Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 847116 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #6300 on: July 16, 2014, 07:34:24 am »

how do u manage brewing, processing, preparing meals?

When I notice booze levels getting a bit low, or a bunch of barrels & plants in the stockpiles that I have specifically created around the still, then I just order "Brew drink from plant" on repeat.  A brewer will chug through all the plants & barrels in those stockpile, and then stop.  That'll keep everything boozed up for a couple months.

Similarly, when the z -> Kitchen menu has a bunch of cookable things, I go to the kitchen and order "Prepare lavish meal" on repeat.  By the time the ingredients run out, I'm practically drowning in roasts.

When a bunch of pig tails are stockpiled around the farmer's workshop which is dedicated to pig tail processing, I go into that workshop and order "Process plant" on repeat.  That'll threadify all the pig tails.  I leave "Auto loom" enabled, so the threads automatically get clothified (except for whatever the hospital grabs first).

You only have to do these mass jobs a few times a year, but you can check more often if you prefer.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ryansee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6301 on: July 16, 2014, 08:52:46 am »

I hope I am not asking to many questions.

http://imgur.com/a/U1T4q

This image recommends equiping military dwarves in a certain order, can someone explain that more to me? how do i make them equip in a certain order

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6302 on: July 16, 2014, 10:00:33 am »

I hope I am not asking to many questions.

http://imgur.com/a/U1T4q

This image recommends equiping military dwarves in a certain order, can someone explain that more to me? how do i make them equip in a certain order

Ignore that part.  It's based on a combination of (a) Older version of game, (b) Improper understanding of how equpiment weight affects combat and training, and (c) Knowledge partially acquired from adventure mode rather than fortress mode.

Don't give your dwarves 3 mail shirts and 12 cloaks and 17 pairs of mittens and so on.  Just be sensible instead.  One mail shirt, one helm, one pair of gauntlets, one pair of boots, one greaves or leggings.  Maybe add a cloak and a hood (I do that).  One shield, and one weapon.

Weighing down your dwarves slows their movement.  In 0.34.11 and older, slower movement also means fewer attacks, slower training of skills, etc.  EVERYTHING they do is negatively affected.  Armor User skill, strength and agility help mitigate that, but there's really not much point in giving them multiple copies of the same armor anyway.  It certainly doesn't do enough to overcome the burden (literal) of multiple heavy armors.

In 0.40, attack speed is separate from movement speed, so you might be able to glean some benefit from multiple armor, but I don't think it has been properly studied yet.  (And this isn't the 0.40 thread, so....)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6303 on: July 16, 2014, 11:10:27 am »

One mail shirt, one helm, one pair of gauntlets, one pair of boots, one greaves or leggings.  Maybe add a cloak and a hood (I do that).  One shield, and one weapon.
I'd add a breastplate, too, for blunt protection.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:13:21 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6304 on: July 16, 2014, 01:19:49 pm »

Do civilian alert burrows and burrow assignments play well together? If I'm in the middle of a civilian alert, can I assign civilians to other burrows?

What about the militia, will they obey burrow restrictions if I have the squad stationing outside of the burrow?

My intention is to build little panic rooms near the edge of the map, so that my dwarves out doing jobs won't try to run all the way back through the front door. Some always don't make it. If I could assign them to burrows in the panic rooms, and then have them travel back through a drawbridge-safe passage to the main fort, I could get them in safely.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6305 on: July 16, 2014, 04:12:17 pm »

How do I determine which way a stream is flowing?  One side of the stream has constantly changing number at the edge of the map.  Is that the source or where it exits?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6306 on: July 16, 2014, 04:16:43 pm »

The exit.

The numbers represent the water level, with 7 being the maximum and 1 being the (wet) minimum.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6307 on: July 18, 2014, 02:54:11 am »

So I recently traded some gems for a (tamed) mandrill, and I want to train it for war.
I have a training zone set up, the mandrill is correctly set to be trained, and there's a (high master) animal trainer present, but the mandrill doesn't get trained - it just chills at the training zone with the trainer, who gives me mass job cancellation spam. What gives?
(The cancellation message is 'no creature', if that helps.)
Black lives matter.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #6308 on: July 18, 2014, 05:29:21 am »

So I recently traded some gems for a (tamed) mandrill, and I want to train it for war.
I have a training zone set up, the mandrill is correctly set to be trained, and there's a (high master) animal trainer present, but the mandrill doesn't get trained - it just chills at the training zone with the trainer, who gives me mass job cancellation spam. What gives?
(The cancellation message is 'no creature', if that helps.)
Animal training is bugged at the moment.
(And if you have more questions about the 2014 version, you can use this thread.)
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6309 on: July 18, 2014, 10:26:28 am »

So I looked at my rooms in my current fort and found.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6310 on: July 18, 2014, 11:26:13 am »

Oookay, so I had some calfs that starved to death but for some reason my dwarves won't butcher the dead remains though they were more than happy to move it to the refuse pile. Are baby animals no longer valid for butchering and/or if they starve?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6311 on: July 18, 2014, 12:13:24 pm »

The corpses of Tame animals cannot be butchered.  Only the corpses of Wild animals can be butchered.  Tame animals must be slaughtered while alive, not butchered.

Slaughtering is where a dwarf leads the living animal to the butcher's shop and instantaneously transforms it into a pile of skin, bones, meat, etc.  Butchering is where a dwarf hauls a corpse or other body part to the butcher's shop and then spends a week transforming it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6312 on: July 18, 2014, 02:31:59 pm »

So I looked at my rooms in my current fort and found.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ignore it unless you can very quickly deal with the FPS hell that it unleashes.

Lever-operated menacing spikes are good, but might be torn apart by fiery death throes. In that case, save your nicest stuff for the end of the corridor. You can make spike traps more effective by having a setup like this:

(The spikes go where the pool of blood is.)

When creatures have multiple doors to destroy, they spread their efforts evenly between the doors. A single creature will spend a while on the spike tile beating at the doors, especially if its legs get taken out in an early attack.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6313 on: July 18, 2014, 04:11:55 pm »

See I was thinking it might be better to make it accessible from my fort but leave it alone and attempt to visit it as an adventurer. I will probably leave it alone anyways as I doubt I could deal with what it unleashes.

On another note: flies, oh god, the flies. I know that not letting food stay out of barrels and rot helps but is there any in game way to  get rid of them.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6314 on: July 23, 2014, 05:29:49 pm »

I'm stuck on a Calm(all biomes) island and only the Mountainhomes have access to me, what kind of(military) fun can I have? I was expecting nothing, but I just got visitted by a wererhino, does that mean titans and the like will reach me too? Are calm caverns filled with baddies too?
Pages: 1 ... 419 420 [421] 422