Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 847122 times)

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #6255 on: July 01, 2014, 08:34:38 am »

I made a fort with the purpose of turning everyone into vampires, but none will show up. I know there are vampires alive in my civilization. I savescummed 20 times right before the year 2 spring migration wave. Is it possible I disabled vampire immigration somehow?

edit: So i finally got one in the summer. Maybe they are not allowed to come too early?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 11:57:35 am by ancistrus »

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: July 01, 2014, 10:32:11 am »

I am trying to drain a river but can't remember how I did it last time. I seem to recall it was possible to do so by pumping from each tile across into a cistern of sorts that didn't drain. I tried like this before

WWWWW
W~~~~W
W====W
W . . . . W
WWWWW

W = wall
~ = river
= = screw pump
. = floor

but it seemed to only go until the floor was filled to 7/7. So either my previous successful attempt was bugged out or it is a matter of needing to extend the floor tiles south because of how screw pumps work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your description is a little confusing.  But it sounds like you were draining the river into a cistern, and that cistern never got full the last time but this time it did.

That's a bug I've seen near oceans.  I'm guessing this time you are far inland.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: July 01, 2014, 03:52:19 pm »

It seems vampires don't get bad thoughts from being naked, can someone quickly confirm this?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: July 01, 2014, 05:00:01 pm »

My vampires definitely got unhappy thoughts from rotted or absent clothing. Nakedness takes a while to trigger thoughts (otherwise dwarfs on a pick up equipment quest would be in danger of going insane simply because they remove and drop the old clothes before retrieving their new duds).

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: July 02, 2014, 09:14:09 am »

Hmm, i have a child that dropped out of the healthcare system right now. I've no idea what triggers it, but the patient will show "Rest" and be unconscious, but no treatment jobs are generated. Feeding and watering works fine (presumably because it's unconscious).

So far i've tried
- tipping it out of bed - got one (of three missing) job done, then nothing - three months and counting. Child lies on the floor, flashing both the orange "what next?" question mark and the "wounded, unconscious" white X, not the "Z" of resting.
- rebuilding the bed - nothing (child is probably not counted as in bed - presumably they built the bed on top of it?)
- removing the hospital zone - nothing
- removing the chief medic - nothing
- reinstating the hospital/CMD - nothing
- sending all civilians to a far-off burrow, then releasing the alert - nothing
- dropping an animal on the child - nothing (not even a collision, seems the prone child can't be hit)
- dropping an item on the child - broke the other hand, no healthcare jobs generated (reverted to last save)

Anyone has an idea if this is currently fixable?

inb4 magma the child - yeah, i know: i'm not sociopathic enough. Shut it :P

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: July 02, 2014, 09:18:51 am »

How many dwarfs have healthcare jobs enabled? Currently these seem very low priority, so enabling healthcare jobs on more dwarfs and having lots of idlers should help. I enable Diagnosis on everyone, some people enable all healthcare jobs on everyone, that seems to do the trick.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: July 02, 2014, 09:29:40 am »

Everyone has all healthcare jobs enabled. No amount of idlers and waiting does anything. As i said, it receives food and water regularly, it's not that treating it is low on the totem pole, the child just plain dropped out of the system.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: July 02, 2014, 09:33:03 am »

Are all materials for the missing jobs available (like splints or thread, or soap)?

What jobs are missing exactly?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 09:35:22 am by XXSockXX »

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: July 02, 2014, 10:10:55 am »

None :P

I just brute-forced it by heavy raw-hacking: removed and immediately restored everybody's brain. The patient (also hacked to be adult early) got up and went to rest again and was properly treated in the space of two days. Nothing about the healthcare system was changed, no jobs altered, no new materials acquired, and healthcare had been steadfastly ignoring the child for six months.

It really genuinely was a dwarf who got stuck in a buggy unconscious state - ignored by healthcare and unable to properly return to rest. Nothing was missing but the proper resting status of the patient, and i found no non-hackish way to get them unstuck. This is the third time i've seen this problem, and the second time a child tipped out of bed didn't get back into the system but got permanently stuck.

The hallmark of this bugged state appears to be flashing the white X of wounded/unconscious, together with a "looking for a new job" orange question mark, while status shows "unconscious" and job (usually) "Rest".

