Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 849870 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5640 on: November 30, 2013, 09:35:13 pm »

How do I get my dwarves to store an artifact large gem and an artifact gem flask? I'd like to get them out of the farming area.

Unfortunately you can't. Stockpiles can only store small cut gems. All other things made of gemstone are not stockpile-able, they simply aren't options in the stockpile materials lists.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: November 30, 2013, 10:59:03 pm »

Maybe check out in legends mode the history of that dwarf?

They use a fake name when they migrate to your fort, so if you want to find them in legends you will have to give them a custom name, check their relationship status, write down the name of their gods, then check every single god's history to see if the custom name you gave them shows up.

Forgot about custom names. Well, you don't even have to use legends, you just go to the deity, and their history.
He's been part of The Worthy Boat, formerly. He also a citizen of The Renowned Girder.
So, he's been around?
I'll check his name....
Crap, he lacks a deity!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There you have it. No proof either way he is. He is a very sneaky vampire, having no family, no deities, only passing acquaintances, and a pet. That is, if he is a vampire.
I left his name, as I WILL be checking legends now.
Wait, how do I check legends? Don't I have to abandon the fort?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 11:02:41 pm by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: November 30, 2013, 11:05:11 pm »

Save your game.  Copy the save folder.  Start your game from the copied save, and abandon.  Check legends.

Profit.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: November 30, 2013, 11:50:30 pm »

They use a fake name when they migrate to your fort, so if you want to find them in legends you will have to give them a custom name, check their relationship status, write down the name of their gods, then check every single god's history to see if the custom name you gave them shows up.

Forgot about custom names. Well, you don't even have to use legends, you just go to the deity, and their history.
He's been part of The Worthy Boat, formerly. He also a citizen of The Renowned Girder.
So, he's been around?

Is that all of it? That's about the usual for mortal dwarves, vampires would have tens of formerly member of blankety blank.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5644 on: December 01, 2013, 12:13:40 am »

So, he's been around?

Is that all of it? That's about the usual for mortal dwarves, vampires would have tens of formerly member of blankety blank.

Used Legends. I know about Vamps, and I've had 3 total Vamps across my 7 or so forts.
I guess I'm concerned, because in comes a migrant, who's Social Stats are through the roof, with no relatives, and everyone he knows is a pet, or a passing acquaintance....
It just seemed like something should be up.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: December 01, 2013, 04:39:10 am »

When vampires were new such vampire paranoia was quite common, it was funny. Here's another check, does he have a bedroom claimed?

as for the rest:
with so few previous entity memberships, it's unlikely to be an old vampire (if he is one). Old vampires tend to either move around a lot as they are discovered or become the leader of a city and never have to move again. If it's not an old vampire, his relatives should still be alive. Having no relations could also happen if the dwarf is a young survivor of a goblin raid, were-beast infestation or a rampaging vampire. Having no relation with any god means it is highly unlikely any god turned him into a vampire, which is how it works in world-gen. Alast point to check is your world history. Is it a young world, short history? He could be a randomly generated 'first of his kind'. Those don't have a family.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: December 01, 2013, 12:48:01 pm »

How do I get my dwarves to store an artifact large gem and an artifact gem flask? I'd like to get them out of the farming area.

Unfortunately you can't. Stockpiles can only store small cut gems. All other things made of gemstone are not stockpile-able, they simply aren't options in the stockpile materials lists.

Hm, is there a way I can move them via DFhack?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: December 01, 2013, 02:34:14 pm »

There might be a script that would work, but I don't know of one. The only thing I can think of would be autodump, but since you can't mark an artifact for dumping, autodump won't be usable.

You might be able to use changeitem to change the artifact material to something that can be stockpiled, then change it back once it is put away, but I have never used changeitem on an artifact, so I have no idea of any potential problems with that.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: December 01, 2013, 02:43:37 pm »

Wait, aren't large gems listed under 'finished goods,' for the purposes of stockpiling?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: December 01, 2013, 02:48:59 pm »

Wait, aren't large gems listed under 'finished goods,' for the purposes of stockpiling?

Yes, but gemstones aren't available in the finished goods stockpile materials list.

The only category that has gemstones as possible materials is the gem stockpile, which can only accept small cut gems.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5650 on: December 01, 2013, 02:57:41 pm »

I must be misunderstanding something, here.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5651 on: December 01, 2013, 03:04:58 pm »

I must be misunderstanding something, here.

Yes, like I said, check the allowable materials. Even though large gems are allowed items in the stockpile, gemstones are not an allowed material, so large gems will not be stockpiled unless they are made of stone.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5652 on: December 01, 2013, 03:26:44 pm »

Ahhh, of course.  Now I getcha.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5653 on: December 01, 2013, 08:40:09 pm »

How do I get my dorfs to not dogpile into a single tile of a 12 tile sand collection zone?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5654 on: December 02, 2013, 03:16:28 am »

There's some more info on this in the bug report: 0004430: Large gems not moved to stockpile

In the notes, Quietust offers a creative solution:
One temporary workaround is to edit material_template_default.txt and add [IS_STONE] to STONE_TEMPLATE, load the fortress and add the gem types to your stockpiles, wait for the gem items to be stockpiled, then edit material_template_default.txt and change it back (so as to prevent the game from getting confused about materials having both IS_STONE and IS_GEM simultaneously).

Might be worth trying.

I don't know how you feel about using mods, but:
In the future, you may want to consider the This belongs in a museum mod or similar to allow your dwarves to build a "Display Case" building which can use an artifact (any type) as a component. This allows one to incorporate an artifact into a type of furniture, which greatly increases the room's value and quality, literally making a room fit for nobility. As a bonus, it will protect it from thieves.

Granted, that's an old mod for an older version of DF. But a number of other mods use something similar these days. I know Modest Mod has a "Pedestals building". I'm not sure if Accelerated Modest Mod has this. But since (one of two versions) incorporates Modest Mod it might. I also know Deon's old Genesis mod had a "Display Case" workshop.

This post mentions how to add the code to DF. Though, it may or may not need fixing to work with 0.34.11. Unfortunately, you can't just add it to the raws of a saved game. You'd have to add it and start a new world for it to take effect.

There might be a script that would work, but I don't know of one. The only thing I can think of would be autodump, but since you can't mark an artifact for dumping, autodump won't be usable.

You might be able to use changeitem to change the artifact material to something that can be stockpiled, then change it back once it is put away, but I have never used changeitem on an artifact, so I have no idea of any potential problems with that.

I'd be interested myself to learn if there is a DFHack solution. I could not find anything in their readme that might help. So I posted about it here in the DFHack thread.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 05:25:20 am by Thundercraft »
Pages: 1 ... 375 376 [377] 378 379 ... 422