Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 847077 times)

Will_Tuna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #240 on: February 25, 2012, 10:51:43 am »

Q: How do i vieuw what the 'cloud of nefirious ash' does that passes by in my site?
True story: In the year 2007: Surinder Singh Bajwa, the Deputy Mayor of Delhi, India, was warding off several Rhesus Macaque monkeys at his home and fell from a first-floor balcony, suffering serious head injuries. He later died from his injuries.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 25, 2012, 11:01:29 am »

hope it strikes an animal, it may be a bit dangerous to send a volunteer in
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 25, 2012, 02:12:35 pm »

How does this new justice system work?

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 25, 2012, 03:07:10 pm »

What happens if you sleep in someone's house without permission?
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 25, 2012, 03:30:05 pm »

you'll wake up immediately in a conversation with someone to ask for permission. It's more a "waking someone up" than sleeping in someone's house without them knowing.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #245 on: February 25, 2012, 03:43:57 pm »

you'll wake up immediately in a conversation with someone to ask for permission. It's more a "waking someone up" than sleeping in someone's house without them knowing.

Or the more buggy wake up in the middle of nowhere.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2012, 08:47:47 pm »

Or the more buggy wake up in the middle of nowhere.

Or on the roof. That's always fun.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2012, 08:49:47 pm »

If I build a road to the edge of the map, would traders and migrants show up at that spot instead of somewhere else? I'd like to have them appear on my non-evil plains instead of the evil desert....
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2012, 09:58:38 pm »

How does this new justice system work?

View the justice screen as usual, and you can scroll down through the various current crimes (and anyone who's been punished or is in line for punishment). Press enter while you're viewing a case that someone hasn't been punished for, yet, and you can select someone to punish. I think shelling "justice" out for people who don't deserve it might tick off your dwarves, though.

If you're lucky, the crime will have had a few eyewitnesses, which are noted in the crime's info, and anyone accused will be at the top of list of people you can choose to punish. Just be careful because sometimes the criminal himself will accuse someone. "Someone" in this case can even be an animal for now (giving you a good idea of who really did it), but that's supposed to be fixed in the next release.

I don't know how mandates not being met works, I'm assuming nobles will still choose someone to punish themselves rather than letting you do it, but I'm not sure. Other than that... hammerers are back in, and can be assigned from the start. I haven't had much luck getting them to actually give hammerstrikes though, my captain of the guard still usually seems to smack the criminal around. (I ended up un-designating my cages used as prisons, since that basically just seemed to make vampires I locked in them go out and drain more dwarves dry as soon as they got out, anyhow.)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2012, 10:03:04 pm »

If I build a road to the edge of the map, would traders and migrants show up at that spot instead of somewhere else? I'd like to have them appear on my non-evil plains instead of the evil desert....

IF the current version is similar to previous versions, and I don't see any reason to suppose that it isn't, then building a road doesn't directly affect where traders and migrants show up.  They will show up anywhere that they can path to your fortress*.  If, by building a road, you give them a path when they otherwise wouldn't have one, they'll show up there-- otherwise, they won't.

*Actual decisions of where they show up are determined up to a year in advance of actually showing up.  If you've changed the map layout during that time, they can show up someplace without path.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 25, 2012, 10:05:18 pm »

Nope, migrants and liaisons are stupid. What you can do is do a bunch of digging to get them funnelled into subterranean corridors ASAP, though you'll need traps or something there to stop stuff from wandering in and forming an unwelcome welcome party. With a reanimating biome the corridor gets even more fun, and you might need to set up a minifortress there with guards and haulers. Barracks are a pretty good way of guarding one place, since you can leave the whole squad there 24/7 and they'll train when nothing's attacking. Make sure you have waterskins if you do this; they remove 2 out of 3 visits to the booze stockpile and reduced the third to a walk there and back. Waterskin-filling is instant, drinking from the barrel isn't.

Wagons will only spawn on tiles that have a path to your fortress and had a path to the wagon on embark (the embark path is not affected by trees). You can block off the whole edge except the part you want them to spawn at. You can't build walls right up to the edge, but you can use existing trees, build a raising bridge, or dig a ha-ha. The rest of the caravan will use the wagon's spawn point.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

drivec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 26, 2012, 02:49:56 am »

do dwarves get buried with their equipment say like a woodcutter?

cant seem to find his battleaxe and now iam haveing a FUN getting wood without an axe lol

edit: found it....
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:03:00 am by drivec »

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 26, 2012, 05:51:57 am »

Whats the best animal to breed and farm to get the most product from it?
Meat to eat
Fat to make soap
Wool to shear and make yarn
bones to make bone bolts
Fast breeding and fast growing.
What other qualities would be good to have.
I brought a male bull and female cow, but they are expensive and they don't have very many offpsring. And they require a huge pasture.  I just don't have any data for how many dwarves a single butchered fully grown cow will feed vs how many an alpaca will feed.
Alpacas, seem to look good and make a lot of babies, but how much meat and fat do they produce? They also seem to get into fights and unjure themselves.
I brought 2 dogs to breed and now I have dozens of puppies. Its going to be a dogsplosion soon. I have dogs on top of my perimeter walls.. How? Theres no ramps or stairs that lead up there.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 26, 2012, 06:01:40 am »

Dogs are pretty good for all ofthat.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #254 on: February 26, 2012, 06:32:53 am »

Has it been determined whether or not a crutch has an effect on the healing process itself, and not just the method of allowing a dwarf with a leg injury to move?
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 422