Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 849807 times)

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3705 on: January 02, 2013, 03:27:06 pm »

Everything seems fine so far. The blue path is meaningless, it's like that on every route, but the carts should follow the track irregardless.
I set up a track like you did. Stop 1 is set to "guide east immediately when empty of any items" and Stop 2 has the same settings but guides south instead. The dwarfs happily push it to and fro along the tracks.

Does it work for you if you try these settings?
Oh, wow, they followed the track when I changed it to your setup!

Then I changed the settings back to carry items again--and they are still following the track! Excellent! Thanks!
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: January 02, 2013, 05:00:44 pm »

I would love to make my dwarves a water source inside the fort can someone tell me how?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3707 on: January 02, 2013, 05:49:39 pm »

There are a number of ways to do this, with the simplest being nothing more than diverting a river by mining out tiles and leading them into your fort.  Be very careful about the order in which you do this, and leave an escape path for your dwarf miner(s).  Also be careful in that water pressure exists: if you try mining into the side of a multiple z-level water source, it can rise up past the level you dig out!

A more proper method is creating a well.  This follows the same basic principle above: you need to get a pool of water inside your fort somewhere.  Then you need to construct the well on the z-level above the water source.  If there is no opening to do this with, you'll need to channel one out ('h' key under designations, I think).  Then I believe all you need is a bucket, construction materials such as stone (might need blocks?), a rope and a dwarf with the Architecture labor enabled.  Be aware that this is notoriously slow to complete.

If you have any specific problems, post that and we might be able to help further.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3708 on: January 02, 2013, 05:54:08 pm »

Code: [Select]
                                %O <-well
RIVER=================|         ||
      ^aqueduct       |====|  |====| <- a small storage in case of winter
                           |=====|
That's what I use in my forts, just remember to put fortifications in the aqueduct so you won't see zombie gobbos crawling out of the well.
And there is the problem - I always build my forts on the same level as river. If your well is deeper underground than your water source, it will flood your fortress. FUN included. If you want to reduce the pressure, do it like this: (top view)
Code: [Select]
O - wall # - floor

^^ RIVER ^^
 O#O
 O#O
 O#O
OO#OO
O#O#O
OO#OO
O#O#O
OO#OO
 O#O
 O#O
VV WELL VV
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: January 02, 2013, 06:59:37 pm »

The well nearly flooded my fortress.. It was perfect untill the well for some reason flooded the place why?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: January 02, 2013, 07:02:49 pm »

The well nearly flooded my fortress.. It was perfect untill the well for some reason flooded the place why?
Water pressure?
Water will always try to fill all the way up to the same z-level as it's source. So if you're drawing water from a river, either put the well one level above the river, depressurize the water with a diagonal, or make sure you can turn the water off at any time.

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: January 02, 2013, 07:14:03 pm »

Thing is it was fine UNTIL I made the well.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: January 02, 2013, 08:15:50 pm »

Just building a well shouldn't have any effect on the water under it.

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: January 03, 2013, 01:27:17 am »

For wells/reservoirs, I usually move water with buckets. That is, I make a pit activity zone and order it to be filled - i p P f, I think.
Not sure about your flooding issue.

Question of my own:

I'm confused about two overlaps in the stockpile menus:
I don't think I've ever used a "Corpse" stockpile - don't corpses usually just go to refuse? Is there any issue with not having a corpse stockpile? (I think I've never enabled "Corpses" in the year I've been playing DF).
Do clothes go in Finished Goods or Armor, or both? What about metal armor?

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: January 03, 2013, 01:50:37 am »

My vampire who I have convicted did not get a sentence. How do I kill him or is there something I can use him for?

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: January 03, 2013, 01:55:05 am »

My vampire who I have convicted did not get a sentence. How do I kill him or is there something I can use him for?
One man suicide squad.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: January 03, 2013, 04:09:17 am »

Sticking him in the military and having him permanently on station out front is a good use.  If you really want to just kill him, station him under a drawbridge and pull the lever.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: January 03, 2013, 04:15:19 am »

I'm confused about two overlaps in the stockpile menus:
I don't think I've ever used a "Corpse" stockpile - don't corpses usually just go to refuse? Is there any issue with not having a corpse stockpile? (I think I've never enabled "Corpses" in the year I've been playing DF).
Do clothes go in Finished Goods or Armor, or both? What about metal armor?
Animal corpses go to refuse, I guess. Gobbos, Treehuggers and Dorfs go to corpse stockpile. But I can be wrong, I use "mixed" stockpiles for butcher's shop.
Clothes should go to armor. Should.
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: January 03, 2013, 10:14:52 am »

A corpse stockpile is for dwarves (including caravans and, I think, zombies) and their pets, and any bodyparts thereof. Refuse covers everything else.

It's useful because it reminds you if you haven't correctly buried someone, and it gives a severed limb someplace to go while its owner is still up and about.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: January 03, 2013, 11:49:41 am »

A corpse stockpile is for dwarves (including caravans and, I think, zombies) and their pets, and any bodyparts thereof. Refuse covers everything else.

It's useful because it reminds you if you haven't correctly buried someone, and it gives a severed limb someplace to go while its owner is still up and about.

"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

creepy
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 422