I have a save in the bugged state. In case anyone wants a look, i can upload it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: July 02, 2014, 02:16:37 pm »

Okay. I wrote a DFHack plugin that's supposed to deal with healthcare-bugged dwarves, and it'll be nice to have someone else's bugged dwarf to look at.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: July 02, 2014, 05:10:32 pm »

Here you go:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8725
I set the affected child's profession to "patient" and configured the hotkeys F7 and F8 to zoom to him.

Hospital history shows he has been treated - the last time in Hematite, immediately after he was tipped out of bed, but never since. Treatment was extremely sporadic before, but after falling out of bed, it completely stopped. In the continued game, i finally hacked him back to normal in late Moonstone (early winter) - after six months of being ignored by healthcare. Labours, workers and materials were in plentiful supply and he received water and food regularly. His hand actually healed in the meantime, but the stuck status and the treatment plan never cleared up. The jobs were generated and carried out immediately after the fix.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: July 02, 2014, 10:24:06 pm »

When does the rainy season begin and end in a tropical biome?

Also, does caving in an aquifer layer not work sometimes? Apparently the soil layer that's caving in can occasionally become the aquifer layer, at least going by what the wiki says, but that hasn't ever happened to me so far.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 10:34:50 pm by samanato »

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: July 02, 2014, 11:58:55 pm »

I am trying to drain a river but can't remember how I did it last time. I seem to recall it was possible to do so by pumping from each tile across into a cistern of sorts that didn't drain. I tried like this before

WWWWW
W~~~~W
W====W
W . . . . W
WWWWW

W = wall
~ = river
= = screw pump
. = floor

but it seemed to only go until the floor was filled to 7/7. So either my previous successful attempt was bugged out or it is a matter of needing to extend the floor tiles south because of how screw pumps work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your description is a little confusing.  But it sounds like you were draining the river into a cistern, and that cistern never got full the last time but this time it did.

That's a bug I've seen near oceans.  I'm guessing this time you are far inland.

Must have been something like that, I routed the water underground and drained it off the map and it finally worked.

On another if I mod a bird to have dive hunts vermin post world gen will that work? or would I need to regen the world. I embarked on a region that can have peregrine falcons but doesn't seem to, it does have other predatory birds. I am trying to avoid almost any free tame animals.

@samanato: I don't think there is a set figure for how long rain will last even within a biome type. I have had embarks where it rained basically all year round and in the same biome type where it rains in a much more normal manner.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: July 03, 2014, 05:21:50 pm »

Okay, dwarven healthcare tweaking...

The script doesn't flag him up. What I've noticed with my bugged dwarves is that they have a drowsiness value of -1, and Momuz is at 0. I keep getting an error when I try and set the drowsiness to anything but "< 0". I'm not sure how to make the script apply to him. I'm not convinced it would do anything anyway -- the notes on mine say it's for conscious but stuck dwarves, who aren't being taken care of or getting to a hospital. Momuz is being fed and watered, at least.

Using fullheal leaves him fully healed, but still lying there unconscious with the Rest job.

The most consistent in-game way of getting him back into the healthcare system is to use the handily-placed hole in the ceiling to drop a bucket on him.

Everyone has all healthcare jobs enabled.
The save you gave me has eight dwarves with all the healthcare jobs, plus one who has only Bone Setting and the usual feeding / recovery enabled. Did you change it before uploading?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: July 03, 2014, 06:07:31 pm »

Oh, i thought there were more. I enabled a bunch more after making the save, basically just looked at dwarfs who showed "idle" and toggled healthcare full for them; probably still only ended up with a dozen to fifteen - out of, what was it, thirty adults? Plenty, anyway.

You mean throwing water on him works? Something to keep in mind if this ugly bug surfaces again.

PS - meh, for me, dropping stuff on him just resulted in a broken hand and no change in status. On the mantis page, someone suggested building a cage trap underneath a (bugged) unconscious dwarf. This might actually work.

EDIT - yes it does! Momuz was instantly stuffed into the cage when the trap was loaded, and released from the built cage. He then went to rest in the nearest hospital bed and was treated.

It's of course a single case, but the result is encouraging. Definitely something to keep in mind in case this thing happens again.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 02:11:28 pm by Larix »
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 422