Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 849823 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #6240 on: June 28, 2014, 07:11:51 pm »

a dwarf inside my "inside" burrow is spamming the message "cancel store item in stockpile, drop-off inaccessible". He is hauling clay to a stockpile. I've double checked and the burrow is connected. Both sites are underground. I don't know what to do. Help.
Look for a wheelbarrow in a place your burrow doesn't cover.  My usual problem when I can't quite nail down that particular spam.

Kirkegaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: June 29, 2014, 04:50:51 am »

I have a minor problem with a undead rodent that have been put on fire by my dragon. It will not die, and my soldiers will not attack it. How do I get it killed of?

edit: solved with dfhack exterminate undead.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 05:39:29 am by Kirkegaard »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: June 29, 2014, 07:23:27 am »

I have a minor problem with a undead rodent that have been put on fire by my dragon. It will not die, and my soldiers will not attack it. How do I get it killed of?

edit: solved with dfhack exterminate undead.

Crossbows probably would've done the job too.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Hetairos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: June 29, 2014, 11:34:16 am »

Are there any quirks of liquid-triggered pressure plates it's better to be aware of? For example, what happens if I set the minimum depth to 0, and other such things.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: June 29, 2014, 06:57:44 pm »

Is there any way to check 1/10th values in your smelter?
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

§k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: June 30, 2014, 08:38:47 am »

Do boots cover toes? I've heard about that gloves don't cover fingers.
All of them are wearing copper and Iron masks saying "in a time before time somebody attacked somebody"

Show undead posts since last visit.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: June 30, 2014, 09:12:04 am »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: June 30, 2014, 12:37:23 pm »

I read that hammers work best vs undead. Do cross bows do any damage?

Bolts fired from a crossbow do a tremendous amount of damage to undead.  Unlike everything else in the game, undead use a "hit point" system, which Toady is not satisfied with but is using as a stopgap.  A bolt (especially metal) traveling at crossbow-fired speeds does a shitload of HP damage, usually taking out smaller undead in a single shot.  Larger ones, like undead yaks, may need multiple hits.
Don't forget that in the next version, HP system will be thrown away in favor of pulpable body parts, which might make undead zombies mighty adversaries again.
._.

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: June 30, 2014, 02:56:38 pm »

I've been futzing around in world gen looking for an embark region with both a cave and a volcano. No luck yet. Does anyone know which tile will show on the world map?
EDIT: Finally found one. Caves seem to take precedence over volcanos.

Also, how exactly do the cave size min and max world gen parameters translate? The wiki only says that they appear to control cave size, but gives no indication of how much larger a single increment will make a cave.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:35:48 pm by m-logik »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: June 30, 2014, 09:19:37 pm »

Also, how exactly do the cave size min and max world gen parameters translate? The wiki only says that they appear to control cave size, but gives no indication of how much larger a single increment will make a cave.
Probably because nobody knows. This seems less than super important to most people probably, so I doubt anybody has done painstaking research.

If you do care enough, you could. Do a bunch of different numbers and count cave volumes that result in different test worlds, etc.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: July 01, 2014, 12:35:00 am »

I've noticed that the options to include sights with HFS while searching for a site is gone. Does that mean that adamantine is found on all maps now?

Also, what's a dangerous yet fun place to start a fort? I was thinking of a tower but searching for both a tower and some metals sounds hard (wish there was a search feature for more things)

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: July 01, 2014, 01:21:07 am »

I am trying to drain a river but can't remember how I did it last time. I seem to recall it was possible to do so by pumping from each tile across into a cistern of sorts that didn't drain. I tried like this before

WWWWW
W~~~~W
W====W
W . . . . W
WWWWW

W = wall
~ = river
= = screw pump
. = floor

but it seemed to only go until the floor was filled to 7/7. So either my previous successful attempt was bugged out or it is a matter of needing to extend the floor tiles south because of how screw pumps work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: July 01, 2014, 07:29:28 am »

I've noticed that the options to include sights with HFS while searching for a site is gone. Does that mean that adamantine is found on all maps now?

Also, what's a dangerous yet fun place to start a fort? I was thinking of a tower but searching for both a tower and some metals sounds hard (wish there was a search feature for more things)

Adamantine is found on almost all maps now, yes.  If I recall, using the standard embark size is almost guaranteed to get you adamantine, but if you use a smaller embark it might be possible to miss it.  I can't remember the specifics, but the adamantine veins are placed randomly in 4x4 world tiles or something like that.  I'm sure someone else (or maybe the wiki) can clarify and correct that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: July 01, 2014, 07:54:54 am »

Just for added precision:
In each 2x2 plot of embark squares - following the main grid - one square is randomly chosen and gets an adamantine pillar placed in it. A grid-aligned standard embark (4x4) is made up of exactly four of these sub-squares and thus always has four tubes, the smallest embarkable area is a 2x2, and will hold exactly one tube if it's aligned with the grid. If you don't follow the base grid and/or work with odd-numbered embark dimensions, the exact number of tubes you get is a matter of luck.

Source:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69048.msg1677543#msg1677543
(also quoted on the wiki, under "raw adamantine": http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Raw_adamantine#Location)
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 422