limbs always heal back to usability in time?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 24, 2012, 07:51:38 pm »

Not a question -- more of a comment.  I've got a new immigrant dwarf:

She is married to Rith Yearlinglashed and has 12 children: ....

That's a lot of kids.  Let's look at her relationships:

Dan Anrizishen Zalud Aval       Deity

Who dat?

Dan Skypassions the Future of Loving is a deity of The Polished Lashes. Dan most often takes the form of a male dwarf and is associated with the weather and pregnancy.

Oh.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Gullydwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 24, 2012, 10:39:03 pm »

The lye is probably frozen.  It's not usable when frozen, and won't be moved to a stockpile because there is no stockpile for frozen lye.  You need to make a dump zone inside, then find the lye (inspect every bucket till you find the one full of frozen lye) and then dump it.  Once it's dumped inside, the lye should thaw, and then you can reclaim and use it.

Ok, I went over my buckets again (we have only three), and did not find any lye...
Do you have any more suggestions?
"Gullydwarf cancels play Dwarf Fortress. Interrupted by stray female."

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 24, 2012, 10:41:21 pm »

Ok, I went over my buckets again (we have only three), and did not find any lye...

I know that buckets used to get emptied of water when a milking job happened.  Maybe this occurs with lye as well?

Do your dwarves have any milking jobs?
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 24, 2012, 11:57:18 pm »

Question:
Is it still possible to mass dump caged goblin weapons and armor in 34.02? I tried d-b-d over the caged prisoner stockpile, then used k to un-dump each cage, but nobody did anything.

EDIT: oops, I might have forgotten to claim the dumped items.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 12:43:13 am by GoldenShadow »

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 25, 2012, 07:24:15 am »

Not specific to this version I suppose, but can Dwarfs who can't grasp anymore wrestle?
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 25, 2012, 08:18:37 am »

It's not in the stocks screen anywhere? Also, when you dump the lye, you need to make sure only the container is selected. If you dump by using d-b-d then the dwarves will take it out of the container and dump the solid lye on the ground.

Perhaps it was created liquid and remained liquid long enough to make it to a barrel, and froze in there.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #236 on: February 25, 2012, 09:49:49 am »

How does grazing on snow work?The wiki doesn't mention it in the grazing article.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 25, 2012, 09:52:25 am »

How does grazing on snow work?The wiki doesn't mention it in the grazing article.
It's grass you should look for, not snow. If you've embarked on a snowy biome, then go dig until the caverns and wait for underground grass to grow...underground.

You cannot graze on snow, both in DF and Reality.  ;)

Edit to reply below: Snow will melt if you just embarked on a 'temperate' zone. Don't worry, it will melt to reveal the greenness of the land.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:57:53 am by Tiruin »

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #238 on: February 25, 2012, 09:56:49 am »

Eh, it's temperate, and it's early spring. Maybe the snow will melt soon?

I haven't broken into the caverns yet, so I don't know how dangerous it is, so I'm hesitant to do so.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 25, 2012, 10:50:34 am »

Snow is just a covering on a tile and doesn't do anything but conceal the underlying surface. If there's grass under the snow you're good for grazing.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 422