Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 849628 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5625 on: November 30, 2013, 05:52:57 am »

I don't know about that, when I try to move a prisoner to the Depot, if it's a sentient being, he/she escapes

I think the technique was to get the caged prisoner on top of the depot (dumping or something) so hardly any hauling was required. I forgot if it actually worked. I just said some science was done, not that it worked.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: November 30, 2013, 06:19:09 am »

You say you've tried removing the construction designation and recreating it and that doesn't help?  Are you using mods by chance?  I've had situations where flyers in fort mode will consistently do this and I have to keep retrying it until something that doesn't fly picks up the job.

In all likelihood that isn't your problem, so is it possible to create another path to the construction site?  Possibly a temporary one?  I've never had to do this, but I've heard of it helping some others, especially if you're constructing near ramps.

Not the problem.
They have the COMPLETE option to not stand in the place of the wall bit being constructed, but chose to stand on it every time.
SO, I decided to move the wall, and make a smaller reservoir out of my pure laziness.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: November 30, 2013, 11:21:55 am »

Dwarves can be a bit weird when there's an up or down ramp next to the tile you want built.

You can either remove an already-placed construction, to give the dwarf somewhere acceptable to stand, or remove the ramp / build a bridge or floor over the gap.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: November 30, 2013, 11:59:18 am »

yeah there is something about them standing on the first tile available to them and that may be the construction spot.  I've built temp walls to make them approach the problem spot from another direction.  And I have tunneled a temp path when I don't plan far enough ahead.  You learn the old carpentry saying "measure twice; cut once" after a while.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

bleekmiddel

• Bay Watcher
  • who are you gonna call? DWARF FORTRESS!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: November 30, 2013, 01:00:37 pm »

i have a question.
in the building menu i can't find the magma furnace stuf anywhere even under the furnace tab do i first have to hit the magma layer or do i have a bug

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: November 30, 2013, 01:06:30 pm »

Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

bleekmiddel

• Bay Watcher
  • who are you gonna call? DWARF FORTRESS!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: November 30, 2013, 01:26:47 pm »

thanks allot

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: November 30, 2013, 06:16:03 pm »

One more magma question. I have a chamber where I can mix magma and water, there did grow a few trees in it and when I added magma I expected that they burned away, but they seem to ignore the surrounding magma (and it is normal underground-trees). Is that normal? Or have I fucked something up with dfhacks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: November 30, 2013, 06:20:38 pm »

One more magma question. I have a chamber where I can mix magma and water, there did grow a few trees in it and when I added magma I expected that they burned away, but they seem to ignore the surrounding magma (and it is normal underground-trees). Is that normal? Or have I fucked something up with dfhacks.

It's a known bug that trees don't burn in magma, along with trees growing underwater.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: November 30, 2013, 06:52:10 pm »

Thanks.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: November 30, 2013, 08:45:32 pm »

So, I have some new migrants....
Worried my Suturer is, well a vampire.
They have moderate social skills, but no kills, only relationships seem to be in fort, and no signs of vamping about the place.....
They're Adept in 3 Skills, and higher than that in a 4th
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5636 on: November 30, 2013, 08:51:06 pm »

So, I have some new migrants....
Worried my Suturer is, well a vampire.
They have moderate social skills, but no kills, only relationships seem to be in fort, and no signs of vamping about the place.....
They're Adept in 3 Skills, and higher than that in a 4th

Go into their thoughts screen, and check how many civilizations they've been a part of. Vampires are usually members of many different groups, due to their age. Also check their thoughts about when they last had alcohol, assuming your fort isn't a sober one. Vampires don't drink, but they'll still complain about not drinking any booze.

If you want to be sure, you could lock them in a room and wait to see if they get hungry or thirsty.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: November 30, 2013, 08:52:13 pm »

Maybe check out in legends mode the history of that dwarf?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5638 on: November 30, 2013, 09:05:24 pm »

Maybe check out in legends mode the history of that dwarf?

They use a fake name when they migrate to your fort, so if you want to find them in legends you will have to give them a custom name, check their relationship status, write down the name of their gods, then check every single god's history to see if the custom name you gave them shows up.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: November 30, 2013, 09:12:22 pm »

How do I get my dwarves to store an artifact large gem and an artifact gem flask? I'd like to get them out of the farming area.
Pages: 1 ... 374 375 [376] 377 378 ... 422